cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR Support Rog Strix 18 laptop

AL81
Level 7

I just bought the new rog strix 18 laptop with the 240HZ nebula display. I cant figure out how to turn on HDR in games. Works fine with video playback, but not for games. Anyone elsehas this issue? Is it supposed to be this way? The screen is advertised as an HDR screen, so that would surprise me

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dolby Vision HDR is for playing videos only. There is a separate Dolby Vision for games, but that is not listed anywhere. I assume we are getting the video stuff only as the Windows settings suggest. I had a Legion 5 Pro before this one and on that I could just "switch on" HDR mode. That was working for games too. To be fair there isn't a lot of contrast on an IPS screen like this. We would need a nice OLED or miniLED to make HDR really work for its money. It wasn't that visible on the Legion either. (It was just a lot darker overall 😄 )
I am pretty happy with the machine too. 🙂 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Pixelenforcer
Level 8

Hey! It only supports Dolby Vision HDR video. The HDR automatically turns on for videos in certain apps. (Netflix, Prime)

Thank you! So there really is no HDR support in games? Or do some games also have Dolby vision HDR? In windows under HDR options it says it supports HDR video, but not HDR in apps. I even called support about this, ASUS seems to not know themselves, still waiting for customer support to get back to me. I really cannot see anywhere that this is clear under prduct description, and for me very disappointing. Happy with the PC and screen otherwise though

Dolby Vision HDR is for playing videos only. There is a separate Dolby Vision for games, but that is not listed anywhere. I assume we are getting the video stuff only as the Windows settings suggest. I had a Legion 5 Pro before this one and on that I could just "switch on" HDR mode. That was working for games too. To be fair there isn't a lot of contrast on an IPS screen like this. We would need a nice OLED or miniLED to make HDR really work for its money. It wasn't that visible on the Legion either. (It was just a lot darker overall 😄 )
I am pretty happy with the machine too. 🙂