cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to upgrade ROG Strix G18 (2023) RAM to 5600mhz in BIOS

NecipReis
Level 8

I want Asus officials to support this issue. I want to upgrade ROG Strix G18 (2023) RAM to 5600 mhz. Please do a bios update for it. Other brands allow up to 6000 MHz.

297 REPLIES 297

That's realy sad to hear, but to be honest if I where in your situation I propably had done the same thing.

Sadly XMP isn't activated for us and I don't know how the modules are programmed so I would guess that the same JEDEC profiles are used in both modules plus some extra profiles for XMP use ( like you did ). But as we can read from the datasheet they're talking explicit that the standard JEDEC timings set to 4800 🤔 So, you can try to read out the specifications of the modules by using HWInfo tool. If you're lucky and there are some JEDEC profiles for 5200 or 5600 you can try to set your voltage offset in BIOS to 0 ( or disable it ) and try a hardreset for a new RAM training sequence and hope that they will recognize as 5600 modules. If you can't find any JEDEC standard profiles for 5200 or 5600 I guess the modules are only programmed in XMP mode to this speeds and therefore you have no chance to get this modules run at higher speeds without XMP support, which means you have to check with your dealer wether you can exchange the DDR5-6000 XMP modules to the correct ones ( DDR5-5600 PnP ). 😔

Cross my fingers that you can find some JEDEC profiles in there and get the modules run to your expected speeds. Otherwise I'm in hope that your dealer is nice and will change the modules.

Nevertheless by all the sad stuff I'm glad that you sharing this informations to us to avoid others from doing the same mistake 👍

Hello. Regarding your previous answer to me about upgrading to 5600mhz

"mind that upgrading from single ranked modules to double ranked modules ( for example from 16GB sticks = 32GB kit to 32GB sticks = 64GB kit ) limites you to 5200MT/s ( instead of 5600MT/s for single ranked modules like 16GB sticks = 32GB kit )."

So single ranked ram = 5600mt

dual ranked ram = 5200mt ?

I plan in buying a 32gb kit (16GBx2) with 5600mhz and probably CL40 (i dont see anything lower then CL40)

My use is gaming, i dont care about benchmarks or other computer work/function, is just for gaming

Whats the best 32gb 5600mhz ram kit i can buy in europe? with the best CL?

And working at 5600mhz without having to do anything? just install the ram and done

Ranty79
Level 7

Good morning everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I'm writing from Italy.
I am interested in purchasing this notebook and would like to maximize it immediately, with 64 GB of RAM and at least 4 TB of HDD.
I would like the HDDs in raid0.
I read the whole post on the operating speed of the RAM and I would also be fine with 5200 MHz of 64 GB, but I also read that it can reach 96 GB confirmed?
I called Asus Italia, and they indicated the Samsung M425R4GA3BB0 chips as RAM compatible at 5600 MHz, but on the Samsung website they say they are at 4800, and for this reason I would aim for the Kingston FURY Impact [KF556S40IBK2-64] that you suggest here in the forum
As for the HDDs, they tell me that it only accepts a max of 4 TB, in 2 2TB disks and as compatible with raid0 they tell me there are the 2Tb Hynix HFS002TEJ9X101N.
At this point I would ask you a few questions:
• Can I fit 96 GB of RAM? Model?
• Are there other HDDs compatible with raid0?
• Can disks in raid0 be partitioned to have 3 or 4 disk drives?
Thank you in advance, in Asus Italy, in addition to the compatible RAM and HDD models, they were unable to tell me anything.
Excuse my English again.

Hi @Ranty79 and welcome to the forum.

As you can see some posts upwards ( the bright once ) the user @sonertari confirmed that his new Crucial 48GB modules running as 96GB kit in 5200MT/s as expected 👍 So 48GB modules are possible to run on this machine. As you are talking about the 64GB Kingston Fury Kit KF556S40IBK2-64 I can personaly confirm that this kit is running very well on my own Scar 18. ATTENTION: the DDR5-6000 XMP kit is reported NOT to run in 5200 or 5600 while the JEDEC standard is programmed to 4800 and XMP is NOT supported by ASUS !!! ( as these kits are 32GB only at this moment, I think they are not in interest for you ).

When it comes to the NVMEs I have no further experience yet. I'm still waiting for a good deal ( maybe black friday deal in november ) for an upgrade. The next steps are some stupid brainfarts of mine 😉 so if I'm incorrect in that, please feel free to correct me !!!

If I'm not wrong, there is a support of 4TB NVMEs which comes to the conclusion that a maximum support of 8TB in total is the max you can use on this system. As the NVMEs are connected via PCIe 4.0 x4 ( 8000MB/s maximum transfer ) the newer models will support near to max. ( 7500/6500 ) I'm not pretty sure if a RAID0 will double the datarate nearly to PCIe 5.0 standards in this case or if it's still limited to it's 8000MB/s. 🤔 I'll have to do some resaerch in that by my own, cause I'm also interested in that. But to be honest, I don't expect such a hughe step in using RAID0 on NVMEs. As any RAID the storage is recognized as one drive and surely you can partition your drive, but that's not the real way to use a RAID configuration. I understand your expectations or idea in that, but it doesn't make any sense to me when we take a closer look how RAID configrations work.

When it comes to the models of NVMEs that can be used, I also have no clue about that. Why should there be only some special models running ? I guess they will all run, no matter which brand or which chips used on the NVMEs. In my situation I had a spare 2TB Samsung 980 Pro which I installed into my system as second drive. After upgrading the firmware via Samsung Magician I deinstalled this software and get a little performance boost. Don't know why the NVME of Samsung is slower while using their own software whithout changing anything in there and get's a little more speed when deinstalling this tool again 🙄

So for the future ( like I told you I'm awaiting some good deals ) I'm planning to upgrade to a 4TB WD black SN850X or ( if the deals won't reach my expectations ) I'm interested into a 4TB Lexar NM790. These are both different technologies in NVME builds and have both pros and cons on their side. I'm awaiting a performance boost against my actual Samsung 980 Pro in smaller 4K IOPS and therefore a faster system and loading times. I can't explain that much in details cause it's hard for me to translate all that stuff so please feel free to do some research by your own about the used technologies of these drives, their pros and cons and the effect of them and take a look at some benchmarks, loading times, and so on. When it comes to an end, you'll figure out which is best for you, your workload and your expectations. As I'm not handling large files all day or for long periods, I'll go with the faster IOPS in smaller blocks for my personal favor.

So hopefully I could answer some of your questions or give you some hints to think about in your upgrade plans 😉 Like always, there is no "best way for all" configuration or solution. At least, don't mind about your english 😉 My english isn't perfect, too, cause I'm also not a native english speaker. The most importand part is, to understand the person towards you and that worked perfectly here. 👍

EDIT - i see you replied in private message

thanks

Scar16_4090
Level 12

Question for all gamers with scar 16

Any gamer with scar 16 who upgraded from 4800 to 5600?

I really need some feedback from someone who is a gamer - is there any FPS difference in games?

Thanks!

Oh yes, I'm using the G634JZ. I've been waiting for almost a year (since I got the device), then after updating the bios .321, my ram has reached 5200mhz (Even though it can't reach 5600mhz according to Samsung's standard configuration). but it's even better, it runs at 4800mhz =_= - According to Intel information, the i9-13980hx CPU only receives 5600mhz when the ram is designed with 1R - and the 2R types only have a maximum of 5200mhz

Source: https://edc.intel.com/content/www/ca/fr/design/products/platforms/details/raptor-lake-s/13th-generat...

Kogashjne_0-1700016821365.png

Processor: Core I9-13980HX
Motherboard: ROG Strix Scar16 (G634JZ-N4029W)
Graphics Card: GeForce RTX 4080 Laptop GPU
Storage: MZVL2256HCHQ-00B00 (GXA7601Q) + MZVL22T0HBLB-00B00 (GXB7601Q)
Memory:
2x M425R4GA3BB0-CWMOD
Mice:
G502X Plus (910-006164)

Ranty79
Level 7

Thanks Yakehoo for the super detailed explanations.

I'm talk about raid0 as on my current G703 it had 2 Intel P760s (I think) of 256 GB which compared to my current Samsung 970 pro had impressive speeds and the raid0 only worked with that model. Consider
that I currently have 4 physical disks in the notebook and also in the future I need to have data separation, for this reason I was asking about partitioning the raid0. The convenience of having 4 separate drives is unmatched with only 2hdd and the raid0 for 3d modeling is super advantageous for me. At this point I think I'll opt for 64 GB of RAM and maybe 8 TB, I'll have to look at the costs. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Dear @Ranty79,

The main reason why to use a RAID0 was speed improvement. In my opinion that made sense in the past few years when we where using HDD's and low portspeeds ( from IDE, to SCSI or SATA ). As we've now very fast NVME's this bottleneck is no longer a big problem. As I remember correctly the first PCIe 3.0 NVMEs brought us up to 10x the speed compared to SATA. And I realy don't know if an actual RAID0 build of two highspeed NVME with 7500r/6500w will boost the performance this much. To figure that out I have to do some research. And if so, what is the real benefit of such a combination ? In a RAID0 there are two disks merged to one drive and the informations are splitted to both of them. So if you have a file with "1-0-0-1" the first digit will be written on disc 1, the second on drive two, the third on drive one, the fouth on disk two a.s.o. This is where the performance came from. The big issue in this constellation is data loss. If one drive is broken, all data will be lost and there's no possibility to get them back, cause all files are split into the two drives. When you decide to partition the drives into 2,3 or 4 partitions, I don't know excatly how the controller will react and split the information to the drives. In my suggestion the dataflow must be reorganized every time and the performance plus of the RAID will drop.

To prevent data loss you can build up a RAID1. It's the counterway to RAID0 while all data are written to both drives. So if you're using two 4TB discs in this option you only have 4TB ( instead of 8TB ) but your data is save when a drive gives up. So you can replace the dead drive with a new one and all data on the working one is copied to the new drive and all your data is save and still there.

Please don't ask me about the exact function of other options like RAID5, RAID10 or JBOD. That was never an interest of mine and therefore I don't get into it. For me and my side of view ( at this moment ) I would stand within the regular system configuration without a RAID. For safety reasons I get a NAS for my backups and within this I'm using a RAID1 to prevent data loss. That's the way I'm using this. I think the performance of modern NVMEs are good enough to get a lot of performance. Surely the technology goes on and we'll see first PCIe 5.0 drives with extremly fast read and writing speeds, but what does this mean in practical use ? Where to sent all these fast data packages ? I guess there are not so many users building up a home server with fibre network connections to max out the speed of these modern PCIe 5.0 NVMEs 😉 Back to our laptop there's only PCIe 4.0 possible on both drives and to be honest, when do we need such performance in practical use ? I guess the CPU is more in use to encode some files then the NVME is ever maxed out while read or writing some stuff. O.K. point hunter will see nice numbers in their benchmarks, but is it worth it ? I don't think so.

If you're talking about 3D modelling ( which is a part I have no clue about ) you can simply test your system by opening the taskmanger and have a look at the performance of your actual NVME compared to the CPU. I guess your CPU is 100% on all cores ( depending on the software support ) and your NVME drive will only show some max peaks and mostly work in lower speeds. If the most load is done by your drive and it's nearly maxed out while your CPU is running not in fully load and indeling, then you can be sure that you need a more powerful drive. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense to me.

But as I'm not into it, my suggestions may be wrong, so please feel free to correct me. I'm only human and I still learn every day something new 

Ranty79
Level 7

Good morning Yakehoo,
I thank you for your technical analysis, something I have never done and which is honestly very valid.
Regarding raid0, maybe you're right, my current one is a pcl3 so the performance in raid0 was worth it and with 4 physical disks even more so, because the operating system and the software and 3D files I was working on were in raid0, while the rest of the data on the other disks, with backup on the SSD, always inside the PC.
I will evaluate the best option when I decide to buy it and I thank you because you led me to do a technical analysis that I had never done in these terms.
As for breaking disks, luckily it has only happened to me once today, about 12 years ago but on a PC still with the old turntables, then luckily it has never happened to me again!
Thank you and I wish you a good week!!!