cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with new laptop Strix Scar 17 2023 (R9 7945HX, 4080)

hexaae
Level 12

MY ISSUES WITH THIS G733PZ Strix Scar 17 2023 (R9 7945HX, 4080)

Love it but it has many annoying little issues (fully updated with Win Update and MyASUS official app, BIOS 311):

1. [COMMON] Speaker sounds randomly muted 'till I reboot with no error in Device Manager, no icons with X and no crashes, but speakers simply do not play audio anymore (headphones still work). Only solution a reboot. Totally random in normal desktop usage.

2. [COMMON] Sometimes randomly after 2 days of sleep and resume, USB-C DisplaPort won't detect anymore the attached (but turned off) monitor when I turn it on. Have to reinsert DisplayPort cable (8K high quality). To be exact it happens after Windows Hibernation. (SOLVED with BIOS 315 ✔️)

3. [MY UNIT] Loud coil whine with the test from GPU_Caps_Viewer: 3D Demos/Vulkan 2 Tessellation. Tested in real games or other 3D Demos and coil whine is minimal and acceptable though...

4. [COMMON] Random internal screen (desktop usage) fast-flickerings (0.1sec, very fast almost unnoticeable, mostrly in the upper portion of the screen)... looks like AMD iGPU unstable frequency (?). This seems a well known AMD iGPU issue reported in many forums with previous AMD CPU models. Waiting for AMD Adrenalin driver/BIOS updates hoping for a fix... 🤞🏻

5. [COMMON] No S3 Standby state in the BIOS!! Forced S0 only (a sort of MS hybrid standby 2.0) with fans quietly active (???). You can check it with powercfg /a from admin Cmd prompt. Microsoft calls it "Modern Standby", which is good only for office workstations, maybe. We need S3 (classic Standby) instead.

6. [COMMON] Standby set as: after 10 min screen off and after 45 min standby; when I return to the laptop after 1-2 hours I find the keyboard leds on and system freezed including stuck white mouse pointer over a black screen (!?). I've found a workaround from admin prompt simply forcing hibernate after 30 min and setting screen off and standby both after 10 min. It didn't happen anymore.

Power settings commands (admin):
    powercfg /x  hibernate-timeout-ac 0  (default 0, AC is for PSU mode)
    powercfg /x  hibernate-timeout-dc 60 (default 60 min = 3600 sec, DC is for battery mode)
    powercfg HIBERNATE ON (force-enable Hibernation if not present)
    and
    powercfg /q (to show current idle settings)
    Microsoft link on how to disable Modern Standby, if you want to: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/learn-about-hardware/wakeontouch
    Recommended: enable hibernate, something like 45mins AC and 20mins DC, you can keep Modern Standby set after 30 and 10mins. This will workaround unresponsive screen or keyboard after a long time if you rely solely on Modern Standby (probably drivers are still not good enough).

7. [COMMON] BSOD or other issues connecting an autopowered storage device to the rear USB-C ports. I tried 3 different external enclosures with different controller chipset (ViaLab USB\VID_2109&PID_0716, Realtek USB\VID_0BDA&PID_9210, ASMedia USB\VID_174C&PID_235C) with a 2TB disk inside. They all caused strange slowdowns just opening directories and random black screen or direct BSOD (ViaLab in particular). In other cases they just disconnect frequently (unstable). Same devices connected to the lateral USB-A ports or to another PC work perfectly. Probably BIOS issues still present with 315.
    NEWS: there's an (untested) hotfix for ASMedia USB ports on the official site in the download page!

8. [COMMON] RANDOM REBOOTS 🧨 MAJOR ISSUE, in particular while using the machine at desktop through APU/iGPU (especially watching simple YT videos), even after factory reset and no driver updates! Here was a video showing this severe issue: https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApMUGr0cuN39gsMCAwx9_wjnHscEXg?e=DJlN7i 
    👉🏻 NOTE: if you're using "NVidia GPU Only" mode (or Ultimate mode from Armoury Crate) you won't be using the APU at all, so this issue should not be reproducible... Some users reported random reboots also in Ultimate GPU mode (= not using iGPU/APU)!
    👉🏻 NOTE2: users reported that completely uninstalling Armoury Crate (good free replacements tools are Laptop ToolBox or G-Helper) + BIOS 327, solved all their random reboots. Please test and confirm!
    👉🏻 NOTE3: some users reported changing RAM modules fixed instability. Recommended: Kingston Fury KF556S40IBK2 running at 5200MT/s on this laptop.

It's a powerful machine and many things are good but is also affected by a lot of bugs... hope they are just BIOS or driver issues and will be fixed one day 😞

✍🏻 IMPORTANT: to report issues with Armoury Crate to ASUS support, follow this post (create the log and fill out the form!): https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/armoury-crate/armoury-crate-v5-7-6-0-amp-v5-7-9-0-aura-creator-v3-7-6-...

--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse
655 REPLIES 655

I've done all mentioned stuff without disabling fast startup. No reboots since October 30 (some Asus software running on this day, didm't notice this before reboot). No flickering on Ultimate mode.

Jimmzi
Level 7

G733PYV-XH97

Bios 327 + Replacing Armoury Crate with G Helper + disabling Fast Boot definitely made my system more stable. I was able to handle large workloads throughout 8-10 hour shifts without crashing. I did not have to disable PCI Express Link State Power Management.

I will say, though, that I got one additional Kernal 41 crash after making these changes when checking the Microsoft Mail App. This crash seems to be unrelated to the first issue, and probable that it's hardware related. 

No Screen Flickering, using Ultimate GPU

I've swapped out the computer for another of the same model and this latest one seems to be 100% stable (with the aforementioned changes). 

Only issue i'm getting now is the Audio Services seems to crash every once in awhile, mostly when changing sound devices between speaker and bluetooth. I'm guessing its something to do with the Mediatek chip that handles the bluetooth connection. I have an AX210 on the way to see if that solves things. 

Jimmzi
Level 7

G733PYV-XH97

Experienced my first Kernal 41 crash just now, even after performing all the aforementioned 'fixes'. 

I'm at a loss at what's causing this. 

The AX210 has fixed all the audio issues though.

hexaae
Level 12

Software (including OS kernel) crashes are a different story, nothing to do with point 8 and sudden reboots.

--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

VillaiN-
Level 7

Hello guys.

Please, advise me on what exact cable I need to buy to use my laptop with monitor.

I have ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 17 240Hz display and ASUS ROG SWIFT 278PQR 165 Hz display. Both hsve 1440p resolution.

So that with the cable I could have my 165hz on my asus rog swift monitor.

ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR 17 2023 G733

kk373455
Level 7

found working solution for screen flickering issue - --- turn off v-ram from "windows features" option find on google, to stop screen flicker and turn off hardware acceleration in chrome

i cant find this "turn off vram feature"

unless you mean core isolation and memory integrity

I think we're talking here about the "Core isolation" option in Windows 11 settings.

Read here how to manage it and disable it: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/hardware-security/kernel-dma-protection-for-thund...

With Core isolation enabled by default in Windows 11, after digging a bit more, I figured out that Fast-Flickers (FF) are caused by the Mediatek Wifi driver. A simple way to figure this out is to disable this driver in Device Manager and use Ethernet port to connect to internet => No more flickers

Now, more precisely, this Mediatek driver is set up by Windows 11, enabling the DMA remapping feature. Because there's no particular directive in the driver (.inf) file, for DMA remapping, Windows 11 decides itself whether to enable DMA remapping. In the case of Mediatek driver, Windows 11 enables it. Check in Device Manager, for Mediatek Wifi driver, the Details tab. You should see a "DMA remapping policy" set to 2: Meaning Enabled

Here is my guess on this issue. This Mediatek driver is unfortunately unable to handle correctly DMA remapping (probably reason why its .inf file mention it but, does not set it up), leading probably to some bad interaction with Graphics drivers (AMD and nVidia ones) that use DMA remapping correctly. And probable consequence: random flickers appear on AMD laptop screen. Hopefully, nVidia driver seems not directly impacted by that. 

Now Core isolation is just a "Default policy". If it is disabled, a driver that requests specifically in its .inf file to use DMA remapping, can still do DMA remapping. This is the case for AMD and nVidia graphics drivers. But the Mediatek driver, in this case, will be run **without** DMA remapping, and thus, will not DMA interact with the Graphics drivers. 

That's what I experienced, disabling Core isolation did really stop completly flickers on my side. 

I finally decided to leave Core isolation disabled, no particular risky usage on my side with drivers (I use only official Asus sources)

ASUS G713PV Ryzen 9 7845HX, NVidia 4060 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync
Workarounds set for stability: W11 Hibernate disabled: powercfg /h off (NO sleep Freeze/reboots) W11 Core isolation disabled (NO flickers) W11 HD audio driver instead of nVidia HD audio driver (NO Crakling/unstable HDMI sound) GHelper (Lightweight and stable)

Fixed with latest AMD Radeon driver version downloaded from ASUS 31.0.14038.8002

@Abra  ha scritto:

Fixed with latest AMD Radeon driver version downloaded from ASUS 31.0.14038.8002

What?

--