cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISSUE -Asus Rog Strix Scar 16 HDR black Screen DISCRETE MODE.

Sedna66
Level 9

I leave a link on Youtube for Asus to check for severe black screen problem once HDR is activated in discrete mode.
It is necessary to enter Bios and change to integrated mode, this with Scar 16 4090 fully updated on W11 22H2 and the latest nvidia 531 drivers, say that this problem does not happen with drivers prior to 531xx series. It seems that Lenovo and XMG have updated their Bios to fix this huge bug that renders the Scar completely locked.

It´s neccesary integrated mode in Bios and via nvidia control panel in W11 -selection dGpu and disable HDR to a fix.-

BIOS 312 LATEST.. STILL NO SOLUTION FROM ANYONE

I leave you this video that I hope will help you with the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zkalra12
Level 10

I can confirm (for the moment) that these new drivers seem to have solved the HDR black screen issues. I cannot speak about individual games. Many weeks of trials and tribulations and constant pushing on this forum may have helped. I hope this is now permanently resolved so we can get in with our lives. 

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

I bought two Strix Scar 16s with the 4090 and both had same issue.  I thought maybe intel motherboard and iGPU issue.  i then bought the DUO 16 4090 same as yours and this has same issue.  Its nvidia and asus issue.  Others have done bios updates, ASUS refuses to acknowledge.

Sedna66
Level 9

Yes, this problem it´s awesome horrible!! Scar locked completely.

Zkalra12
Level 10

yes this is a known issue and ASUS is refusing to acknowledge this.  @Anbby_ROG another person for you to confirm with.  

RaffoTheAce
Level 7

I've the same problem with the Asus Strix Scar 16 2023 (rtx 4080). Any graphic  drivers beside the super old 528.66 version causes random black screens and crashes. Please Asus take this situation seriously, we've paid a lot of money for this laptop, and we connot play with up to date drivers (two months deep in to the problem).

@Anbby_ROG another customer with the issue. You want video from him too?? Radio silence ain’t going to alleviate the persistence of this issue. 

rondocap
Level 9

I am also having the same issue, black screen with HDR, and sometimes I have to restart the laptop several times. Asus Scar 16 with 4090. 

The only thing that works is the 528.66 drivers, but anything newer and it is a problem. Definitely needs to be addressed, it's months now. 

It seems to me to be a widespread issue and I found curious the lack of communication about it.

So, with ASUS we are stuck on Nvidia drivers version 528.66, but today I did check support page from other manufacturers and here what I found:

Lenovo: stuck on v528.52

HP: stuck on v528.40

MSI: stuck on v527.83

Razer and XMG: no customized drivers required, original drivers from Intel and Nvidia can be used.

So it seems to me that all manufacturers from which customized graphic drivers are required are all stuck on Nvidia driver v527.xx or 528.xx version.

@Flo wrote:

It seems to me to be a widespread issue and I found curious the lack of communication about it.

So, with ASUS we are stuck on Nvidia drivers version 528.66, but today I did check support page from other manufacturers and here what I found:

Lenovo: stuck on v528.52

HP: stuck on v528.40

MSI: stuck on v527.83

Razer and XMG: no customized drivers required, original drivers from Intel and Nvidia can be used.

So it seems to me that all manufacturers from which customized graphic drivers are required are all stuck on Nvidia driver v527.xx or 528.xx version.

Two weeks later... here is the update:

Lenovo: upgrade to 528.66 released on May, 18th, but still stuck on v528.xx...

HP: still stuck on v528.40

MSI: still stuck on v527.83

Dell: stuck on 528.79

Asus: still stuck on 528.66

So the conclusion remain: all manufacturers from which customized graphic drivers are required are all stuck on Nvidia driver v528.xx version at max.

There is obviously an an undisclosed issue here... and it is boring as a customer to not receive any communication about it.

This situation is ridiculous: gamings laptops with non-updatable video drivers!

Wants to use RTX super resolution? Forget about it.

Wants latests upgrades from your games? (Diablo IV, Cyberpunk, and much more) Just forget about it!

Please ASUS, Please... 

You are right, it's a very disappointing issue and obviously something larger is happening here. 

I have two other 4090 laptops aside from the Asus Scar 16. The MSI Titan also has issues with the latest Nvidia drivers, so I have to keep it on the MSI 528.92 version that came out in May. 

I have a Razer Blade 16 4090 - and that one actually works perfectly fine with the newest Nvidia drivers. HDR is great too.  It does not exhibit the same black screen or freezing issues at all. Makes sense as you mentioned Razer and XMG don't have customized graphics drivers. 

A Sager 4090 laptop which also doesn't have the customized drivers I believe also would freeze occasionally too, that I tested.