cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with my GL551JW-DS74, SSD stopped appearing in POST screen, not booting

bazookalord
Level 7
Hello,

My machine currently has one 1TB sata hdd, and 1 256 GB ssd. For some reason the SSD has stopped appearing in the POST screen - and obviously the computer doesn't boot, since it has nowhere from where to do it.

This machine has international support, but where I currently am (Uruguay, South America... and I bought it on the US), the support apparently doesn't apply. Local 'official support' will rip my eyes off and also make me wait at least a month before solving my problems. They will take a whole damn week to just look at the notebook - and I already detected it is the SDD or the controller.

So I ask the following:

1) where is the sdd?
2) what kind of connectors it has?
3) what are the specs/model name?
I want to buy a new SDD in the US, bring it through a courier and install it, but preferably test and make sure I can actually do that before voiding the warranty.

I haven't been able to find any help article online, all videos that involve a SDD and this notebook model assume that I want to upgrade the HDD, not that it has two disks already. This is probably to avoid voiding the warranty, but I have no issues with that. Online official support has refused to give me information or instructions on this, I hope this forum is not as strict as that. If you can't do it as an employee for whatever reason, but you have the information, I'd love to find it suddenly on my email at bfigaresvillalba at gmail.com.

Thanks in advance.
1 REPLY 1

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
bazookalord wrote:

My machine currently has one 1TB sata hdd, and 1 256 GB ssd. For some reason the SSD has stopped appearing in the POST screen - and obviously the computer doesn't boot, since it has nowhere from where to do it.

Welcome to the forums!

fyi.
I'm showing the GL551JW-DS74 only came with a 128GB mSATA 'half-card' SSD, so you may want to look into that more if it matters.

bazookalord wrote:

So I ask the following:

1) where is the sdd?
2) what kind of connectors it has?
3) what are the specs/model name?
I want to buy a new SDD in the US, bring it through a courier and install it, but preferably test and make sure I can actually do that before voiding the warranty.

1) Unfortunately, it's not easy to get to the mSATA 'half-card' SSD, but check the thread below and post #4 for a video of the disassembly/upgrade (which can be found by searching the ROG forums). Just a reminder that you may void your warranty by opening up the unit and a disclaimer that I haven't confirmed that everything in the video is correct (Thanks to abhinav.0160 and HIDevolution for the video).
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61085-HELP-SATA-based-SSD-or-PCIe-based-M-2-SSD-for-ASUS-R...

2) The GL551JW uses mSATA 'half-card' SSDs (which I'm not sure that you can find in a 256GB version, but haven't checked much).

3) If you don't mind sending me a Private Message with your notebook serial number, I can confirm more details about your original factory installed mSATA SSD, but if somebody else upgraded it, I will not have information about it.
It's better not to post your serial number for your own security, but I may worry a bit too much.

This may not really work for you, but wanted to run some alternative ideas by you in case you run into any issues replacing the mSATA SSD.
Consider finding a 2.5 inch SSD to replace your 1TB SATA hd instead if the smaller storage size isn't too much of an issue (unless you plan to spend a lot of money on a larger SSD drive), but either way, you also need to find a way to reinstall Windows.
Not sure how much of a performance difference you would see, if any, going with a 2.5 inch SSD instead and something we may want to look into more.
If it helps, you may be able to find an external USB housing for your 2.5 inch 1TB SATA hd too as long as you don't mind carrying an external hard drive around and connecting by USB.

One more idea is to back up your 1TB SATA hd and install Windows on it instead if you don't mind booting to the slower mechanical hard drive until you can sort this out later, but you may also want to make sure you have a way to reinstall Windows.

Also, if you are able to replace your mSATA SSD (if it's defective), be sure to hang onto in case you ever want to get warranty service for it although I wonder if repair will ask you to send it back installed in the unit or not, but you may want to discuss with them later if necessary.

Good luck and hope this helps or others have better suggestions.