cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL731GW Memory upgrade

Stefan_Deotsche
Level 7
I apologize if this question has been asked before. I didn't find a good answer. I have 16GB of memory and I want to upgrade to 32GB. I checked with Crucial customer support and they confirmed that the memory I have is compatible with my Strix laptop GL731GW-H6161T.

When I replace the memory and start the laptop nothing happens and I have a black screen. I put the old memory back and everything works fine. I also put a Harddrive into the drive bay and that works fine as well.

What are the steps to get the new memory recognized. People suggest to take out the battery but that can't be a good solution. Thanks for any advise.
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
It would just work. Might be you have a bad kit, something wrong with one of your slots, or the memory controller on that CPU is just a bit weak. The kit you bought has 2 modules? Try installing just one module to see what happens. You can also try each of the slots separately. Trying different combinations will help you narrow things down.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Triton_se
Level 8
If you have an external monitor hooked up, memory changes can cause no picture on both monitors (happened to me), in that case unplug the external monitor, boot up your laptop, plug in your external monitor in Windows and done 🙂

Also I'd double check your current working RAM speed in CPU-Z, are they same MHz as the new RAM?

Thanks guys, I'll try to put the memory in one by one, see if one of them is faulty. I don't have a 2nd monitor attached at the moment. And yes - the memory has exactly the same frequency as the old one. 2 modules of 16GB DDR4 - 2666.

I have a zoom meeting later today and I'll do the tests after it. I don't want to end up with the laptop not working. I post how it went. Thanks.

It works now. I put in the memory modules one by one and it booted fine. Maybe it was caused by the fact that I put in a new HDD and new memory at the same time before. Or maybe I just didn't put them in proper the first time.

xeromist
Thanks for letting us know. Sometimes reseating helps. 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…