cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how lucky am i? screw tight and now screwed - resolved?

crispi420
Level 9
So guys heres the deal, I was disassembling my laptop to repaste so i faced this problem,
when unscrewing the last screw that holds the sink on the motherboard, the same it was very tight,so i put so much force that I screwed/stripped the screw, how do I proceed now?
i have 2 problems, the screwed screw and the same it is very tight that i cant remove it.

how lucky am i? :(:mad::mad::(

this screw - https://prnt.sc/pkqat3

if someone knows how to deal with it, please help me, my laptop its getting so high temperatures that i need to repaste it
thx
6 REPLIES 6

nikkotuason
Level 7
rubberband worked wonders for me in the past.

nikkotuason wrote:
rubberband worked wonders for me in the past.

already tried this and not worked, damm i'm bad luck with eletronics..

I'll have to take an shop assist to see what they can do

thx btw

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Put some masking tape around the screw to protect the electronics from metal particles and cut a slot on it using a dremel. Easy fix.

crispi420
Level 9
situation update ...

with the screw screwed and very tight to the motherboard, I went to sleep very upset!

I woke up today at 5am and accepted the fact that I had to make a slot in the screw that was previously phillips.

and that's what I did, I took 2h and 40minutes with a sharp knife scraping the mini screw until I made a slit in it ..

Before I isolated the area as much as I could with electrical tape so as not to fall metal scraps and close short (i think that is what i meant to say)...

In the end everything worked out pretty well, I got ma brand new laptop again, I did stress test on it and I get 26º less, is now past 70º, which before went to 96º .... BACK TO PLAY BOIS!

PS, i used grizzly thermal paste kryonaut

ty guys and ASUS PLEASE STOP USING ****TY SCREWS!

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
LOL you did it a knife? Damn good job man! I don't think I could do it. Patience is definitely a virtue! Good to know you're back in business.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
LOL you did it a knife? Damn good job man! I don't think I could do it. Patience is definitely a virtue! Good to know you're back in business.

yeah dude, i dont have appropriate equipment here, i'm just a guy who really wanted to get back. ty man