cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL753VE Laptop cannot launch Linux Install or normal boot Linux Kernel. [solved]

Daniel_zabojca
Level 7
Dear community,

I come here with a call for help, since I cannot find a solution for a problem that I have, and its annoying the hell out of me.

I also do not know if this is the right board where I can post this thread, so I apologize in advance if I post this in a wrong thread.

The problem is not so simple it seems, for it happens when I boot a USB or CD with a Linux system that I want to install on a drive that I have bought and included in the laptop.

The drive is a M2 SSD EVO (Link : http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-850-evo-m-2-250gb-mz-n5e25... )

I have updated the firmware to the newest version, which is EMT21B6Q , and I updated the bios version of the model GL753 to Version 303, which is the newest version with the WinFlash program.

I have Included a picture of the error that appears whenever I boot from USB or CD and try to launch Linux Ubuntu without installing, or when I try to Install it OR when I diagnose the drive and check for errors.

I am getting totally clueless about that error, and I am hoping that someone can shine some hope and light upon these dark times that are upon me.

Thank you all in advance and have a nice day,

Daniel Nowak Janssen.
8 REPLIES 8

Yokali
Level 7
I'm not an expert installing Linux but i managed to install Ubuntu on my gl502vs, the problems I had were about booting on secure mode, the SSD and the Nvidia Driver. To achieve my installation I had to disable booting on secure mode, I installed Ubuntu on my HDD, I would recommend you to always look for the newest version of the OS you try to use, compatibility is not always present

The secure boot settings is one thing. Also you need to have only the m.2 drive installed. No other hdd while installing. This is also a uefi bios if you are not familiar. It can be done.

Illicittweakin wrote:
The secure boot settings is one thing. Also you need to have only the m.2 drive installed. No other hdd while installing. This is also a uefi bios if you are not familiar. It can be done.

So how can I proceed?

Can I open the laptop without destroying my guarantee of the laptop?
Because I am afraid to screw it open because I will lose my guarantee, and its a new laptop, so I do not want to screw it up.
Also how can I change it in the bios? Which settings should I change/disable? I am unfamiliar with this bios, and I kinda do not wat to disable some settings.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Have a nice day,

Daniel Nowak Janssen,

Not much settings in these bios. not much you could screw up.
Go into advanced settings in bios. Then secure boot Then key management. Save the keys if you like then clear secure boot keys. Go back and make sure it says secure boot disabled. You could try that but I have always had to remove the other drive in the past. To do that you have to unscrew and open it up. I would try and get Linux installed with uefi, you would use rufus or something for that.

As far as opening and warranty I can't answer that I don't work for Asus. Be careful though the little plastic tabs can beak easy, It doesn't really matter if they do though the screws hold it.

Illicittweakin wrote:
Not much settings in these bios. not much you could screw up.
Go into advanced settings in bios. Then secure boot Then key management. Save the keys if you like then clear secure boot keys. Go back and make sure it says secure boot disabled. You could try that but I have always had to remove the other drive in the past. To do that you have to unscrew and open it up. I would try and get Linux installed with uefi, you would use rufus or something for that.

As far as opening and warranty I can't answer that I don't work for Asus. Be careful though the little plastic tabs can beak easy, It doesn't really matter if they do though the screws hold it.

Okay, so I did as you instructed, and removed the SSD, changed all the bios settings to the correct thing (disabled quick boot, secure boot etc) and now this happens (look at the images), It either shows me the error when I check the disk for errors, or when I press the install function it shows me the ubuntu loading, and then freezes at a certain point.

So I tried with another drive, a 32 gig USB 3, still the same, I tried it with my 250 Evo portable SSD, still the same, I even downloaded it as a different variant, (17.4 Linux) still the same.

My bios, CPU and GPU drivers are updated to the most recent version, so I am starting to become clueless again.

My SSD M.2 IS view-able in windows, and I even formatted it again to see if that fixes it, but still it throws me the same screen(s).

I hope there is something else that I can do in order to fix it...

Anyway thanks for the help again!

Daniel

Hello,

I found a fix to this problem.
When booting from an usb to install or trying it without installing or something else, pressing e in the boot menu to edit the boot options and adding "nomodeset" to the end of the kernel line seemed to fix the problem.

So disable quick boot, Secure boot manager etc, and then when booting from your USB drive (or other drive with a Linux installation ISO) press E and add nomodeset on the end of the kernel line.

You do NOT need to screw open the laptop and take out one disk if you have 2, and one of them has already a windows/linux installation installed on it!

Again, thank you all for helping me fixing this problem (and possibly helpen a lot of other people that have/ will have this problem)

Have a nice day Everybody,

Daniel.

@Daniel_zabojca: did you get anywhere with linux on this laptop model?

01001 wrote:
@Daniel_zabojca: did you get anywhere with linux on this laptop model?

Yeah, I installed the Ubuntu 18 version on it today! Its still the method I mentioned in the post above yours, so nothing has changed.
I used Ubuntu 16.04 for a while (a year) and It did not crash, or cause other kind of hiatus even though I had Windows 10 Professional installed on the other SSD, and I used that one often too.

Only bug that I found was that If I use windows the time that is displayed in Linux will not be correct, and I have to set it to the correct time zone and time again manually.

Sorry for the (very) late reply, but It works like a charm on my M.2