cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to upgrade ROG Strix G18 (2023) RAM to 5600mhz in BIOS

NecipReis
Level 8

I want Asus officials to support this issue. I want to upgrade ROG Strix G18 (2023) RAM to 5600 mhz. Please do a bios update for it. Other brands allow up to 6000 MHz.

297 REPLIES 297

tiagoferreira
Level 7

After quite a bit of reading, it seems better to wait until ASUS recommends 64GB 5600MHz RAM that work correctly. ASUS is falling behind the competition, I would be ashamed 😅

your not reading enough considering you complained about asus being at fault for this in 2 threads.
its literally intels fault for requiring single sided ram to even function at 5600mhz its got nothing to do with asus

the fact that you require asus to recommend you ram is a testiment in itself

@tiagoferreira Like @izy said, please feel free to have a look at the official Intel documentation.

https://edc.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/products/platforms/details/raptor-lake-s/13th-generat...

You'll find detailed informations on the first part ( actual document 743844 ) in chapter 5 "Memory" starting at page 98. If you'll take a look at the 13th Gen Intel HX processor and DDR5 SO-DIMM you'll find the offical specs of single ranked modules running at 5600MT/s while dual ranked modules are only running at 5200MT/s. That's a fact for single dual channel binding to the CPU which means that are only two memory slots are available. When it comes to double dual channel ( or quad channel in summary 4 RAM slots which is also possible for this CPU and used by some manufacturers ) the support decreases to 4000MT/s in single ranked modules and 3600MT/s for double ranked modules. That all by max supporting 128GB of total memory.

All other stuff is only done by XMP profiles which uses a slightly overclocking and overvoltage to 1,35V instead of the official standard 1,1V. While ASUS isn't supporting XMP you have to deal with these official numbers. 32GB ( 64GB kit ) and 48GB ( 96GB kit ) modules are always double ranked so these modules will possibly run in maximum 5200MT/s while the smaller modules ( like 8GB, 16GB and 24GB ) are single ranked and can run up to 5600MT/s. That also depends on the RAM programming itself ( from the RAM manufacturer site like Kingston, Mushkin, Crucial, etc. ), the manufacturer support of the mainboard ( in this case ASUS ) and the RAM training sequence if these modules are recognized and identified correctly at their programmed speed and voltage.

Hopefully this clears somethings up. 😉

fav
Level 8

Hello, in a few days I will receive 64GB of the Kingston Fury Impact kit
For this G834JZ.321 STRIX SCAR G18 device, can you recommend what configuration I should set and what steps to follow in the bios to update.

Dear @fav,

there's no special magic in there. Mostly updates are done for more compatibility like newer CPU's are implemented into older mainboards and stuff like that. When you keep this in mind the logical way is to update your BIOS first before you change the RAM. Normaly when you start up your system the update will be done automatically by Windows Update, an alternative way is by using the MyASUS app or ( if you want to do it by your own ) you can also download the newest BIOS version in the support area from the ASUS website. There are also two version of the new BIOS file on their website. One is startable directly from Windows and is doing the update in the same way as Windows Update or the MyASUS app is updating your system. The second version is called "for EZ flash utility". So if you want to update your system via the BIOS internal EZ flash utility you have to download the "EZ flash" file to an USB-Stick and went into your BIOS setting where you can find the EZ flash utility and select the newer version from your USB-Stick. Last option is normaly used by users having different OS then MS Windows to keep them up to date, or if users had problems with the other update options.

To keep a long story short. Start your system in regular configration and do the updates. If you already have the latest BIOS version just shut down your system, disconnect the powerplug, open the case, ground yourself by touching a heating radiator or something like that nearby to prevent you from static electricity and damaging electrical components. Then simply change the RAM modules. After closing the case and reconnecting the powerplug just turn on your system by touching the power button once. The first boot can durate a few seconds within automaticaly restarting 1-3 times ( normaly all under a minute ). This is the training sequence of the new RAM and please don't interrupt this sequence by pressing any key or the power button again !!! After a minute or two the system will now boot up regular to your OS and that's all. The new RAM is now shown in the taskmanager.

That's all. Many words for a simple step 😉 Update - change - have fun 👍

fav
Level 8

Thank you, I have already updated to bios 321, I was referring to the memory part within the bios, if you have to set the speed to 5200mhz or something similar. Does it automatically set to 5,200Mhz?

There's no possibility and no need to change something. After RAM training is done the memory is working with it's possible settings. All automatic.

Installed and everything working correctly. That's if the memory is 5200. Thanks for the help.

Whats your laptop model fav? 

Scar strix g18 4080 i9