cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought a ASUS ROG Strix Scar II Edition GL704GW need advice on temps, or if sh

erockz
Level 7
got the laptop for $1200

https://www.microcenter.com/product/601896/asus-rog-strix-scar-ii-edition-gl704gw-ps74-173-gaming-la...
Intel Core i7-8750H Processor 2.2GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6
16GB DDR4-2666 RAM
512GB Solid State Drive

for arma 3 normal it doesnt get hot and I get about the same frames as on my desktop with the 1080ti water cooled card.

I find Onward VR game to be the most demanding so thats what I used to test.

if I do not undervolt it by -100, it overheats but doesnt crash, but gets to like 95c sometimes on some cores causing a ! next to the core temp program.

is this normal to have to undervolt for high end VR games? I dont notice any real difference to be honest.the game feels the same but under volt it doesn't get hot.

also, I uploaded a picture of my screen , the temps are what many would consider "good" for gaming, but I am wondering why does it still have thermal trotting in red? I thought under volting would would stop that, as I heard I am losing performance when throttling.

is the scar III better for heat? or will it also get hot and have to be undervolted? I can still return it so please answer back ASAP dont want to invest in a brick!
1 REPLY 1

Tor_Spo
Level 8
erockz wrote:
got the laptop for $1200

https://www.microcenter.com/product/601896/asus-rog-strix-scar-ii-edition-gl704gw-ps74-173-gaming-la...
Intel Core i7-8750H Processor 2.2GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6
16GB DDR4-2666 RAM
512GB Solid State Drive

for arma 3 normal it doesnt get hot and I get about the same frames as on my desktop with the 1080ti water cooled card.

I find Onward VR game to be the most demanding so thats what I used to test.

if I do not undervolt it by -100, it overheats but doesnt crash, but gets to like 95c sometimes on some cores causing a ! next to the core temp program.

is this normal to have to undervolt for high end VR games? I dont notice any real difference to be honest.the game feels the same but under volt it doesn't get hot.

also, I uploaded a picture of my screen , the temps are what many would consider "good" for gaming, but I am wondering why does it still have thermal trotting in red? I thought under volting would would stop that, as I heard I am losing performance when throttling.

is the scar III better for heat? or will it also get hot and have to be undervolted? I can still return it so please answer back ASAP dont want to invest in a brick!

I have undervolted succesfully -190mV and cinebench r20 score is 3103. so you need to find sweet spot for your CPU maybe it can hold 3.9ghz all cores with -100mV who knows? you do, provide the information and then others can try to help you.

15" rog laptops heat more than 17" because the size of the heatsink module.
also please note that the air intake holes at the bottom part of your laptop have very small holes for the air to come, so you should invest to a cooling pad with adjustable fans.

and if you have googled, then you should know that the factory thermalpaste is not A grade stuff. not even B grade.. maybe C grade.. so reapply thermalpaste for better temps and hardcore guys will go with liquid metal for CPU die. (gpu does not need it and it's bigger risk)