cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heating issue GL502VS (7th gen core i7) - THERMAL THROTTLING, FRAMERATE DROP

Gam3rNa5h
Level 7
I'm reviving this old thread because I've decided to repaste my laptop. I've never done this before so I need some advice from you guys.
I'm planning on using Arctic MX-4 for thermal paste, since it's non-conductive so it won't cause any shorts if I mess up. I've seen some tutorials on youtube. The main doubt I have is whether I can use the same thermal paste for the vram and chipsets around the gpu and cpu, or should I buy separate thermal pads for them. If so, what thickness should I use? I won't overclock since the processor is locked, but I would like to turn turboboost back on. Can I just not repaste the chips and keep the factory paste there itself?
Can anyone who has repasted their GL502VS give me advice, and tell what other stuff I should look out for? Thanks in advance.

ORIGINAL POST:

Hey guys I'm a new member. I joined the forum to post about the problem I am having with my Rog strix gl502vs-ws71 (7th gen intel i7) laptop. I'll write all I know about the issue so you guys can figure out what it is, but if you don't want to read the whole thing then just skip to the bottom. 😛

I bought it around sept 2017 from a microcenter store in NY. It worked smoothly in the initial two months with most games running in max settings without any throttling. After a while i started noticing screen tearing, initially with GTA V and then with others. I tweaked around with the g-sync v-sync settings but couldn't resolve it. After a while it progressed to full on lagging. The frame rates were abysmal, I was getting 15-20 fps. Even turning the graphics to minimum didn't seem to help. I was playing Batman arkham knight at the time and i noticed that the lag wasn't always present, sometimes it ran normally smoothly and at other times the framerate was absolutely horrible. I did a unigine valley benchmark and got an average 21 fps with min 7 😞 . There was also an issue where the laptop automatically went to sleep mode after 20-30 minutes of gaming (i believe this is probably a safety mechanism to prevent overheating and getting the cpu fried). I initially thought it might be a driver issue (my card is gtx 1070 8gb) with the official nvidia drivers installed by geforce experience, so i uninstalled it and then downloaded and installed the OEM VGA driver from the asus site, but it did not help. I even reset the laptop a couple of times and that didn't help either. I then installed intel xtu so i could monitor the temps. I found that the individual cpu cores ( i have 4 physical cores - i7 7th gen) were getting heated up during the benchmarks in the app and while gaming, and thermal throttling was turning on. The gpu was stable at around 70C. I then disabled turbo boost ( actually the disable button was greyed off so i decreased the boost voltage and duration) and undervolted the cpu by around 10 mV i think. Now i am playing forza horizon 3 and ghost recon wildlands. I can play them in high setting without any issues. When playing forza in the highest settings after 15 to 20 minutes the framerate suddenly drops below 20 fps due to throttling ( I've set max fps to 30 in the game settings). GTA V doesn't lag now but screen tearing is still there, I don't know why. My OS is windows 10 v1709 and i have ESET smart security premium antivirus installed. I also set the fan boost to max (4500 rpm) in the rog gaming centre.

So that's most of what I know. Sorry for the long post 😛 . If you read all that then thanks. So basically what I think the problem is that the cpu isn't getting enough cooling, causing heating and then thermal throttling which causes the framerate drop. There doesn't seem to be any problems with the gpu. All i have done now is put a band-aid on the problem so i can continue gaming. I haven't figured out the cause of the heating and this problem wasn't present in the beginning. I read in other threads in the forum about others facing heating issues too. Is this something all Gl502vs laptops have or is my piece faulty? Do you have any idea what is the cause of this problem and how to fix it? Will it get worse over time? Should i send in my laptop to the service center to fix it or get it replaced?
Thanks. 😉
24 REPLIES 24

I'm reviving this old thread because I've decided to repaste my laptop. I've never done this before so I need some advice from you guys.
I'm planning on using Arctic MX-4 for thermal paste, since it's non-conductive so it won't cause any shorts if I mess up. I've seen some tutorials on youtube. The main doubt I have is whether I can use the same thermal paste for the vram and chipsets around the gpu and cpu, or should I buy separate thermal pads for them. If so, what thickness should I use? I won't overclock since the processor is locked, but I would like to turn turboboost back on. Can I just not repaste the chips and keep the factory paste there itself?
Can anyone who has repasted their GL502VS give me advice, and tell what other stuff I should look out for? Thanks in advance.

Posted this again so the thread would come to the front.

Gam3rNa5h wrote:

Posted this again so the thread would come to the front.

You cannot use the same thermal pads, por the VM modules you need an specific thermal compound or maybe thermal pads 1mm and .5mm as I remember

Yokali wrote:
You cannot use the same thermal pads, por the VM modules you need an specific thermal compound or maybe thermal pads 1mm and .5mm as I remember

Which one should I buy, 0.5 or 1mm? Or which thermal grease should I get? K5 Pro isn't available on amazon in my country. What other compound is good? Is it important to use good quality grease for the vram and chipset if I'm not overclocking? Can I use Arctic MX-4 itself for the vram and chipsets?
And what is ISOL 6? Can I use that?

I tried to go down the pad route but wasn't confident in the pressure between the VRM and the heat sink so swapped it all to K5Pro.
I re-done the CPU and GPU with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and the VRM with K5 Pro.
CPU is undervolted by -0.135mV and GPU 1850mhz at 0.950mV.
When playing Battlefield 1 with ultra settings (Frames limited to 60hz to match the display) I'm seeing temperatures of low 60deg sometimes dipping into the high 50's.

michty_me wrote:
I tried to go down the pad route but wasn't confident in the pressure between the VRM and the heat sink so swapped it all to K5Pro.
I re-done the CPU and GPU with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and the VRM with K5 Pro.
CPU is undervolted by -0.135mV and GPU 1850mhz at 0.950mV.
When playing Battlefield 1 with ultra settings (Frames limited to 60hz to match the display) I'm seeing temperatures of low 60deg sometimes dipping into the high 50's.

That's a concern of mine too. If I use thermal pads it might reduce the pressure of the heatsink. K5 Pro isn't available in my country afaik. Can I use MX-4 itself? I saw a youtube video of a guy doing liquid metal repaste for his gl702vs, and he used arctic mx-4 specifically for the vram and chipsets. In another video from a guy called 'Matt Sweeney', he used the same thermal paste for everything; cpu, gpu, vram and chipssets.

Gam3rNa5h wrote:
That's a concern of mine too. If I use thermal pads it might reduce the pressure of the heatsink. K5 Pro isn't available in my country afaik. Can I use MX-4 itself? I saw a youtube video of a guy doing liquid metal repaste for his gl702vs, and he used arctic mx-4 specifically for the vram and chipsets. In another video from a guy called 'Matt Sweeney', he used the same thermal paste for everything; cpu, gpu, vram and chipssets.

I guess you could try it. The reason K5 Pro is recommended is due to the viscosity of it. When a normal paste is heated, It gets a bit more malleable which may cause issues with contacts between the VRM and heatsink.
Which country are you in?

michty_me wrote:
I guess you could try it. The reason K5 Pro is recommended is due to the viscosity of it. When a normal paste is heated, It gets a bit more malleable which may cause issues with contacts between the VRM and heatsink.
Which country are you in?

I'm from India. K5 Pro isn't available on Amazon or other online shopping sites. What about ISOL 6? Is that better to use for the chips than mx4?

Gam3rNa5h wrote:
I'm from India. K5 Pro isn't available on Amazon or other online shopping sites. What about ISOL 6? Is that better to use for the chips than mx4?

I've just had a look and your options are quite limited. You could just use the existing stuff if it isn't dried out then move it to build it up enough for good contact on the heatsink.

I've never heard of ISOL 6 so couldn't comment. There is also something called ascension Thermal Grease Paste for CPU and Chipsets.

Either that or you buy various thickness of pads 1mm, 1.5mm and 2mm.

michty_me wrote:
I've just had a look and your options are quite limited. You could just use the existing stuff if it isn't dried out then move it to build it up enough for good contact on the heatsink.

I've never heard of ISOL 6 so couldn't comment. There is also something called ascension Thermal Grease Paste for CPU and Chipsets.

Either that or you buy various thickness of pads 1mm, 1.5mm and 2mm.

"River Fox Silicone Compounds Thermal Grease Paste ISOL 6 Heat Sink Compound for CPU and Chipsets Graphics Card LED IC (Grey, 30 g) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07VDTTDHR/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_33psEbZ3YT0VJ "

Can i use this? It's also non-conductive.

Gam3rNa5h wrote:
"River Fox Silicone Compounds Thermal Grease Paste ISOL 6 Heat Sink Compound for CPU and Chipsets Graphics Card LED IC (Grey, 30 g) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07VDTTDHR/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_33psEbZ3YT0VJ "

Can i use this? It's also non-conductive.

I don't know. I've never used it or heard of anyone using it.