cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to upgrade ROG Strix G18 (2023) RAM to 5600mhz in BIOS

NecipReis
Level 8

I want Asus officials to support this issue. I want to upgrade ROG Strix G18 (2023) RAM to 5600 mhz. Please do a bios update for it. Other brands allow up to 6000 MHz.

297 REPLIES 297

Do you have miniled screen? 

Within the G834 / G814 series 18" displays (G18) there are no mini LED screens used. This option is only available for some G634 models with 16" displays (G16). The G614 also have no mini LED.

matchu5489
Level 8

I recently bought a Kingston Fury kit x2 16GB @ 5600mhz for a total of 32GB and all is working fine. I think it honestly depends on your RAM. I didn’t have to change any bios settings either it auto tuned the RAM for me.

Matchu5489, why did you upgraded to 5600mhz ram? 

I upgraded my RAM because 16GB wasn't enough for me, and it was $10 more to go with 5600mhz than 4800mhz on Black Friday.

matchu5489
Level 8

 I was able to use this kit below. I have x2 16GB sticks at 5600mhz. I didn’t have to change anything I bios either. The i9 13980HX auto tuned the RAM.

https://shop.kingston.com/products/impact-ddr5-laptop-memory?utm_source=shop_app&list_generator=link...

IMG_7502.jpeg

Scar16_4090
Level 12

@Yokehoo @izy @NecipReis @Criptix @Kogashjne @Ranty79 @a3x05 @sonertari 

Question about XMP support 

Screenshot_20231222_010029.jpg

Answer 

Screenshot_20231222_001924.jpg

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/rog-strix-series/list-of-issues-with-asus-rtx-4000-laptops/td-p/978671...

Looks like other brands doesn't support XMP or 6000mhz ram in their laptops 

I leave this here for asus users to discuss 

Bogus5
Level 10

It's a good idea to read the CPU and chipset specifications, because they indicate what memory is supported, and the BIOS won't help much here.

@Bogus5 
That's correct 👍 We've to read the official Intel docs correctly, compare them to our system specs and then we can figure out which stuff should be supported and the manufacturers of the RAM have to describe their modules correctly and most detailed. Newer BIOS versions can help here also while ASUS is still working on this.
As we have no QVL it's sometimes hard to figure out which modules are proven or realy will run at their expected speeds at 1.1V while the market is flooded with different kind of modules with different profiles and specs. 
I guess in this case it would be less frustrating for some customers when ASUS decides to implement XMP support ( with up to 1.35V support ). As we don't know why ASUS made this decission ( based on fixed powerlines, expecting heating problems or what ever ) we can't use any modules on the market and have to hardly figure out by testing which ones are compatible to our system. I don't know if the red corner ( AMD systems ) have the same trouble to find the perfect modules for their systems or if EXPO is implemented to some of their systems and is working.

So if a RAM manufacturer is talking about 5600MT/s support you have to take a deeper look into their specs which are sometimes hard to find. Not every manufacturer is talking clearly about 5600MT/s at 1.1V and will promote their modules as 5600 compatible ( and somewhere in the deeper section you'll figure out that these settings are only possible if XMP is supported by the board ). Sadly, over the years it's getting harder to find a perfect solution for yourself and your system. I think this was easier years before. I'm in hope that the next generation of laptop RAM will end up this mess of confusing and different standards for different systems.

What we can say by now ( so far ) is, that some Kingston modules are running with SK Hynix chips. Also some Crucial modules where tested in here with Micron chips and at least some Samsungs modules are also supported. But they all have to be programmed in the regular JEDEC standard with 5600MT/s at 1.1V while XMP isn't supported !!! And when it comes to bigger sized and therefore double ranked modules ( like 32GB and 48GB ) they will only run at 5200MT/s maximum supported speed ( like described in the official Intel doc ). Like I said I guess that in this case XMP can help some frustrated users to get the full power of their modules but we'll never know why ASUS isn't supporting this yet. And the changes made to our BIOS versions will also be a big mysterium to us while ASUS is still talking about "system improvements" to every new version. There was also a better and more detailed communication to the customers in the past.

After all we've to deal with the situation. I feel sorry for not giving you a complete list of tested and approved modules in here but I still think this is the tiny little work that have been done by ASUS and not by us, the endusers 😉 

That are just my 2 Cents to this.