cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL704GW - bent heatsink from FACTORY

HenryTheTech
Level 7
So on my GL704GW, I decided to change from the garbage factory thermal paste to something better (to help with the ridiculous thermal performance), and upon flipping over the heat sink I discover one of the arms had a dent on the underside.

My question is simple, where I can I get this replacement heatsink? I cannot find anything so far...

This is the sticker on the heatsink but I havent found anything by searching its numbers

9 REPLIES 9

xeromist
I would change the paste and run some tests. If it's just cosmetic and not actually impacting performance then I don't see a reason to change it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I would change the paste and run some tests. If it's just cosmetic and not actually impacting performance then I don't see a reason to change it.

Already done with Liquid Metal conductonaut... I can keep my CPU below 90 but my GPU hits 80 and causes throttling when playing Apex. Very annoying 😞

HenryTheTech wrote:
Already done with Liquid Metal conductonaut... I can keep my CPU below 90 but my GPU hits 80 and causes throttling when playing Apex. Very annoying 😞

How much throttling though? With a laptop you're always going to hit either power or thermal limits due to the form factor. It's a concern if it's excessive compared to other similar examples though.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
How much throttling though? With a laptop you're always going to hit either power or thermal limits due to the form factor. It's a concern if it's excessive compared to other similar examples though.

When my GPU was hitting 80, I would get a FPS drop from 140 to 40 in Apex Legends, creating a terrible stutter situation. I have since repasted with conductonaut again, and reinstalled windows from scratch. Thus far I haven't had any throttling (max temp has remained 79). So we will see...

I also use a cooling pad and have just ordered this item https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NACVLWM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , (basically a heat ejector for the side vent)

I feel angry though as my cooling scheme was sabotaged from the get-go with this bent heatsink vent. Whatever the effect is, it will restrict airflow and thus reduce the cooling capability to some degree, and I have no recourse to even fix at this point.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
It's going to be kinda hard to find a replacement since it's a new model. In a few months you should see them popping up on aliexpress.
Replace the thermal paste since you're already at it. Can't really tell just by looking at the picture but the heat pipe is only dented or pinched? If it's only a dent I don't think it would affect cooling performance.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
It's going to be kinda hard to find a replacement since it's a new model. In a few months you should see them popping up on aliexpress.
Replace the thermal paste since you're already at it. Can't really tell just by looking at the picture but the heat pipe is only dented or pinched? If it's only a dent I don't think it would affect cooling performance.

Its best described as a pinch, not completely restrictive but no doubt impedes airflow, which given how much heat these units throw, isn't good.

HenryTheTech wrote:
Its best described as a pinch, not completely restrictive but no doubt impedes airflow, which given how much heat these units throw, isn't good.

Air doesn't flow through those pipes. It's just a liquid vapor that travels from one end to the other when the pipe heats up and cools down, basically.
If it's not totally pinched, it should be fine.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Air doesn't flow through those pipes. It's just a liquid vapor that travels from one end to the other when the pipe heats up and cools down, basically.
If it's not totally pinched, it should be fine.

Wow, interesting. Good to know. I actually think I have discovered something else which has totally cured my FPS throttling problem. I am going to continue to monitor as I play Apex as testing.

HenryTheTech wrote:
Wow, interesting. Good to know. I actually think I have discovered something else which has totally cured my FPS throttling problem. I am going to continue to monitor as I play Apex as testing.

it would be helpful if you share it with us, thanks.