cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am thinking about picking up the ASUS GL552VW-DH71 is it a good laptop?

chrisbek
Level 7
Hello I am hoping someone can help me.

I have been looking to get a laptop for awhile now and was thinking about the getting the ASUS GL552VW-DH71

Right now it is decently priced at my local computer store at $1187.00 CAD before taxes ($1341.41 after taxes).

Here is the laptop:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_1198&item_id=088300

I was wondering from personal experience from those who own it if they can tell me if its a good laptop to purchase and what their own personal experiences have been on it (pros and cons).

I would like to know is the sound quality on the speakers good?

What FPS can you expect to get on games such as Far Cry 4, Witcher 3, GTA 5, Tome Raider, Battlefield 4, Counterstrike GO or any high demanding games when set to ULTRA or High Settings. I would like to hear what other games people have tried and what to expect for frame rate on this machine.

Overall is the screen a good quality? Some have said issues with regards to PWM.

Does the laptop run hot at all?

Are the fans loud at all when running on demanding tasks such as gaming or watching high end movies?

How is the track pad when just using it for simple tasks?

How long can one expect the battery to last when it comes to simple things like browsing the web or doing office related tasks?

Does the wireless work ok as I want to use this at work for internet and its unfortunately all wireless there.

I really want to buy this but I am kinda of on the fence atm.

Hoping to get some input on this machine.
5 REPLIES 5

Edweird
Level 10
I have purchased one for a friend and have done considerable testing on it.

Overall, it's a very good value.

To make it easy, I'll just say that what I found was 98% consistent with what is written in this article.

http://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-gl552vw-review-the-gl552-gets-a-solid-update-still-maintains-...

Edweird wrote:

To make it easy, I'll just say that what I found was 98% consistent with what is written in this article.

http://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-gl552vw-review-the-gl552-gets-a-solid-update-still-maintains-...

Yeah I've been reading a lot of reviews on this machine and I definitely read that review for sure and a few others.

I am mostly interested in how well the machine handles framerates on ultra/high settings as I can't seem to find many who have tested the machine on this for reviews.

I just wanted to see what owners of the machine who has actually used this have to say.

Edweird
Level 10

Sound quality is mediocre, don't expect anything fantastic but it won't make your ears bleed.
Temps are 2-3 degrees lower than the previous models. Hits around 85 degrees under very hard loads, I find this agreeable.
Fans are medium-loud. Definitely not as quiet as a G751/2 for example, but it won't start flying around or anything, it's about what you'd expect.
If anything, it's slightly quieter than any other laptop out there, but considering the high-class CPU and GPU that it has to cool with a single fan ... yeah, it's actually a fair trade. Track pad is not the best of quality but it is large and reliable enough to be used when needed, it didn't stress my hands when using it. Battery life has improved a lot ... we managed to pull 4-5 solid hours on basic browsing with the backlight at 50%. This is excellent.

To be honest, these non-G751/G752 machines are more ... performance versions of standard consumer stuff, with flashier looks.

Edweird
Level 10
The question you should be asking is not "how" it handles Ultra settings but rather "does it" handle Ultra settings and the short answer is no, it does not.

However it can handle High settings with reasonable ease at around 45 FPS average on most modern games. This isn't really a gaming notebook per se but it can hold its own.

ROGKenny
Level 7
In Ultra settings for Battlefield 4, I am getting frames per second around 45fps. Playing online however, depending on how much is going on on the screen, it can drop to 32-35fps, which is still playable.

Lowering the graphics settings to High will be even better.

So in summary, yes the notebook and the G960M can hold its ground. I'm also playing evolve and MK X and have all the settings cranked up high and getting high frame rates.

Just use AC power and you'll be fine.