cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new gl502vmk realtek audio driver from asus website messed up something

necrophyte
Level 7
today i noticed that asus offers a newer realtek audio driver for my notebook (gl502vmk, bios 302, w10enterprise 64bit - https://www.asus.com/lk/support/Download/3/871/0/7/AKlM57EfLcqOGiAN/45/) - V6.0.1.8142 instead of my previously installed version V6.0.1.8051.

so i tried to install it, but after the automatic uninstall of the current driver and the restart, the installation of the new driver failed with error -000. though device manager still stated version ...8142 as the currently installed driver, so it seems to have succeeded. what i noticed is that when i plugged in my headphones, there was no red rog pop up window anymore that said that i plugged in headphones, and which also automatically switched the volume to my default headphone volume (which differs from my speaker volume).

still, i wanted to have a successfully installed audio driver, so i uninstalled it and tried again - same. so i went to the realtek website and tried the newest driver there - 6.0.1.8186. this one installed without any errors, but still there is no red rog pop up window anymore when i plug in my headphones and the volume isnt changed either.

so i reverted back to 8051 - but neither then this pop up window and automatic volume change appeared!

so something seems to have been broken since installing the newest realtek driver ***offered on asus website***...
i really only want this rog pop up window again that appears when i plug in my headphones and which automatically switches the volume to the one used when headphones are plugged in.

any help?
12 REPLIES 12

haihane
Level 13
Go to realtek program (it's on system tray). hit the wrench icon on the top right (next to the X button).
tick the box: Enable auto popup dialog, when device has been plugged in
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

necrophyte
Level 7
thanks, but there is no realtek icon in system tray... there is neither any realtek software installed, just searched for it again

haihane
Level 13
your install is screwed 😕
run CCleaner to flush out borked registry entries, then try reinstalling again.
use the last known well working version.

necrophyte
Level 7
did that, removed everything and also from device manager using delete driver files so after a restart only high definition audio with a windows default driver was left.

but the 8142 installer from asus website just leads to an endless loop of uninstalling the "old" driver - restart - again uninstall the "old" driver - restart - again.... yet the 8142 driver seems to have been installed after each restart as device manager says realtek high definition audio, v...8142

haihane
Level 13
that's why i said: use last known well working driver. 😕

ok. let's do this again:
1. remove all traces of realtek driver. if the asus website version gives you problem, don't use it.
2. run CCleaner. piriform's CCleaner. to remove pesky stuff, you bring the bazooka, not fly swatter.
3. restart
4. i hope you kept the old version. or find it in asus' site.
5. install the old version. cross your fingers and hope!

necrophyte
Level 7
this 8142 version just keeps getting installed automatically as soon as i restart... looked for it in the driverstore folder but didnt find it, now deleted all restore points and disabled system restore, made sure there is no realtek audio software installed and also uninstalled it from device manager again, of course cleaned with ccleaner as always and restarted > it installed itself again?!?!

gonna do the same again now but then install the old driver from asus website or the newest one from realtek website and report back..

necrophyte
Level 7
installed 8051, and now it works again... the pop up window when headphones get plugged in is called supreme fx - which indicates that the 8051 driver offered on asus website seems to be a custom realtek driver for asus. now there is even a realtek audio entry in the control panel.

asus should fix the downloads they provide on their own website or at least notify about removed features with newer driver versions, as 8142 and 8186 dont have supreme fx/realtek hd audio manager.

necrophyte
Level 7
heres an update as i dug in a bit deeper to analyze the issue:
the realtek hd audio manager in control panel is the file RtkNGUI64.exe located in program files/realtek/audio/hda, which also gets installed by other versions than 8051.

the problem is that in version 8142 and 8186 this file doesnt run, even if opened directly in its root folder. hence there is no realtek hd audio manager in control panel and no icon in system tray and no pop up when headphones get plugged in.

asus and/or realtek should check that...

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi necrophyte

Thank you for your information. I will ask test unit to confirm this driver.