cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop discharges while plugged during games/AutoCAD(Already RMA twice) GL703GM-DS74

xyz45
Level 7
Ok, I have had this laptop RMA'd twice and the issue still has not been fixed. The issue I'm getting with the laptop is the battery laptop will discharge while plugged into the wall outlet while I'm playing a game or rendering files in AutoCAD. The laptop discharges at roughly 6%-12% every 30 minutes. I have had the laptop shut down on me in about 6-7 hours when I'm using it for work and a bit sooner while on a long gaming session. I have tried two OEM power bricks. Tried updating and downgrading the BIOS. Updated all my drivers, windows, and anything else that would be pertinent to this. I fiddled with the windows power management settings, but I got no dice there. The only thing I have not done is underclocking the CPU as I don't want to possibly break the warranty. After I did all this I decided to RMA the laptop and the first time they just reinstalled windows. Which didn't solve anything. I have now gotten back a second time and it is still doing it. The sheet says they replaced a *motherboard. But it still did not fix the issue.

At this point I just want it fixed by almost any means as it cuts into my work time at home. I know regular use in this condition will just cause this problem to get worse as time goes on. I came on here to see if anyone has had similar issue and has found a fix for it. Any help would be appreciated. I attached a picture of the status windows gives me.

*edit:I looked at the sheet again and they replaced the motherboard NOT the battery.
284 Views
18 REPLIES 18

McCoy wrote:
In my opinion, it's seems FINE. But let me explain:
- the battery indicator result is made by different approximations on voltage, power (Ampers) and change between this two things in time.
- for some cases, it's ok that high power draw delivers such results, as software and hardware tries to delicately provide enough power via battery.

Example: it shows 75%, but when you disconnect PSU you will propably see that power draw won't remain the same, it will draw available power from battery with slower rate.


It's not fine at all.
With Intel Core i7 8750H, Nvidia GTX 1060 and 16GB DDR4 you can play any game with High/Ultra settings in high resolutions and very good FPS values.
That leads to a significant demand from the PSU (power adapter in this case).
Even so, if I play GTA5 (for example) and I start with the battery at 80%, it will be fully charged after 30 minutes of playing.
So if his power adapter is OK, there is something wrong with the laptop (battery charging circuit).

RemusM wrote:
It's not fine at all.
With Intel Core i7 8750H, Nvidia GTX 1060 and 16GB DDR4 you can play any game with High/Ultra settings in high resolutions and very good FPS values.
That leads to a significant demand from the PSU (power adapter in this case).
Even so, if I play GTA5 (for example) and I start with the battery at 80%, it will be fully charged after 30 minutes of playing.
So if his power adapter is OK, there is something wrong with the laptop (battery charging circuit).


Updated my previous post, my opinion was based on fact that even my corporate laptops discharge under heavy stress to 89%. And that's how our senior engineer explained such issue to us.

Update from me. Didn't make it to the shop but decided to try a battery calibration. Charged battery to 100%, let computer run for a couple of hours at 100% then unplugged computer from adapter ran computer until it shut down by itself. Left computer off overnight. Plugged it in this morning and charged to 100%, ran full day doing work at 100%. Just spent last 2.5 hours playing counterstrike with no signs of battery discharge. Guess next step is to see if computer will run in the same manner if I set it for the 60% prolonged life option.


If you haven't done a battery calibration might be worth a try.

My name is Tom from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. If you would allow, I would be more than glad to help provide resolution to this case through RMA. Please PM or email me with the below details so I can work with related personnel to get this case resolved.

Product S/N:
RMA #:
Address:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:

My email is cl-tom@asus.com.

Couple of quick questions for those in the know, still monitoring the issue on my GL703Gm.

Running Aida 64 to monitor power management, power state show "AC Line, Discharging" - Is this a normal Power State? Tried searching for an answer without any luck,

While running Counterstrike and while game arena being loaded Aida64 shows that a discharge from the battery occurs momentarily - Is this normal? I would have thought the power supply would have been able to handle the extra draw.


Could this be a conflict between graphics card driver and battery driver, something a friend said here who's a little more knowledgeable in these things than I.

Any help or comments appreciated.

JAZZYM wrote:
Couple of quick questions for those in the know, still monitoring the issue on my GL703Gm.

Running Aida 64 to monitor power management, power state show "AC Line, Discharging" - Is this a normal Power State? Tried searching for an answer without any luck,

While running Counterstrike and while game arena being loaded Aida64 shows that a discharge from the battery occurs momentarily - Is this normal? I would have thought the power supply would have been able to handle the extra draw.


Could this be a conflict between graphics card driver and battery driver, something a friend said here who's a little more knowledgeable in these things than I.

Any help or comments appreciated.


No, a driver conflict won't cause the issue or it's very unlikely too. It would more than likely have to be an issue with the actual BIOS or firmware related issue.

JAZZYM wrote:
Update from me. Didn't make it to the shop but decided to try a battery calibration. Charged battery to 100%, let computer run for a couple of hours at 100% then unplugged computer from adapter ran computer until it shut down by itself. Left computer off overnight. Plugged it in this morning and charged to 100%, ran full day doing work at 100%. Just spent last 2.5 hours playing counterstrike with no signs of battery discharge. Guess next step is to see if computer will run in the same manner if I set it for the 60% prolonged life option.


If you haven't done a battery calibration might be worth a try.


I did this yesterday. Only thing it appeared to do was slow down the discharge rather than fix it. At this point I'm more than likely just get rid of it or right it off as FUBAR and open it up to see if I can deduce what's wrong with the circuit. Could also try and see if it's an issue with the firmware.

Had some guys on another forum recommend checking the heat coming from my wall charger. Here is the data:

Not Under load: ≈ 30.6°C @0min

Under Load: ≈ 35.3°C @10min discharge is at 2% battery reading 98% with discharging status
≈ 42.0°C @20min discharge is 5% battery reading 95% with discharging status
≈ 42.0°C @30min discharge is 10% battery reading 90% with discharging status
≈ 48 °C at 50 minutes. at a discharge of 13%. RIP.

Infrared Thermometer used is Etekcity Lasergrip 1080 with an accuracy/repeatability ±1% and this was performed at based clock speed on the CPU and GPU at the above ambient temperature. I also noticed a difference on around 2°C on the each side of the adapter adapter and used an average above. This was a on a flat surface with good airflow.

I'm not entirely sure what would be considered normal for a laptop. I would assume this is average or above average? I have definetly had laptop chargers get just as hot if not hotter, but none of them had this issue.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?104886-GL702VS-power-supply-adapter-charger-very-underpowe...

The power supply might be underpowered like mine. Also, The battery will drain to 95% and hold around there.