cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with new laptop Strix Scar 17 2023 (R9 7945HX, 4080)

hexaae
Level 13

MY ISSUES WITH THIS G733PZ Strix Scar 17 2023 (R9 7945HX, 4080)

Love it but it has many annoying little issues (fully updated with Win Update and MyASUS official app, BIOS 311):

1. [COMMON] Speaker sounds randomly muted 'till I reboot with no error in Device Manager, no icons with X and no crashes, but speakers simply do not play audio anymore (headphones still work). Only solution a reboot. Totally random in normal desktop usage.

2. [COMMON] Sometimes randomly after 2 days of sleep and resume, USB-C DisplaPort won't detect anymore the attached (but turned off) monitor when I turn it on. Have to reinsert DisplayPort cable (8K high quality). To be exact it happens after Windows Hibernation. (SOLVED with BIOS 315 ✔️)

3. [MY UNIT] Loud coil whine with the test from GPU_Caps_Viewer: 3D Demos/Vulkan 2 Tessellation. Tested in real games or other 3D Demos and coil whine is minimal and acceptable though...

4. [COMMON] Random internal screen (desktop usage) fast-flickerings (0.1sec, very fast almost unnoticeable, mostrly in the upper portion of the screen)... looks like AMD iGPU unstable frequency (?). This seems a well known AMD iGPU issue reported in many forums with previous AMD CPU models. Waiting for AMD Adrenalin driver/BIOS updates hoping for a fix... 🤞🏻

5. [COMMON] No S3 Standby state in the BIOS!! Forced S0 only (a sort of MS hybrid standby 2.0) with fans quietly active (???). You can check it with powercfg /a from admin Cmd prompt. Microsoft calls it "Modern Standby", which is good only for office workstations, maybe. We need S3 (classic Standby) instead.

6. [COMMON] Standby set as: after 10 min screen off and after 45 min standby; when I return to the laptop after 1-2 hours I find the keyboard leds on and system freezed including stuck white mouse pointer over a black screen (!?). I've found a workaround from admin prompt simply forcing hibernate after 30 min and setting screen off and standby both after 10 min. It didn't happen anymore.

Power settings commands (admin):
    powercfg /x  hibernate-timeout-ac 0  (default 0, AC is for PSU mode)
    powercfg /x  hibernate-timeout-dc 60 (default 60 min = 3600 sec, DC is for battery mode)
    powercfg HIBERNATE ON (force-enable Hibernation if not present)
    and
    powercfg /q (to show current idle settings)
    Microsoft link on how to disable Modern Standby, if you want to: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/learn-about-hardware/wakeontouch Remember to disable also Armoury Crate's Modern Standby Assistant completely (Off).

Recommended: enable hibernate, something like 30mins AC and 20mins DC, you can keep Modern Standby set after 20 and 10mins. This will workaround unresponsive screen or keyboard after a long time if you rely solely on Modern Standby (probably drivers are still not good enough).

7. [COMMON] BSOD or other issues connecting an autopowered storage device to the rear USB-C ports. I tried 3 different external enclosures with different controller chipset (ViaLab USB\VID_2109&PID_0716, Realtek USB\VID_0BDA&PID_9210, ASMedia USB\VID_174C&PID_235C) with a 2TB disk inside. They all caused strange slowdowns just opening directories and random black screen or direct BSOD (ViaLab in particular). In other cases they just disconnect frequently (unstable). Same devices connected to the lateral USB-A ports or to another PC work perfectly. Probably BIOS issues still present with 315.
    NEWS: there's an (untested) hotfix for ASMedia USB ports on the official site in the download page!

8. [COMMON] RANDOM REBOOTS 🧨 MAJOR ISSUE, in particular while using the machine at desktop through APU/iGPU (especially watching simple YT videos), even after factory reset and no driver updates! Here was a video showing this severe issue: https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApMUGr0cuN39gsMCAwx9_wjnHscEXg?e=DJlN7i 
    👉🏻 NOTE: if you're using "NVidia GPU Only" mode (or Ultimate mode from Armoury Crate) you won't be using the APU at all, so this issue should not be reproducible... Some users reported random reboots also in Ultimate GPU mode (= not using iGPU/APU)!
    👉🏻 NOTE2: users reported that completely uninstalling Armoury Crate (good free replacements tools are Laptop ToolBox or G-Helper) + BIOS 327, solved all their random reboots. Please test and confirm!
    👉🏻 NOTE3: some users reported changing RAM modules fixed instability. Recommended: Kingston Fury KF556S40IBK2 running at 5200MT/s on this laptop.

It's a powerful machine and many things are good but is also affected by a lot of bugs... hope they are just BIOS or driver issues and will be fixed one day 😞

✍🏻 IMPORTANT: to report issues with Armoury Crate to ASUS support, follow this post (create the log and fill out the form!): https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/armoury-crate/armoury-crate-v5-7-6-0-amp-v5-7-9-0-aura-creator-v3-7-6-...

// ASUS SCAR18 G834JY, i9-13980HX, 4090 256bit 16GB, 32GB 5600MHz RAM, 18" 16:10 2560x1600 240Hz G-Sync internal screen, external UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi 34" Monitor with Freesync, NVMe, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse.
673 REPLIES 673

za_rando_scrub
Level 7

Hi. Came from a different laptop (Zephyrus 16 Duo) with a similar setup. At the beginning I thought the weird config (iGPU wired to the second screen and always active) was exclusive to my model, and that’s why S3 sleep is impossible. Reading across the board (your post, along with some BSOD reports from AW owners with the same chip) I believe it’s a Dragon Range problem.

I’ve been combating sleep issues and BSODs related to iGPU drivers (or hardware??) since ages. Did an RMA which fixed nothing. I now finally have a stable setup (connected to power, with external displays, ultimate mode) but it also means I give up on taking it out altogether. Here’s a list of problems I had and fixes (or lack of any)

- Sleep issue: the laptop will just refuse to fall asleep or even when it succeeds, wake up moments later, many times leading to crashes / freezes, either BSODs or fan at full speeds, completely unresponsive. Disabling fast startup was of no help. Solution: disable everything sleep related, hibernate ONLY (need to set up a hibernate timer as well in control panel)

- BSOD on wake: a separate issue. When waking from hibernate (maybe after a long while) & on battery, sometimes the system BSODs shortly after, reboots and becomes completely stable. There were many times when I took my laptop out when I was on the go, this happened & then I tried hard to replicate this and it didn’t happen. It MIGHT have to do with GPU modes and Standard seems to cause this. Again, not sure about the cause and if it’s connected to power this never happened.

- Nonstop crashes when on latest AMD drivers: simple. Stick with ASUS’ AMD drivers.

- Crashes related to external monitors: when hooked to external monitors, and I was away for an extended period of time, sometimes the laptop will freeze up, screens off, keyboard unresponsive, would have to power cycle. Solution: on top of the sleep timeout settings, would have to also disable SCREEN OFF timeouts. (Power off screen after -> never)

There might be some other minor issues I had forgotten, but like I said, with the above addressed I can only call it stable when I use the aforementioned docked setup. Any attempt in using it on battery is a roll of the dice. If you are fine with the always connected setup then it’s alright (why not just buy a desktop?) but it’s soooo frustrating I have to go through so many hoops to even achieve a half stable setup. The concept of the machine and the CPU performance are awesome, yes, but at the end of the day stability trumps everything else.

An aside - those with intel 13 / 14 gen HX CPUs, S3 sleep is AVAILABLE on the hardware level. With a few tweaks you can get rid of S0 sleep and embrace the stable, working S3 sleep.

Igorinho20
Level 7

Hello, from the hotfix category, are these applications installed only once or must they be installed each time Windows is installed? waiting for your response
https://rog.asus.com/laptops/rog-strix/rog-strix-scar-17-2023-series/helpdesk_download/

Gallardo994
Level 10

It seems like GPU fan going crazy has been fixed by removing GPU fan connector, cleaning it with alcohol, and reconnecting it back. Will report if the issue comes back again.

Nah didn't help, the issue is back.

Asus Rog Strix Scar 17 (2023) G733PY, AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX, NVIDIA RTX 4090 175W, 64GB RAM, 2x Samsung 990 Pro RAID0

DoboszewskijPL
Level 9

My story with the laptop ended. After almost a year got a refund. Now have a different machine from a different brand & it's flawless.

hexaae
Level 13

In the meanwhile... I switched to ASUS SCAR18 G834JY, i9-13980HX, 4090 16GB and this one runs great (and no lousy coil whine, just minimal with heavy games you can't hear with fans on). No issues. I again had to struggle against MS's 'Modern Standby', but following my steps in step 6 solved the problem.

Good luck my friends!

// ASUS SCAR18 G834JY, i9-13980HX, 4090 256bit 16GB, 32GB 5600MHz RAM, 18" 16:10 2560x1600 240Hz G-Sync internal screen, external UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi 34" Monitor with Freesync, NVMe, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse.

razenec
Level 9

I am still suffering from a defective laptop, and I don’t know if they will give me a refund. It's just awful. How I regret choosing this company((

VillaiN-
Level 7

Hello everyone. Last year June bought this laptop ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 17 G733PY Problem is with display. With turning on laptop the display is just black. But the system is working. I can make restart and so on. Windows logo + Ctrl + shift + b Doesn't help. I can make up to 10 restarts when finally the display turns on...

At first months I had random restarts - service changed the motherboard.

ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 17 2023 G733

I would sincerely suggest you to RMA the laptop and avoid getting a replacement from Asus at all. This is probably the most buggy device out there in the market, I don't even think this needs any additional explanation due to how large this forum topic is.

Asus Rog Strix Scar 17 (2023) G733PY, AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX, NVIDIA RTX 4090 175W, 64GB RAM, 2x Samsung 990 Pro RAID0

The thing is while I was at home using external monitor connected to a laptop there were no such issue at all. But now after a month away from home using the laptop display only - it began to bring this things.

ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 17 2023 G733

Eldir
Level 7

Hi everyone, I have a problem with Asus Strix Scar G17 G733PY. I have a suspicion that it's shutting down due to overheating of the VRM area or something GPU related.

At serious simultaneous load on the CPU and GPU in PERFOMANCE mode, when high temperatures are reached, the notebook shuts down. There is a suspicion of overheating of the GPU (although according to the sensors only 84-85 degrees from the allowable 87), but are there no built-in protection in laptops except shutdown in this case (Trottling, for example)? Moreover, there was no such problem before, and the power that the GPU and CPU consume properly....
In TURBO mode, the CPU temperature is lower and there are no shutdowns accordingly.

And in the OCCT stress test on the GPU and CPU separately, there are no shutdowns even when high temperatures are reached....

What should I do and what could be the problem?
From the last changed conditions I can name only the increase of the house temperature (with the onset of summer). I haven't updated Windows, I haven't touched bios and drivers for a long time. Tried reinstalling with DDU to the stock driver - same result.

In the attached video is an example of a shutdown with video card readings