Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to upgrade my STRIX g15 to the best ram possible please help

Syttorak
Level 7
Hey everyone!

I have an ASUS ROG STRIX G15 - G513QM-WS96
Ryzen 9 5900HX + RTX 3060 LAPTOP
It came new with 2 ram sticks that make up 16gb. They are DD4-3200 - CL=22.

I am under the impression it is not possible to put any ram faster than DDR4-3200 in this machine. But does anyone know if there is any good aftermarket GAMING RAM that I can get that will at least be better in some way, or a few ways?
Is there some compatible aftermarket ram maybe by G-SKILL or one of those decent companies that has a better CL RATING (CAS LATENCY) or something? I have been told to go for BOTH Dual Rank & Dual Channel, I am pretty sure it supports that all. But What about a better latency?

Essentially since both slots are ALREADY taken, and I want to add more, then I figured since it is better to have matching sticks for Dual Channel I might as well just get either 2x16 or 2x32, at this point I am thinking I will shoot for 2x32 IF I CAN GET A GOOD DEAL. But I don't want to get EITHER unless it is going to be worth it etc.

So what is everyone's advice? Can I get better specs on the aftermarket ram or not? AND THANK YOU In advance everyone!!

-Syttorak
3 REPLIES 3

Triton_se
Level 8
Some FPS stats from more than a year ago when I played and monitored Warzone:

Asus ROG Strix G17 G713QR-HG022T
AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
RTX 3070 8GB 115+15W
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 2x16GB 3200MHz CL22 1.2v (F4-3200C22D-32GRS)
(stock clocks, my normal graphics settings in Warzone, DLSS disabled)

2x8GB original memory, internal monitor: 117.5 FPS (100%)
2x8GB original memory, external monitor: 136.1 FPS (116%)
2x16GB RipJaws memory, internal monitor: 144.3 FPS (123%) - 23% higher fps in Warzone by replacing memory
2x16GB RipJaws memory, external monitor: 162.2 FPS (138%) - 38% higher fps in Warzone by replacing memory and using external monitor via USB-C port

Using ripjaws and external monitor I had same fps in 2560x1440 as I had in 1920x1080 with default RAM and monitor, there are 78% more pixels in 1440p and it looked awesome 🙂

Using external monitor through DP 1.4 cable and USB-C port, not HDMI

Triton.se wrote:
Some FPS stats from more than a year ago when I played and monitored Warzone:

using ripjaws and external monitor I had same fps in 2560x1440 as I had in 1920x1080 with default RAM and monitor, there are 78% more pixels in 1440p and it looked awesome 🙂

Using external monitor through DP 1.4 cable and USB-C port, not HDMI

_
-
I appreciate the reply. Thank you very much, and that Ripjaw is just the standard CL-22 Ram? except aftermarket instead of stock? The only problem I have run into, that has lead me to stop looking into this for the time being (due to spending like 5 hours on it and not finding a good answer) is that I cannot find anyone that has my exact Laptop and had a good experience with a certain ram.

For example while your reply is great and I am grateful, your system is slightly different. There is large differences in some laptops from others. Mine was a cheaper model (walmart) and although its a pretty nice machine I wouldn't be surprised if it has a lesser motherboard or something in it. So My current plan of action is to continue using it for the time being. I just ONLY got it last week anyways. If I decide I NEED a little more speed I will try your ram. Thanks bud!

Triton_se
Level 8
Yes it's standard G.Skill memory, the differance is in subtimings which aren't shown in normal specs. All are the same "22-22-22" but with other differences. Stock memory have memory chips on one side, these have on both sides.

Watch this video, download Zen Timings and see what subtimings you have.