cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL704GW Bad repasting from asus or ... ?

odavl123
Level 7
Hello everyone!

So i bought a brand new Asus Rog GL704GW a few weeks ago, beast to be honest!
But after using it just for about a week or so, i saw a few problems. SSHD was making noises like HDDs from 15 years ago and it was slow, Wi-Fi had bad connection and the worst of all was the temps.! I mean they got high as of 99°c for playing GTA5.

Laptop went back to warranty for fixing, and they did manage to fix SSHD and Wi-Fi, but thermals are worse than before!
You can see by the pics what happens after 9 min of Aida64 stress test.
So if anyone can please advice me what to do, because i dont see the point of waiting again 2 weeks for warranty repair, for the same results!

Best regards!
6 REPLIES 6

KhuloodF
Level 9
odavl123 wrote:
Hello everyone!

So i bought a brand new Asus Rog GL704GW a few weeks ago, beast to be honest!
But after using it just for about a week or so, i saw a few problems. SSHD was making noises like HDDs from 15 years ago and it was slow, Wi-Fi had bad connection and the worst of all was the temps.! I mean they got high as of 99°c for playing GTA5.

Laptop went back to warranty for fixing, and they did manage to fix SSHD and Wi-Fi, but thermals are worse than before!
You can see by the pics what happens after 9 min of Aida64 stress test.
So if anyone can please advice me what to do, because i dont see the point of waiting again 2 weeks for warranty repair, for the same resaults!

Best regards!

I think these laptops run hot by nature....although 99 seems insane. Have you tried undervolting with Throttlestop? I have undervolted my CPU/CPU Cache to -102mV (although I'm lucky, most can't go past 90), and my temps on highest settings on BF5 hover at max around mid 80s.

I highly suggest doing this, you have nothing to lose. Find the most you can undervolt without losing instability. There are plenty of youtube videos about how to undervolt w/ Throttlestop. Again, most tutorials hit -125mV, but I noticed the chips on these ROGs really can't go past 105ish, max.

OK!

So did undervolt to -65mV, which is max for my cpu, and these are the results.
I did stress test with GPU checked, as you can see from the picture.
Its not a long test i know, but no point of going on for 10 min.

hexaae
Level 12
Occasional spike to 90+ are normal behaviour with these ROGs.
Don't trust those who write they never pass 80-84°C, this might be true only if they play lite games (Overwatch etc.). In that case with some games low temps around 76-82°C are perfectly normal. There are much more demanding games though… e,g. the Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark etc. Try these 2-3 times in a row and you'll easily see spikes of 92-96°C.

In particular AIDA64 stress test on most of these laptops with i7-8750H (apart a few very lucky users) very often reaches spikes of 92+ but the important thing is that are just spikes, and then the processor sets a lower power consumption limit reducing MHz and temp... e.g. run AIDA64 stress test, in the first seconds can reach up to 96°C then lowers the clock and stabilizes also the temps (e.g. 3300Mhz, max 84°C constantly). This is normal and is ok with these laptops.
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

So, yesterday i did a few more runs of metro and some stress tests, and temps. are lower than the first day i got laptop back.
I gues the paste had to settle in or something, becous now in stress test it dosent exceed on any core above 96°c and also it dosent differ from core to core for more than 5°c!
Happy?
Yes i am! 😄
Thx for keeping up with my shenanigans!

shaifulrizhuan
Level 7
I just done repaste with Conductonaut moments ago. Straight away ran RealBench. Surprisingly max temp hovering around 83C. Core 2 spiked triggering throttle only once. Most of the time only between 80-85. Previously all core were throttled most of the time the RealBench running. Btw, I downvolted to -72

shaifulrizhuan
Level 7
Run RealBench for few more times. Never throttle anymore.