cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphical Issue on GL551JW

cero21
Level 7
While playing League of Legends on my Asus ROG GL551JW on Windows 10 I get a strange graphical glitch thingy http://i.imgur.com/7fycIdE.jpg. I've tried reinstalling Intel HD and Nvidia drivers (in that order) and I'm on the latest drivers for both (to my knowledge at least). It doesnt happen very consistently, sometimes I can go through multiple games without it showing up, other times it flashes pretty constantly, and as far as I can remember it doesnt happen when I play more graphically demanding games like MGSV or Assassin's Creed Syndicate, it did happen in at least one other game, although I cant remember which, but its most prevalent in LoL. I know its not a heat related issue either because I cant seem to see any link between the heat of the laptop and its occurrence. I've read online in other forums of a few other people having a similar issues but no answers, so Im not sure if they had their issues dealt with or not. Im not sure if its a graphics card issue, driver or vram.
Any more info needed to help I would be happy to provide.
9 REPLIES 9

Dreamonic
Level 12
Hey,

So I've read your post and obviously before I had finished I too had come to the conclusion that it looks to be the GPU, but the way memory or core graphical artifacts look, does not appear the way in your picture, in that they are not patterned!

Now yes, it could STILL be related to the card as not having constant voltage or corrupted memory ICs. Sometimes you get a bad batch and you are welcomed into warranty repair for these kinds of unforeseen occurrences. However, I'm not likely to believe it to be a driver issue, although every ROG system has it's own set of quirks with software, this does not look to be one of them.

So what could it be?

I believe it could very well be related to faulty power delivery, either through the display itself or MB, specifically, the DC power jack. You can test this on battery only (AC adapter unplugged) gaming like in LoL because it was prevalent before with the AC adapter plugged in. Regardless of the lower FPS, test this theory out and report back to me.

Notes: You can also do another test. Using an HDMI cable, connect to an external monitor or even TV and within a given duration of gaming, see if any artifacts appear here as well.

Additional Notes: It occurred to me to check the latest BIOS for your system on the ASUS support site for your model. What version of BIOS is your system using? There happens to be a 204 system BIOS that's listed. It apparently updates the vBIOS for your 960M, which may very well address the artifacts you're seeing. Please backup everything you have to an external drive before flashing it as some systems don't power back on afterwards and if your personal files are still there, with no means to back them up using another PC, it'll make your scenario more stressful than needs to be.

Dreamonic wrote:
Hey,

So I've read your post and obviously before I had finished I too had come to the conclusion that it looks to be the GPU, but the way memory or core graphical artifacts look, does not appear the way in your picture, in that they are not patterned!

Now yes, it could STILL be related to the card as not having constant voltage or corrupted memory ICs. Sometimes you get a bad batch and you are welcomed into warranty repair for these kinds of unforeseen occurrences. However, I'm not likely to believe it to be a driver issue, although every ROG system has it's own set of quirks with software, this does not look to be one of them.

So what could it be?

I believe it could very well be related to faulty power delivery, either through the display itself or MB, specifically, the DC power jack. You can test this on battery only (AC adapter unplugged) gaming like in LoL because it was prevalent before with the AC adapter plugged in. Regardless of the lower FPS, test this theory out and report back to me.

Notes: You can also do another test. Using an HDMI cable, connect to an external monitor or even TV and within a given duration of gaming, see if any artifacts appear here as well.

Additional Notes: It occurred to me to check the latest BIOS for your system on the ASUS support site for your model. What version of BIOS is your system using? There happens to be a 204 system BIOS that's listed. It apparently updates the vBIOS for your 960M, which may very well address the artifacts you're seeing. Please backup everything you have to an external drive before flashing it as some systems don't power back on afterwards and if your personal files are still there, with no means to back them up using another PC, it'll make your scenario more stressful than needs to be.

Hey, thanks a lot for your reply. I will do both tests, running it on battery only and through HDMI cable and see if the artifacts still exist. I will have to test it extensively since they appear inconsistently. Sometimes they appear every game and others I can go days or even weeks without seeing them at all.

I will also try to update my vBIOS, could you tell me how? I've downloaded the file you suggested, but all the guides I've seen online seem a little outdated.

UPDATE: Found a vBios update guide in these forums that looks legit, will try it
Should I install any of the other BIOS updates found on that page as well?

Ok so i tried using it without AC power and the artifacts are still present flashing on screen, both with and without it.
Also I tried updating the vBios with the version u mentioned and it seems to have been successful, but no changes.
Its been recommended that I rma but I bought it on amazon warehouse so Im not sure if that would be possible for me, plus I live in the Caribbean and shipping to US, while not a hastle, is a bit inconvenient for me, but if its the only option to fix this I guess I will have to do it.

Hi there, sorry to jump in this thread. I have read you used to have a site but down now. Im interested to have a private chat if i can email.

thanks

Dreamonic
Level 12
After everything you've attempted and still no resolve... it's hardware then (unfortunately).

You mention Amazon Warehouse. This paints the picture now since the item could have been a bad refurbished model, even if you got it for a good price! I don't really know your options here with that new knowledge on the warranty thing other than you should contact cl-Albert about it here.

Is the Amazon return policy over?

cero21
Level 7
Thats probably my worst fear being confirmed 😕

Yeah its over, when I contacted them about returning it they recommended I contact Asus.

I know laptop parts arent as modular as pc parts, but is their any chance that the hardware can be replaced by someone working at a pc repair place?

Thanks for your help thus far, I really appreciate it.

cero21 wrote:

Yeah its over, when I contacted them about returning it they recommended I contact Asus.

I know laptop parts arent as modular as pc parts, but is their any chance that the hardware can be replaced by someone working at a pc repair place?

Well, able yes, any computer shop that can unassembled a laptop can repair it. The problem is since the GPU and CPU are soldered to the MB, the price you are going to pay for a new part is heavy, since it will be a MB with CPU and GPU, not only the GPU part.

Since it's an Amazon Refurbished Notebook, didn't you have warranty for it? If yes then send to them. The price you gonna pay from your own pocket is too big to even consider it.

cero21 wrote:

On Amazon it says and I quote, "Do products come with a warranty? No. Used products generally do not come with a manufacturer's warranty but all of our items are backed by Amazon’s return policy ..."

So the Amazon return policy is up, okay. Have you tried to contact ASUS like they recommend though? It's worth noting that at this point, regardless of what answer you think they might give you, you can't objectively know the outcome and pursue other options if you haven't tried them yet. Shoot them an email and find out! After all, this is your system that you spent money on. Investigate!

Yes, the MB can be changed out at most repair shops no problem, should you be able to acquire one in the first place. As Black Phoenix pointed out, the GPU/CPU is of a BGA soldered connection to the Main PCB, they cannot be separately purchased or replaced like in other notebooks with CPU and MXM slots. This means for you, acquiring another MB, which will be hard to come by (various sites) and also be very costly on top of that.

Right now, best bet is to contact ASUS and go from there.

Dreamonic
Level 12
cero21 wrote:

On Amazon it says and I quote, "Do products come with a warranty? No. Used products generally do not come with a manufacturer's warranty but all of our items are backed by Amazon’s return policy ..."

So the Amazon return policy is up, okay. Have you tried to contact ASUS like they recommend though? It's worth noting that at this point, regardless of what answer you think they might give you, you can't objectively know the outcome and pursue other options if you haven't tried them yet. Shoot them an email and find out! After all, this is your system that you spent money on. Investigate!

Yes, the MB can be changed out at most repair shops no problem, should you be able to acquire one in the first place. As Black Phoenix pointed out, the GPU/CPU is of a BGA soldered connection to the Main PCB, they cannot be separately purchased or replaced like in other notebooks with CPU and MXM slots. This means for you, acquiring another MB, which will be hard to come by (various sites) and also be very costly on top of that.

Right now, best bet is to contact ASUS and go from there.

I wish you the best of luck!