cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with new laptop Strix Scar 17 2023 (R9 7945HX, 4080)

hexaae
Level 12

MY ISSUES WITH THIS G733PZ Strix Scar 17 2023 (R9 7945HX, 4080)

Love it but it has many annoying little issues (fully updated with Win Update and MyASUS official app, BIOS 311):

1. [COMMON] Speaker sounds randomly muted 'till I reboot with no error in Device Manager, no icons with X and no crashes, but speakers simply do not play audio anymore (headphones still work). Only solution a reboot. Totally random in normal desktop usage.

2. [COMMON] Sometimes randomly after 2 days of sleep and resume, USB-C DisplaPort won't detect anymore the attached (but turned off) monitor when I turn it on. Have to reinsert DisplayPort cable (8K high quality). To be exact it happens after Windows Hibernation. (SOLVED with BIOS 315 ✔️)

3. [MY UNIT] Loud coil whine with the test from GPU_Caps_Viewer: 3D Demos/Vulkan 2 Tessellation. Tested in real games or other 3D Demos and coil whine is minimal and acceptable though...

4. [COMMON] Random internal screen (desktop usage) fast-flickerings (0.1sec, very fast almost unnoticeable, mostrly in the upper portion of the screen)... looks like AMD iGPU unstable frequency (?). This seems a well known AMD iGPU issue reported in many forums with previous AMD CPU models. Waiting for AMD Adrenalin driver/BIOS updates hoping for a fix... 🤞🏻

5. [COMMON] No S3 Standby state in the BIOS!! Forced S0 only (a sort of MS hybrid standby 2.0) with fans quietly active (???). You can check it with powercfg /a from admin Cmd prompt. Microsoft calls it "Modern Standby", which is good only for office workstations, maybe. We need S3 (classic Standby) instead.

6. [COMMON] Standby set as: after 10 min screen off and after 45 min standby; when I return to the laptop after 1-2 hours I find the keyboard leds on and system freezed including stuck white mouse pointer over a black screen (!?). I've found a workaround from admin prompt simply forcing hibernate after 30 min and setting screen off and standby both after 10 min. It didn't happen anymore.

Power settings commands (admin):
    powercfg /x  hibernate-timeout-ac 0  (default 0, AC is for PSU mode)
    powercfg /x  hibernate-timeout-dc 60 (default 60 min = 3600 sec, DC is for battery mode)
    powercfg HIBERNATE ON (force-enable Hibernation if not present)
    and
    powercfg /q (to show current idle settings)
    Microsoft link on how to disable Modern Standby, if you want to: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/learn-about-hardware/wakeontouch
    Recommended: enable hibernate, something like 45mins AC and 20mins DC, you can keep Modern Standby set after 30 and 10mins. This will workaround unresponsive screen or keyboard after a long time if you rely solely on Modern Standby (probably drivers are still not good enough).

7. [COMMON] BSOD or other issues connecting an autopowered storage device to the rear USB-C ports. I tried 3 different external enclosures with different controller chipset (ViaLab USB\VID_2109&PID_0716, Realtek USB\VID_0BDA&PID_9210, ASMedia USB\VID_174C&PID_235C) with a 2TB disk inside. They all caused strange slowdowns just opening directories and random black screen or direct BSOD (ViaLab in particular). In other cases they just disconnect frequently (unstable). Same devices connected to the lateral USB-A ports or to another PC work perfectly. Probably BIOS issues still present with 315.
    NEWS: there's an (untested) hotfix for ASMedia USB ports on the official site in the download page!

8. [COMMON] RANDOM REBOOTS 🧨 MAJOR ISSUE, in particular while using the machine at desktop through APU/iGPU (especially watching simple YT videos), even after factory reset and no driver updates! Here was a video showing this severe issue: https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApMUGr0cuN39gsMCAwx9_wjnHscEXg?e=DJlN7i 
    👉🏻 NOTE: if you're using "NVidia GPU Only" mode (or Ultimate mode from Armoury Crate) you won't be using the APU at all, so this issue should not be reproducible... Some users reported random reboots also in Ultimate GPU mode (= not using iGPU/APU)!
    👉🏻 NOTE2: users reported that completely uninstalling Armoury Crate (good free replacements tools are Laptop ToolBox or G-Helper) + BIOS 327, solved all their random reboots. Please test and confirm!
    👉🏻 NOTE3: some users reported changing RAM modules fixed instability. Recommended: Kingston Fury KF556S40IBK2 running at 5200MT/s on this laptop.

It's a powerful machine and many things are good but is also affected by a lot of bugs... hope they are just BIOS or driver issues and will be fixed one day 😞

✍🏻 IMPORTANT: to report issues with Armoury Crate to ASUS support, follow this post (create the log and fill out the form!): https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/armoury-crate/armoury-crate-v5-7-6-0-amp-v5-7-9-0-aura-creator-v3-7-6-...

--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse
659 REPLIES 659

Yup, grab latest versions from releases page.: Releases · Gallardo994/LaptopToolBox (github.com)

The app also has an in-app updater for future updates.

Asus Rog Strix Scar 17 (2023) G733PY, AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX, NVIDIA RTX 4090 175W, 64GB RAM, 2x Samsung 990 Pro RAID0

Pieloth
Level 10

Yes, do confirm Armoury Crate uninstalled solved for me the flickers (no reboots on 4060) and more stable Standby mode

In my last post here , I explained that I reinstalled Armoury Crate and disabled in BIOS the "Armoury Crate support Interface" option, with same success 

Did you check if doing this helps for reboots too?

Advantage: you get back Armoury Crate, but running safely 😊 

ASUS G713PV Ryzen 9 7845HX, NVidia 4060 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync
Workarounds set for stability: W11 Hibernate disabled: powercfg /h off (NO sleep Freeze/reboots) W11 Core isolation disabled (NO flickers) W11 HD audio driver instead of nVidia HD audio driver (NO Crakling/unstable HDMI sound) GHelper (Lightweight and stable)

You are technically not required to disable "Armoury Crate support interface" at all. You can keep it enabled and use Asus Armoury Crate Uninstall Tool to delete it. Then, in system services in Windows, find these services and stop+disable them:

AsusAppService
ASUSLinkNear
ASUSLinkRemote
ASUSSoftwareManager
ASUSSwitch
ASUSSystemAnalysis
ASUSSystemDiagnosis
ArmouryCrateControlInterface
AsusCertService
ASUSOptimization

Disabling these specific services will turn off all software-based control of your laptop without disabling Armoury Create Support Interface (which could be useful for other applications like G-Helper and Laptop Toolbox)

Keep in mind that those services auto-reenable themselves if you update Asus System Control Interface v3 by any means (e.g. from official site or elsewhere)

Asus Rog Strix Scar 17 (2023) G733PY, AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX, NVIDIA RTX 4090 175W, 64GB RAM, 2x Samsung 990 Pro RAID0

@Gallardo994 wrote:

You are technically not required to disable "Armoury Crate support interface" at all.

Disabling "Armoury Crate support interface" in BIOS is the current workaround I've used to run "safely" Armoury Crate, preventing it to generate flickers or other issues as per described in the OP

I understand that using Laptop toolbox instead of Armoury Crate (uninstalled in this case) requires to re-enable "Armoury Crate support interface" in BIOS

Workarounds set for stability: W11 Hibernate disabled: powercfg /h off (NO sleep Freeze/reboots) W11 Core isolation disabled (NO flickers) W11 HD audio driver instead of nVidia HD audio driver (NO Crakling/unstable HDMI sound) GHelper (Lightweight and stable)

OriginalNuttah0
Level 9

Not just yet wanted to see the week out without it first but so far since no reboots since uninstalling armoury crate, Monday I'll reinstall and test.

Dekado
Level 9

@Anbby_ROG 

Hello, could you provide an official answer from those who gets random reboots on top asus laptop?

Is there any chance there would be a solution asap?

There is 20 page of discussion where customers trying solve a problem by themselves.

OriginalNuttah0
Level 9

Update: Had no reboots last week since uninstalling armoury crate. Still get a screen flicker just not so often (maybe every 10/20 mins) no matter what I'm doing be it watching YouTube, browsing or gaming.

Will be reinstalling armoury crate today and testing this week to see if any reboots occur. 

Good news then if you did not experience reboots after uninstalling A.C. !

Concerning flickers, since I did reinstall A.C. and disabled the BIOS A.C. option, I saw them twice in 5 days (so much much less than before):

• Was always after a Wake up from sleep in Modern Standby
  • For the 1st occurence, did reboot laptop => went away
  • For the 2nd occurence, I tried to restart all ASUS services => went away.
    Probably one of them is the root cause but I would need a 3rd occurence to investigate which one...

This makes me wonder that if A.C. and another ASUS process are able to create these flickerings, the issue could be in BIOS, that do not execute correctly some low level request?
Difficult to tell

Also sometimes, after Wake up from sleep in Modern Standby, I notice Nvidia icons in the Taskbar disappears
Simply restarted the "Nvidia Display Container LS" service and icons are back 3 seconds after
Happens a couple of times in several days also

Maybe also a bad BIOS Wake up from sleep in Modern Standby messes up some services, leading to what is seen for ASUS and Nvidia services?

Only ASUS devs could have the answer for these symptoms...

All main controls performed by Armoury Crate are made via ACPI interface to the respective devices, and these calls are generally validated outside of Armoury Crate (e.g. you cannot set invalid fan curve (but you can totally disable fans if it's valid input)), and power states are integrated into BIOS on our devices. I am unsure what exactly could cause these issues, but those are definitely some features which are not defined by hardware configuration. Exception here comes with Nvidia overclocking which is done via Nvidia API, and keyboard controls e.g. lighting and hotkeys (via HID calls). Nvidia-specific controls artificially have no boundaries and any format-valid value can be set.

So, generally, if Armoury Create does something rogue, it's something "extra, which we do not see explicitly", not some hardware controls which are built into the device.

@Gallardo994 wrote:

All main controls performed by Armoury Crate are made via ACPI interface to the respective devices, and these calls are generally validated outside of Armoury Crate (e.g. you cannot set invalid fan curve (but you can totally disable fans if it's valid input)), and power states are integrated into BIOS on our devices.

So if some ACPI calls controls are not correctly performed by BIOS, in case of incorrect BIOS design, couldn't we end up with some Armoury Crate or ASUS services calls that produce irrelevant actions to the hardware, like reboots or screen flickers?