Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL704GM Performance Problems

TheAlphaOmega1
Level 7
My rig:
Asus ROG Strix Scar II GL704GM and it packs -
CPU: i7 8750H 2.20 GHz - 3.9 GHz
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB (+ Integrated Intel HD 630 that comes with CPU)
RAM: 16 GB 2666 MHz Single Channel
256 NVMe SSD + 1 TB 5400 rpm HDD

The problem is that my performance seems to be limited by something.
I am trying to record and play some games and my FPS seems to be dropping on some loaded scenes. Ok, understandable, GPU might not be handling it, so I decided to check it out.
Using MSI Afterburner I enabled the overlay with the information needed and went back to the same scenario where I had FPS drops to see the load of all the components and to my surprise I find this:

So basically, neither of my GPUs is 100% loaded and yet nor even my CPU, yet I am still not having consistent performance.
Any ideas what might be the problem?
3 REPLIES 3

KhuloodF
Level 9
TheAlphaOmega1 wrote:
My rig:
Asus ROG Strix Scar II GL704GM and it packs -
CPU: i7 8750H 2.20 GHz - 3.9 GHz
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB (+ Integrated Intel HD 630 that comes with CPU)
RAM: 16 GB 2666 MHz Single Channel
256 NVMe SSD + 1 TB 5400 rpm HDD

The problem is that my performance seems to be limited by something.
I am trying to record and play some games and my FPS seems to be dropping on some loaded scenes. Ok, understandable, GPU might not be handling it, so I decided to check it out.
Using MSI Afterburner I enabled the overlay with the information needed and went back to the same scenario where I had FPS drops to see the load of all the components and to my surprise I find this:

So basically, neither of my GPUs is 100% loaded and yet nor even my CPU, yet I am still not having consistent performance.
Any ideas what might be the problem?

You are running single channel RAM. Even if you're not using all of it, most games are designed to run dual channel ram so you can process 2x the data faster. I added a second 16 gb stick from crucial (no BIOS editing needed, just plug and play) and my performance increased a lot (temps will also increase by 2-3 degrees, FYI).

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/gl704gw-%28scar-ii%29/CT14235161

I understand the reasoning behind upgrading RAM to Dual Channel, yet it still doesn't explain why I have FPS drops when my Temps are pretty good and neither of my GPUs are loaded.

I own an ASUS GL504 Hero 2, and for me, MSI Afterburner was causing FPS drops and performance issues.
I did a clean install never installed MSI Afterburner, and got performance increase. Now while I think I still dont have the proper performance for the specs, I'm in a better place.

Something you can also do is go to the nvidia settings and make it so that the game is forced to use the GPU while running