cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My GL703GM STRIX SCAR is shutting down without reason.

ArmorDude1
Level 8
My GL703GM STRIX SCAR is shutting down without reason. When I say shutting down I mean its on one second and then it makes a "ping" sound and screen is black and it starts to reboot.

Stock factory settings nothing over clocked.

I have review Event logs and they really don't give any hint.

Took it to a local shop who ran stress tests on all of the hardware and nothing really show up. They suggested it may be a random hardware issue but they could not point to what component that might be.

Tech support wants me to factory reset my GL703GM and reinstall everything to "see" if that solved my shutdown of my ROC laptop.

Here is a video of the issue after several attempts to start the unit. It was working OK then the PING /black screen and it goes into this loop for a while then it will start and run like everything is normal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCF5hJeQc8k

Any suggestions on solving this are welcome.

Some days it will run fine and other days it acts like in the video.

I have also done all of the W10 repair procedures via CMD prompt as well.

No I am not gaming yet, as I am in real estate and use this for my realestate CRM, open houses and editing my videos, but have not started that yet due to not wanting to loose any work.

It has the GTX 1060 16 gigs of ram
Driver 24.21.13.9924(NVIDA 399.24)
GPU Clock 1405Mhz
Memory 2002Mhz
Boost 1671 Mhz

W10 64

BIOS 86.06.62.00.52

DDR5 Samsung

Driver
18 REPLIES 18

Hi everyone,

I have exactly the same issue on my Strix GL703GS. So far I've observed this issue only on Wi-Fi, after talking with my more hardware-savvy friends they suspect that this might be due to a short on Wi-Fi module. Can anyone confirm if this can happen on wired connection?

Otherwise symptoms are the same as on the recording and no meaningful system logs. Other than that I've noticed a other interesting problem which may be related to this case. Sometimes when I leave my laptop long enough so that the screen is disabled I can't wake it up. It sounds like it is working, keyboard is colorful, but no reaction. Shutting down happens ~every 3 weeks for me but it seems difficult to reproduce. Sometimes I can move laptop wildly and it doesn't shut down, sometimes only slight movement or vibration is enough for it to shut down.

Also please do not derail this thread. I see at least two people with very different problem than one OP described - please find other threads or make your own. This thread is for abrupt shutdown case.

Scar GL703GM works ok with external keyboard, the laptop will black screen requiring hard reset, if left to activate power save mode and if the keyboard is pressed firmly the laptop will reset.

DeltaActual
Level 12
Return if possible or RMA...
G614JV

marius88cc
Level 7
Hi ! same issue. first time it happened it was plugged in and restarted a couple of times after wake from sleep, 2 months went by no issue. Just a moment ago I unplugged from the charger and set it on the table, then picked it up to move it and it restarted right then. I flexed the chassis and the display even lifted it and put it down repeatedly to reproduce the problem but nothing happened.

Event viewer says:
Critical "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
and
Error: "The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance." - but this was from a clean boot not from sleep.
This is from normal sleep:
"The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎11T19:51:50.530177000Z
Wake Time: ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎11T20:05:23.418376800Z

Wake Source: Power Button" - so normal

I am pretty sure the "ding" sound is the mechanical HDD coming to a sudden stop from power loss... mine does exactly the same when the issue happens.

Anyone finds a reason and solution for this please post.

Good luck !

GeoBRB
Level 10
The motherboard of my GL703GM has been changed 🙂
Installed the last version of Windows 10 Retail v1903, no issues from 2 months ago.

I think the new motherboard has a new revision. It's very important 😉

I have GL703GM-DS74
I had same issue, I've posted my story on this thread
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104408-ASUS-GL703GM-NS73-keeps-overheating-and-freezing&p=...
please let me know what you guys think

UPDATE
ROG gaming center stopped showing CPU mhz and temperature, it just shows 0 now...
what should I do?

It's happening now. Sometimes when I press T button area laptop goes to shut down. But usually it works normally. It happens even when I use bios menu, or during loading. I dont know why it's happening, maybe I ll use externall keyboard.

mgevlich wrote:
It's happening now. Sometimes when I press T button area laptop goes to shut down. But usually it works normally. It happens even when I use bios menu, or during loading. I dont know why it's happening, maybe I ll use externall keyboard.

The keyboard metal backplate is probably shorting out something on the motherboard.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
The keyboard metal backplate is probably shorting out something on the motherboard.

Thanks for advice! Next time I get with it, I'll try to find what the hell is shorting out.