cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7-8750h HyperThreading on or off? proofs inside.

chumacher
Level 7
Hi,

Using HyperThreading in most games is useless. (if you have 6 cores or more)
Disabling gives you same FPS or even better in popular eSports FPS title CSGO.

You can achieve the same amount of FPS in most games with 6 cores without HyperThreading and the best thing is, less power, means less heat.

Video for proof, sorry for quality, honor 6 camera is not the best.

ps. there is info @ video description.
I don't have many newer games in my steam library. Doom 2016 is newest FPS that I do own. Maybe I Will test that next.
11 REPLIES 11

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Oh well, where do I begin?

First of all, this isn't the correct subforum to post something like this. This is the GL series subforum.

Second, you proved nothing other than CSGO runs better without HT,which is no news. I said that on the other thread. It runs on an ancient engine that takes no benefit from it.

Third, that's a sample test size of 1. You can't make any conclusions out of it.

Do some proper testing.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Oh well, where do I begin?

First of all, this isn't the correct subforum to post something like this. This is the GL series subforum.

Second, you proved nothing other than CSGO runs better without HT,which is no news. I said that on the other thread. It runs on an ancient engine that takes no benefit from it.

Third, that's a sample test size of 1. You can't make any conclusions out of it.

Do some proper testing.

you are just the worst.

6 celcius lower temps when full load (cinebench R15 test proved that)
better fps in csgo (1% lows are important in this game since they occur in the action scenes when it's very important to have good fps.
less power consumption 10w~
most played game on steam.

just don't comment if you don't have anything positive to say 🙂
go out for a beer you told me that you like them 🙂

I think you have a problem with people who have information that you don't then you start flaming them.

and if admins don't want this thread here , well they can move it 🙂

can you stay out of my threads.

ps. you seem like a rich guy, buy me the games to want me to benchmark, sure makes me and the community happy 🙂
but what would make you happy? tell me and lets figure that out shall we mister

chumacher wrote:
you are just the worst.

6 celcius lower temps when full load (cinebench R15 test proved that)
better fps in csgo (1% lows are important in this game since they occur in the action scenes when it's very important to have good fps.
less power consumption 10w~
most played game on steam.

just don't comment if you don't have anything positive to say 🙂
go out for a beer you told me that you like them 🙂

I think you have a problem with people who have information that you don't then you start flaming them.

and if admins don't want this thread here , well they can move it 🙂

can you stay out of my threads.

ps. you seem like a rich guy, buy me the games to want me to benchmark, sure makes me and the community happy 🙂
but what would make you happy? tell me and lets figure that out shall we mister

Cinebench is a compute synthetic test. It does not reflect gaming performance in any way.

Again, you proved nothing there other than that turning off HT makes csgo run better. That doesn't means in any way that it will improve performance or thermals in newer games. Counter strike runs on an ancient engine from a time when HT was still in its infancy. No wonder it doesn't like ht.

People have been arguing about this HT conundrum since the mid 2000's. Don't act like you're the only one that knows about it around here.

I'm not buying you any games for you to test. Plenty of reputable sources already did extensive tests and they show HT either makes little to no difference or improve the performance depending on how cpu intensive the game is.

If you're happy leaving HT off and that works for you, excellent. But don't go around preaching that like it's the holy grail of modern computing and everyone should do the same.

Unless you're stuck playing old games, you shouldn't worry about it.

Might as well turn off core parking while you are at it, for that extra oomph. If you throw an undervolt at the same time the cpu will become so power efficient that you might receive some cash instead of a power bill next month heh

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Cinebench is a compute synthetic test. It does not reflect gaming performance in any way.

Again, you proved nothing there other than that turning off HT makes csgo run better. That doesn't means in any way that it will improve performance or thermals in newer games. Counter strike runs on an ancient engine from a time when HT was still in its infancy. No wonder it doesn't like ht.

People have been arguing about this HT conundrum since the mid 2000's. Don't act like you're the only one that knows about it around here.

I'm not buying you any games for you to test. Plenty of reputable sources already did extensive tests and they show HT either makes little to no difference or improve the performance depending on how cpu intensive the game is.

If you're happy leaving HT off and that works for you, excellent. But don't go around preaching that like it's the holy grail of modern computing and everyone should do the same.

Unless you're stuck playing old games, you shouldn't worry about it.

Might as well turn off core parking while you are at it, for that extra oomph. If you throw an undervolt at the same time the cpu will become so power efficient that you might receive some cash instead of a power bill next month heh

haistappa vittu, vitun urpo neekeri, tapa ittes ja perhees ku et osaa muutaku valittaa.
(use translate ****ing idiot)
(please ban me, the level on this forum is pathetic)

This is a start. You've demonstrated a difference under heavy load but I'd argue that's when you need the extra oomph, not to kneecap your processor. I'm not sure it's worth modding the BIOS and having to restart to switch either. As your CB runs demonstrate you get worse performance with CPU intensive tasks so it's a trade off for questionable gain. For older games and GPU bound games you might not see much difference in playability but there are games that really hammer the CPU and you'd have to switch back if you want to play those with the best performance.

The machine isn't overheating in either scenario so the temps don't really matter. Power might be a different story but even that is mostly relevant when on battery. You may want to run a few tests on battery and see what performance is like. Unfortunately battery drain is a pain to test because you have to have a consistent load. People used to use Battery Eater but I'm not sure what the tool of choice is these days. Maybe just loop Youtube? Not sure.

1. i'm demonstrating that you get same performance or better in GAMES Without HT + lower power usage , temps and in old games like csgo better FPS.
2. I don't care about synthetic testing, I only did Cinebench because that shows the max TEMPS and difference in power consumption.
3. yes, MY MACHINE is not overheating. I have liquid metal and -180mV undervolt. (not everyone else have this good cpu that undervolts this much, they MAY HAVE FACTORY PASTE, SO TO THEM IT's IMPORTANT TO GET THOSE 6 DEGREES OFF)
4.I think people playing with battery knows that this machine can do 1-2h gaming. so not worth it. I don't care about the batterylife in gaming...

And because Games today are mostly optimized for 4-8 cores rather than 12, that is the reason we should have this option to disable HT. but asus once again proved that they do not care about their customers, only money.

chumacher wrote:
haistappa vittu, vitun urpo neekeri, tapa ittes ja perhees ku et osaa muutaku valittaa.
(use translate ****ing idiot)
(please ban me, the level on this forum is pathetic)

1. i'm demonstrating that you get same performance or better in GAMES Without HT + lower power usage , temps and in old games like csgo better FPS.
2. I don't care about synthetic testing, I only did Cinebench because that shows the max TEMPS and difference in power consumption.
3. yes, MY MACHINE is not overheating. I have liquid metal and -180mV undervolt. (not everyone else have this good cpu that undervolts this much, they MAY HAVE FACTORY PASTE, SO TO THEM IT's IMPORTANT TO GET THOSE 6 DEGREES OFF)
4.I think people playing with battery knows that this machine can do 1-2h gaming. so not worth it. I don't care about the batterylife in gaming...

And because Games today are mostly optimized for 4-8 cores rather than 12, that is the reason we should have this option to disable HT. but asus once again proved that they do not care about their customers, only money.

I don't even need Google Translate for that. I know what you're talking about from playing My Summer Car. How rude.

1- The only thing you demonstrated there was that CSGO, a game that runs on an ancient engine, runs marginally better with HT off. That's about it. Not better performance in "GAMES". Not plural. Just better performance in that specific game. Plain and simple. Until you do some more proper testing, don't waste your time preaching that nonsense.
2- That makes no sense whatsoever. If you don't care about synthetic tests, why are you presenting it in your tests? It doesn't reflect gaming performance or thermals in any way.
3- Good for you.
4- Then why would you care about a couple watts less of power consumption? That would make little to no difference in thermals anyways. But I see you like taking your placebo pills, so go right ahead and knock yourself out.

If the cores are not being utilized, they're not generating heat. Which defeats the whole purpose on what you're trying to do and prove, just like with the core parking thing.

So, according to you, Asus is evil because they don't want us to disable HT and gain some free performance for whatever reason (maybe they just want to see us suffer, right?), Microsoft is evil too because they won't allow us to disable core parking and probably the government is also evil because they're hiding the fact that the earth is flat and the reptilians are living among us. Totally makes sense.

Good riddance!

you just want to disagree about everything and you are scared that you are not so smart after all just copy pasting what others do.

sad sad man. propably not getting enough pussy? mby you should leave computers and start life outside computers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrnkj5Tebs4

watch and learn .

HT OFF IS BETTER
BETTER FPS
BETTER TEMPS
IN DESKTOP CPUS YOU CAN EVEN OVERCLOCK HIGHER
LOWER TDP

CASE CLOSED

ASUS NEEDS TO PROVIDE LAPTOP USERS THE POSSIBILITY TO DISABLE HYPERTHREADING

NOW BAN ME YOU LITTLE ****S

chumacher wrote:

watch and learn .

HT OFF IS BETTER
BETTER FPS
BETTER TEMPS
LOWER TDP

CASE CLOSED

FMJ isn't a moderator and has no ability to ban you. All he can do is argue with you. All you had to do was ignore him or respond with good humor.

But if you don't think you can control your temper I can oblige you since you've now decided to escalate. I gave you a chance.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

chumacher wrote:

watch and learn .

HT OFF IS BETTER
BETTER FPS
BETTER TEMPS
LOWER TDP

CASE CLOSED

Don't be so gullible. Look at the info on the screen. GPU is going at ~70% on the left with only one of the cores doing hard work. He just changed the processor affinity on the task manager to forge the results. Then on the right, the GPU load magically jumps to 100%.

Like I said, if you like those placebo pills, go ahead and knock yourself out.