cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Asus the best or other brands?

AsusMan
Level 7
I been comparing Asus with other brands and I am getting confused..

Why are other brands cheaper than Asus, but have better tech specs?

The ones I saw were MSI and SAGER. They had better specs for less money? Is there a reason for this?

Does Asus cost more because of better cooling system and design?

I found the prices on xotic pc.
24 REPLIES 24

hsp25
Level 8
Asking such a question on an asus forum is bound to get biased replies don't you think?

I only have an i7 hp (dv6) and am not happy with it

hsp25 wrote:
Asking such a question on an asus forum is bound to get biased replies don't you think?

Well, some people are not biased!

and why is this board so dead!

There is like 70 people viewing it, but no post!

I need some help!!!!!!!!

AsusMan wrote:
Well, some people are not biased!

and why is this board so dead!

There is like 70 people viewing it, but no post!

I need some help!!!!!!!!

You posted at 1:35am my timezone (Central Time, USA)....this forum has an international audience, we do sleep you know.....Also sometimes people like to gawk at...well....somewhat silly forum posts
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

WontonNoodle
Level 8
for 17 inch, Asus has the best cooling. for 15 inch the G55 cooling is about the same as other 15 inchers with same specs, which is disappointing for me since the fan is so big and heavy.

WontonNoodle wrote:
for 17 inch, Asus has the best cooling. for 15 inch the G55 cooling is about the same as other 15 inchers with same specs, which is disappointing for me since the fan is so big and heavy.

@WontonNoodle, ASUS changed the cooling design for the G55 from two fans to one. Hence the reason the cooling is so much worse than the older G53 models. G75 still uses two fans, so its cooling is better than just about anything minus a desktop.

OP: Is ASUS better, yes and no. Top reliability, yes: Toshiba, ASUS, Apple, and Sony.
* Toshiba makes next to no computers with 1080p :(, but their customer service is good.
* Apple has the best customer service (better than ASUS, and I'm a mod here...let's see how long that lasts. 😉 ) but they won't let you upgrade anything, and their computers are insanely hot. Think, sitting at idle Windows desktop and the computer will get hot enough to hurt your fingers.
* Sony is the Windows version of Apple, same proprietary problems, except that their computers make noise but don't overheat as badly.
* ASUS has mediocre customer service, but they cost less than the other three, and the forms are second to none...if I do say so myself. :cool:

I'd buy ASUS over MSI or SAGER any day.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
... I'd buy ASUS over MSI or SAGER any day.

... Dittos.

It is all in how you 'weigh' better/best. Bang for the 'buck' ? Asus all day.c.

Zygomorphic wrote:
@WontonNoodle, ASUS changed the cooling design for the G55 from two fans to one. Hence the reason the cooling is so much worse than the older G53 models. G75 still uses two fans, so its cooling is better than just about anything minus a desktop.

OP: Is ASUS better, yes and no. Top reliability, yes: Toshiba, ASUS, Apple, and Sony.
* Toshiba makes next to no computers with 1080p :(, but their customer service is good.
* Apple has the best customer service (better than ASUS, and I'm a mod here...let's see how long that lasts. 😉 ) but they won't let you upgrade anything, and their computers are insanely hot. Think, sitting at idle Windows desktop and the computer will get hot enough to hurt your fingers.
* Sony is the Windows version of Apple, same proprietary problems, except that their computers make noise but don't overheat as badly.
* ASUS has mediocre customer service, but they cost less than the other three, and the forms are second to none...if I do say so myself. :cool:

I'd buy ASUS over MSI or SAGER any day.

Not that most people will care, but Apple's customer service comes at the expense of Apple regularly abusing everyone on the other side of things. Apple is like the abusive spouse, or dare I even say pimp. In public they're all smiles and kind words. Then when the public isn't looking, they start punching, kicking, and slamming "partner" companies' heads into walls. All of those things you see going on at Foxconn factories over in China is absolutely just the very tip of the iceberg. That is going on up and down the entire supply chain with Apple.

I met one of Toshiba's engineers at an old job... Nice guy. Aside from the rather "brilliant" decision to sandwich two high end video cards in the Qossimo x305 (think it was 305) systems which ended about as well as you'd think, and the obvious corner cutting on the low end, I have nothing too bad to say about Toshiba. Trying to find someone who would fix those Toshiba units was fun too. Wasn't really involved in a lot of the details, but apparently Toshiba wanted some ridiculous amount of money for the cards, and then none of the major companies like Flextronics, Bizcom, Micromedic, etc, wanted to touch them for the same reason. I remember seeing stacks of 20-30 such units stuck on a cart by my old supervisor's desk because we had no way to work on them. Top management wouldn't sign off on letting us order parts from Toshiba at the price they wanted, no one else would take the outsourcing business.

Sony likes to think they're the PC version of Apple, but really they're just plain overpriced. Sony's entertainment division has been systematically destroying their various hardware businesses for ages now. Why they let executives in charge of producing movies, music, and TV shows have any say over what hardware goes into a TV, computer, or game console is beyond me. They should have spun off the entertainment division ages ago.

Yes, @cl-scott, I know about Apple's abusive policies...think Samsung. Samsung makes their CPUs, their displays, and Apple sues them for "copyright infringement".

A note about cooling: Copper is meaningless if the fans are powerful enough or the heatsink isn't designed properly. Designing a good cooling system for a notebook requires a lot of complicated and special engineering. It's not like a desktop.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
Yes, @cl-scott, I know about Apple's abusive policies...think Samsung. Samsung makes their CPUs, their displays, and Apple sues them for "copyright infringement".

A note about cooling: Copper is meaningless if the fans are powerful enough or the heatsink isn't designed properly. Designing a good cooling system for a notebook requires a lot of complicated and special engineering. It's not like a desktop.

I don't want to take this too far off topic, but Apple has actually been slashing the order numbers for a lot of the contracts it has with Samsung, even AFTER winning the first round of the lawsuits. How dare Samsung defend itself and not cower before the almighty Apple?

Anyway, to bring this back to the topic at hand, you are absolutely right. Laptops are very finely calibrated machines, and a lot of careful engineering goes into the designing of the hardware. You don't want to just go messing with things in a laptop like you might on a desktop. The margin for error on laptops is significantly less.