cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Scar 18 from automatic BIOS update?

Ravenik
Level 8
Hi, is there a way to stop Scar 18 from automatically set up the latest BIOS update? I want to go back to BIOS 305 which I prefer, and stay at 305 currently. However the machine forced me to reboot and installed 306 Bios. How to stay at 305 for the time being?
9 REPLIES 9

Ravenik
Level 8
I found a get around on the WWW, it seems to work for me too, as of now.
1. Get 305 Bios on a USB
2. Boot into the BIOS and downgrade to 305 from 306.
3. During BIOS downgrade, temporarily disable Internet on the router. I just unplugged Internet plug from WAN socket on my router.
4. After BIOS is reverted, In windows disable automatic driver updates (see below - how to)
5. In the device manager, You will see the new bios is still cached so in the firmware option you will see a ( ! ) . This causes the bios to update back even without re downloading the new version.
6. Go to system firmware option in device manager, right click and uninstall the version currently installed with the 'delete the driver software' box ticked.
7. Enable Internet on router
8. Unfortunately MyAsus application kept bugging me to update BIOS so I uninstalled MyAsus

I tried rebooting a couple of times and I think this has solved the issue for now. Although you'll have to manually lookout for any driver updates for your GPU to keep it up to date.

===

How to Disable Automatic Driver Updates Windows 10 from Settings
(I run Windows 11 and In Windows 11 it is similar procedure):
You can turn off automatic driver updates in Windows 10 by changing system settings. Check how to do this below.
Step 1. Access Windows 10 System Settings
You can click Start -> Settings -> System -> About to enter into Windows 10 system settings page.
To quickly access Windows 10 system settings window, you can also press the shortcut key Windows + X, and click System.
In the right window, under Related settings, click Advanced system settings.
Step 2. Disable Automatic Driver Updates in Windows 10
Then you can tap Hardware tab, and click Device Installation Settings button.
In the pop-up Device Installation Settings window, you can tick No (your device might not work as expected) under the message “Do you want to automatically download manufacturers’ apps and custom icons available for your devices?�

werty
Level 7
Ravenik wrote:
Hi, is there a way to stop Scar 18 from automatically set up the latest BIOS update? I want to go back to BIOS 305 which I prefer, and stay at 305 currently. However the machine forced me to reboot and installed 306 Bios. How to stay at 305 for the time being?

You can't revert to a previous version of bios or at least it's not recommended if you are already on v306. For future bios updates you need to uninstall MyAsus if installed in order not to automatically download and install latest updates as well as Windows Update.

For Windows Update you need to set the settings in Group Policy Editor - Computer configuration/Administrative templates/Windows components/Windows Update like this:

Svan
Level 9
Hi,

I downgraded bios to 305 with the flash tool from the bios. I saw my laptop with 306 rebooting when I did a shutdown from Windows 11.
I got also after a game session the fan stuck at high speed. Even a reboot did nothing. I did a full shutdown.
I play "Snowrunner" game and temp were acting more crazy with bios 306 (often 99 degrees).

Just reset settings to default settings after flashing (let it reboot after flash and re-enter bios then reset to default then save and re-enter bios to do your settings)

Greetings.

f26wan
Level 7

For step 6 u gave, do you mean by delete the system firmware by (!). If I do so, will it cause any major problems in the future?

SulimanAF
Level 10

You can stop BIOS automatic updates by doing 2 things, one is not enough:

1- Turn off the automatic Download & Install from the settings in MyAsus app.

2- Use Microsoft's Show or hide updates troubleshooter to hide the BIOS (or any other updates) pushed to your system: Here

Ravenik
Level 8

I ended up with BIOS 308 which worked like a charm and today updated BIOS to 309 - will yet have to check if it is also good. But meanwhile I discovered other method to stop updating: on my firewall interface (Norton) I blocked all applications with "Asus" in the name from accessing Internet. Then it was impossible to arrive at BIOS update by MyAsus. Windows 11.

Went ahead and installed bios 309 to. Any news on what’s new ? I could see performance optimization but that doesn’t really say much. 

SulimanAF
Level 10

I haven't updated my Scar 18 to 309 yet, please let us know if you notice any changes weather good or bad.

Thank you and happy gaming! 🙋🏻‍

It didnt do anything worse.. 🙂 No bios has for me.. But i really dont know what it did... "Performance opt"