cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please! Asus GL503GE Insane Temperature and Sudden FPS drops

VampWolf
Level 7
My laptop is a ASUS Rog GL503GE with GTX 1050Ti and Intel® Core™ i5-8300H 2.30 GHz to 4.00 GHz 8 MB SmartCache Cores: 4 Threads: 8. I purchased this laptop some 1 year ago.It was running just fine with max 67-70 degree C on some 8 hours of games like Apex Legends.

But suddenly I started getting sudden drop of fps to below 30s and game freezes. I'm now getting a temp upto 90+ degress and it barely goes down below 75C. The fans are active and I tried to reduce processor power management to some 90% which worked well before. But now it doens't work. Hence, I tried undervolting the CPU to -150 mV. Now it doesn't reach 90 but reaches up to 87 which is still bad+ I get fps drops. I want to know if my gpu or cpu is dying. I put all the money I had to buy this. Please help..
1 REPLY 1

sznyoky
Level 8
Hey VampWolf,

Did you clean the laptop and change the thermal past since you have it?

2 years ago my first thing was to undervolt the CPU in my GL503VM and replace the thermal past and pads. My temps were max 80° during high load after, I also disabled Turdbo Boost as it caused FPS drops in CS:GO.
Recently my temps increased, it was about 55-58° in idle so I repasted it and cleaned up the dust from the coolers. It is now 40-45° in idle.
I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Thermal Grizzly Thermo Minus Pad 8 0,5 and 1 mm.

Hope that helps,
Sznyoky