cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Strix Scar II laptop GPU Perf limiter and Coil Whine problem

fsrt_
Level 7
Hi Guys!

Ibought a new Strix Scar II GL504G laptop yesterday!
Sadly I already need your help.

I've sent a ticket to the tech support team yesterday, sadly no replies as of now, so I thought my best shot is getting in touch with the community here. 🙂

I've been using a laptop with the exact same specs as my current one (i7 8750h 16gb 1060 6gb) for the past 2 weeks so I just copied the settings I know to work decent.
Set power plan and all the energy consumtion settings to prefer consistant performance, updated the drivers to the afaik best working versions, downloaded my games and started playing.

Here the issues started to pile up. The games would enter a "time slow" phase every 10 seconds for a solid 3-4 seconds. Meaning lagging unusually.
Checked the performance logs, SSD was jumping to 100%, so I've uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage tech, cleared up the Windows update leftover files, just the usual really.
After this, SSD was no longer jumping to 100% but the games still did not work properly.

Downloaded Unigine benchmarks (Heaven, Valley and Superposition) and tested the laptop:

Heaven and Valley both performed really bad ~60 FPS with minor drops but Superposition took the cake with ~30 FPS in 4k and 8k Opimised but 17 FPS in 1080p Extreme.
In Valley and Superposition GPU speed is stuck at 1700 mhz, in Heaven it goes up to 1900 mhz.

Thermal throttling was out of question, so figured it was Voltage Throttle.
Seems it doesn't get enough power to keep the GPU above 1700mhz.
Also for some reason it only shows 4GB of memory instead of 6GB, I might be wrong here, Im not that experienced with the stuff related to GPUs.

Anyways, downloaded Asus RoG Game Center and it shows the following while idle and while trying to play a game:

GPU Perf limiter switches to Power mode when the GPU needs to perform and throttles it.

My other big problem is the coil whine / loud processing noise when not doing anything. The laptop makes really loud noises, like an old HDD squeeking.
My HDD is empty and not in use so I belive there might be some electrical interference, I've heard lots of other RoG owners experience the same, any ideas how to fix it?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
Fsr
24 REPLIES 24

SithV
Level 7
You cant fix it,is a "feature" by Asus and they consider this normal, so don't bother with RMA's and stuff, you'll just waste your time. The bottom line in any discussion with their tech support (after +99999 of awkward conversations and emails) is that your ears are too sensitive, but dont worry it will pass with age.

This is also my 1st time of purchasing a gaming laptop. I trust in ASUS notebook for its price over performance and quality but I think I was wrong after purchasing the Strix Scar II. Coil whine, fps drops randomly from 8x fps to 2x fps, aura core constantly conflicts with the Gladius II mouse. Things I've tried so far: clean installed windows, re flash the BIOS (V.304) and tried not to install the Inter Thermal Framework driver.

fsrt_
Level 7
Well guys, heres the throttling footage from Witcher 3 that I took like 20 mins ago.
GPU and Power settings were set to the ones recommended by the support team (been mailing them for 2 weeks now)

Also here are some more footage of older games throttling:

https://youtu.be/EZkOJRguFZI
https://youtu.be/aN4gMBYhizk
https://youtu.be/RkIFeSVMjXos

~Fsr(OC)

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
What's the GPU clocks when that happens? I can't see it on the video. Don't alt tab to check it. Enable it in the OSD.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
What's the GPU clocks when that happens? I can't see it on the video. Don't alt tab to check it. Enable it in the OSD.

Hello Fullmetaljacket7,

the GPU clocks are visible in this one:

Cheers,
Fsr

Have you tried a clean Windows install? What about the gpu drivers? Bios update?

About the VRAM size, check it using GPUz.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Have you tried a clean Windows install? What about the gpu drivers? Bios update?

About the VRAM size, check it using GPUz.

1st thing I did was a clean Windows install. Tried the Asus download site's driver, no luck, tried the newest (using it right now too) and the one I've read to be working fine.

All of the drivers were installed after uninstalling the previous one with Display Driver Uninstaller and installed clean in safe.

Also tried to only install the essential driver and not the rest, no luck tho.

Updated the BIOS to the newest before all of this.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
It seems like VRM overheating

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Try underclocking the GPU core by about -200mhz using msi afterburner and see if you still get those fps dips.