cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new G74Sx laptop is an excellent machine, and it running beautifully!!!!

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
sorry, didn't realize i couldn't edit the title, until it was too late.

I was looking through all the threads, and wow! so many people are having so many problems, that i wanted to post a success thread. i love this computer. it is running as close to flawlessly as can be expected. the key is formatting the main hard drive, and doing a fresh load of win 7, WITHOUT the installation disk. LOAD WIN 7 WITHOUT ANY ASUS DRIVERS!!! (at first)...
then after you have updated the chipset, video drivers and all the I/O stuff, then load the atk package, and only the few important drivers you need for key features you want to use. checkout jr's drivers thread on this board. he keeps it up to date, and it makes it very easy to keep your system running smoothly.
i don't have any of the problems that so many others are having on this board, and several of those problems are coming from not doing enough homework before buying. however, there is plenty of help on this board, and you can make your system run well, if you will put just a little effort into it. learning about your machine is the first step and it can only help with many, many, many things in the future.
my system runs fast as hell, and it has all the features anyone could possibly want in a mobile computer. so, do some research, ask a few questions, and get your system running the way you want it to. depending on asus is just going to piss you off. so handle your business, and reap the benefits. hope this helps...
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11
20 REPLIES 20

ravnos04
Level 7
I just received mine not 12 hours ago and have updated only the graphics drivers to the latest (285 I think). Is there anything else I 'need' to do? I am a little sketch about wiping the computer and installing a fresh copy of Win7, I don't wanna brick my rig.

i would suggest making the bootable dvd's, if you want to be able to reset it back to factory. but believe it or not, factory is usually not nearly as good as the machine can run. the drivers are usually old, and gimmicky by the time you get it, and they will cause all kinds of problems.
the first thing you should do is flash the bios to 203, if it isn't already there. always do this in the cmos, not in the windows environment, as that can brick it. but doing a clean load of win seven will not brick your computer. it will allow you to have the fastest, most trouble free setup you could use. it gets rid of all the asus bloatware, which not only allows the system to run faster and smoother, but also gives you more disk space as well. there are a few asus apps you need to reload, but even those apps, you DO NOT want to take off of the drivers cd, or asus's site. look for jr's drivers thread on this board, and you will see links to all of the lastest drivers. there is even a page on here somewhere that tells you what you should load back on a clean install, and what you don't need. let us know if you have a question. good luck.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

I would like to say that I love the G74sx, I never owned any computer this fast before,playing my old games I realized how much I had been missing out on gaming wise. I didn't have any problems even out of the box and it ran very good, but after reading this forum and following the advise of some of the more knowledgable members I did a clean install and only used the latest drivers from the manufacturer of each device and was impressed even more, I would have not known how great this machine could run if not for doing that...so thanks for this thread Aquastevae and a big thanks to JRd1st and BrodyBoy.

MPerni
Level 7
I have the G74sx for a month now and it works 10 points, and now better than the moment i take it out of the box cause the ram and SSD upgrade!! Also have to thanks to JR, Brody and the rest of the guys that are helping here every day, great guys!!
Reading to many ppl that have failures with their machines i´m crossing my fingers so nothing happend hehe. Here it´s summer with more than 30° and i have it hours making renders or some days playing hours to mw3, and the notebook always stays cool, love it!!
Also made the upgrades of some drivers, ATK, Sintec touchpad, nvidia, atheros, and i think thats all, i leave Bios with the 202 that come with, and it works great, never had any issue, so i leave it like this for now.

Boosted_R
Level 8
For all the new users, I would look into changing your wifi card.....BSOD once and that was due to atheros software, bluetooth is horrible, but wifi is ok....... G74 runs soo much better with the Intel 6230....check it out, best/only upgrade really needed.
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

But computers have become nearly as commonplace as TVs, refrigerators, and iPods. (Or the car that I venture out onto that L.A. freeway in....) This is all high-tech stuff that we expect to just work....in fact, we depend upon it working....without feeling obliged to understand how it works, or how to fix it.

Computers are now sold as working appliances, right next to the microwaves. Heck, my mother uses one and she can't tell a modem from a mouse! The technology has matured past the geek years where everybody who used a computer also read PC World and frequented those little cave-like computer parts stores! (I know....I was there. ;))

And oh yeah.....have you ever bought a Mac? Computers CAN work right out of the box!

BrodyBoy wrote:
But computers have become nearly as commonplace as TVs, refrigerators, and iPods. (Or the car that I venture out onto that L.A. freeway in....) This is all high-tech stuff that we expect to just work....in fact, we depend upon it working....without feeling obliged to understand how it works, or how to fix it.

Computers are now sold as working appliances, right next to the microwaves. Heck, my mother uses one and she can't tell a modem from a mouse! The technology has matured past the geek years where everybody who used a computer also read PC World and frequented those little cave-like computer parts stores! (I know....I was there. ;))

And oh yeah.....have you ever bought a Mac? Computers CAN work right out of the box!

i was taught how to work on cars long before I ever had one, or even a license for one. i understand that many people are using computers now'a days, who know nothing about them. all i'm saying is that those people can't bitch about problems if they admittedly haven't bothered to learn anything about the machine they are using, as they cause most of them for that very reason.
as far as the mac's go, if you call that working...? i personally hate them. much bigger pain in the @#%# than a pc.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Thank You...nice review.. and thumbs up for the 74.
It does look like there is nothing but problems....unless
ROG'r'z like u step forward....cudos..

Most consumers never have an issue..and never think to look for
a forum... especially the ones that...just wanted a great laptop..and found one.
We see some of the ones that are at the end of their rope...when it was something
simple to start with...... and these are the ones that leave the impression...unfortunately..

Thank You for stepping forward....and joining right in to helping...Welcome...hope to
see you often.....best luck...c u again soon.

As to the others above.......Welcome....S P L A S H...... water is nice and warm, eh?
(Stay away from the yellow spots...hahahhahaha...)c.

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
it's nice to have a positive thread, among all the negative ones.