cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Strix Scar II laptop GPU Perf limiter and Coil Whine problem

fsrt_
Level 7
Hi Guys!

Ibought a new Strix Scar II GL504G laptop yesterday!
Sadly I already need your help.

I've sent a ticket to the tech support team yesterday, sadly no replies as of now, so I thought my best shot is getting in touch with the community here. 🙂

I've been using a laptop with the exact same specs as my current one (i7 8750h 16gb 1060 6gb) for the past 2 weeks so I just copied the settings I know to work decent.
Set power plan and all the energy consumtion settings to prefer consistant performance, updated the drivers to the afaik best working versions, downloaded my games and started playing.

Here the issues started to pile up. The games would enter a "time slow" phase every 10 seconds for a solid 3-4 seconds. Meaning lagging unusually.
Checked the performance logs, SSD was jumping to 100%, so I've uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage tech, cleared up the Windows update leftover files, just the usual really.
After this, SSD was no longer jumping to 100% but the games still did not work properly.

Downloaded Unigine benchmarks (Heaven, Valley and Superposition) and tested the laptop:

Heaven and Valley both performed really bad ~60 FPS with minor drops but Superposition took the cake with ~30 FPS in 4k and 8k Opimised but 17 FPS in 1080p Extreme.
In Valley and Superposition GPU speed is stuck at 1700 mhz, in Heaven it goes up to 1900 mhz.

Thermal throttling was out of question, so figured it was Voltage Throttle.
Seems it doesn't get enough power to keep the GPU above 1700mhz.
Also for some reason it only shows 4GB of memory instead of 6GB, I might be wrong here, Im not that experienced with the stuff related to GPUs.

Anyways, downloaded Asus RoG Game Center and it shows the following while idle and while trying to play a game:

GPU Perf limiter switches to Power mode when the GPU needs to perform and throttles it.

My other big problem is the coil whine / loud processing noise when not doing anything. The laptop makes really loud noises, like an old HDD squeeking.
My HDD is empty and not in use so I belive there might be some electrical interference, I've heard lots of other RoG owners experience the same, any ideas how to fix it?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
Fsr
24 REPLIES 24

I have the same issue but only when putting the scar ii on my cooling pad.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105890-Strix-Scar-II-Cooling-Pad-Causes-FPS-Drop-Terribly&...

cumeo wrote:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105890-Strix-Scar-II-Cooling-Pad-Causes-FPS-Drop-Terribly&...

Thats really bad, altho not the cause of issue for me.
Even when not on a pad it still laggs:

Same throttling when not on cooling pad:

cumeo wrote:

I have the same laptop and the same problem.

On a flat surface is fine, tilt the laptop a little bit and it start dropping frames.

Hello guys. I am facing the same problem in my Strix Scar 2 though my ssd and is alright.
Its only been 3-4 days using it.
I have no clues as to what may be causing this.
My game frames drop every 2 seconds. Its annoying and frustrating.
May I know which SSD does your system have ?

Is there any solution or fix by ASUS??

incredibleSF wrote:

I regitstered a complaint with Asus and they told me to do all the steps which I had already tried.
Fresh Install Windows
Update BIOS
Update Graphics Card Drivers

Apart from that they have told me to go in for On-Site warranty. No potential fix apart from getting it fixed from a Asus service engineer.
Its really astonishing as to why Asus is not looking into this matter and its happening on a lot of Scar 2 notebooks.

Here is the link to my thread Im facing the same issue.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106198-Asus-strix-Scar-2-GPU-underclocks-periodically-whil...

incredibleSF wrote:

they told me to send to them the laptop

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Have you tried my suggestion?
Underclock the GPU by around -200mhz and see what happens.

Anyways, looks like VRM overheating to me.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Have you tried my suggestion?
Underclock the GPU by around -200mhz and see what happens.

Anyways, looks like VRM overheating to me.

Yes, -200 as you've suggested.
Standard FPS dropped from 60 to 40-44 while moving and the throttling happens more often:

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Man that's really weird. I wonder what does the laptop inclination has to do with the performance.

I know my old lenovo y510p overheats if you tilt it too much, like more than 45 degrees, and I think it has something to do with the heat pipes not being able to conduct heat properly. But it takes a lot for that to happen.