cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice Please Reply ASAP with my GL504GM FPS drops

Vsparda
Level 7
Good Day I notice that my ROG GL504GM is having hard FPS drops when i set the maximum processsor state in the battery power options but when i set it to 99% the Heavy Fps drops are gone.!! But i think this should not be happening to all of my games should i return this and let them check? is this a hardware defect?? Please reply ASAP i need help
17 REPLIES 17

Nihck5
Level 7
What’s your cpu clock speed while gaming with the maximum set to 100%?

Nihck5 wrote:
What’s your cpu clock speed while gaming with the maximum set to 100%?

My clock speed for CPU is 2654 and GPU is 4007

And i noticed when i ran benchmark on AC origins i saw my GPU graphs are throttling is it possible that my GPU is the one causing the FPS drops? because the graphs that is shown on the GPU tab is unstable compare to CPU graph

Vsparda wrote:
And i noticed when i ran benchmark on AC origins i saw my GPU graphs are throttling is it possible that my GPU is the one causing the FPS drops? because the graphs that is shown on the GPU tab is unstable compare to CPU graph

Bulllshiiiitt ....

please take part in this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106660-GL504GS-GM-useful-thread-Troubleshooting-amp-Guide

There are TWO different types of throttling (actually more)

Your GPU cause CPU to throttle (both types by two different ways):
- it generates heat, and actually heat CPU (because thermal solution on heat pipes work this way) more than it should (thermal throttling)
- it draws energy from power nodes, and low-level algorithm detects that MORE power than available are going (power limit throttling) in and cuts CPU power draw, - it is obvious as we can see that max power draw CPU WILL NOT EXCEED Turbo Boost Power Limit (70W default, 90W short time)
- ... and when PowerMax TB kicking in, it stays for ~30 sec (PowerMax window) and then boom Power Limit giving you FPS drop.

Why it is happening? Because GPU cannot predict available CPU cycles (as it predicts fluctuation under some coridor - 3.4Ghz-3.8Ghz), but when Power Limit and/or Thermal throttling kicks in - it DRASTICALLY cuts multiplier, and for some cores frequency drops for ~800Mhz. That's your FPS drop - as CPU becomes bottleneck for handling GPU instructions.

McCoy wrote:
Bulllshiiiitt ....

please take part in this thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?106660-GL504GS-GM-useful-thread-Troubleshooting-amp-Guide

There are TWO different types of throttling (actually more)

Your GPU cause CPU to throttle (both types by two different ways):
- it generates heat, and actually heat CPU (because thermal solution on heat pipes work this way) more than it should (thermal throttling)
- it draws energy from power nodes, and low-level algorithm detects that MORE power than available are going (power limit throttling) in and cuts CPU power draw, - it is obvious as we can see that max power draw CPU WILL NOT EXCEED Turbo Boost Power Limit (70W default, 90W short time)
- ... and when PowerMax TB kicking in, it stays for ~30 sec (PowerMax window) and then boom Power Limit giving you FPS drop.

Why it is happening? Because GPU cannot predict available CPU cycles (as it predicts fluctuation under some coridor - 3.4Ghz-3.8Ghz), but when Power Limit and/or Thermal throttling kicks in - it DRASTICALLY cuts multiplier, and for some cores frequency drops for ~800Mhz. That's your FPS drop - as CPU becomes bottleneck for handling GPU instructions.

so what your saying there is no solution to this crappy problem???

guys, i had this EXACT issue, and this fixed it perfectly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkMXlkn2qbc

I finally (after almost 2 years of searching) can put this to rest... ASUS had some BIOS updates in the meantime that partially fixed this, but the issue still came back.

It's mostly 3 things:
-update bios to 311 (ASUS published this in March 2020). This fixes the huge frame drops to 10-20 fps
-install legacy DirectX bundle (DirX 9, 10) directly from Microsoft- it will pop up after a google search. This fixes micro stuttering
-I use GPU TWEAK II to maintain the temp to about 84 degrees celsius; you can go with a more heavyweight tool to undervolt CPU & GPU (before 311 this was actually needed), but now you can mostly take care of the temp and therefore fans just by sliding the temperature bar in GPU TWEAK II

GL, HF and spread the news 🙂

Hi I am using Asus Strix Hero2( GTX 1060 6GB ,I7 8750H ). I am getting massive frame drops for every few seconds as shown in the video. To Know the reason i installed MSI After Burner where it showed 99% GPU Usage and GPU CLOCK Decreasing from 1400 to 250 Mhz , during that drop, temps are fine,but every now and then I am getting those drops. I cleaned installed Windows ,Nvdia Drivers,gave it to the official service center ,they repasted (thermal paste) but issue still persists ,They are also not understanding what to do.Any Suggestions would be helpful. I have tried all the things mentioned in the forums ,still didn't fix.

Please watch this video for reference: https://youtu.be/MGq7sqgvRZw