cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL704G - Where can I buy replacement keys?

Pretzel
Level 7
One of my keys has a broken latch and keeps coming off. Thankfully (and strangely) it is not a key I use often, if at all.

I searched online (web, amazon, ebay) but I couldn't find replacement keys for my laptop.

Anyone has a clue?
Thank you.
9 REPLIES 9

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
I guess it would be easier to just replace the keyboard. You can find it on ebay and aliexpress. You could use the key you need from the new keyboard or replace the old one and keep it as a spare.

So to help others I just found a source, rather overpiced but in lieu of other options...

https://www.quikfixlaptopkeys.com/?product=asus-rog-strix-scar-ii-gl504-single-replacement-keyboard-...

Please provide any links you may find with other sources, Thanks.

good, and great that you shared! +1

Pretzel wrote:
So to help others I just found a source, rather overpiced but in lieu of other options...

https://www.quikfixlaptopkeys.com/?product=asus-rog-strix-scar-ii-gl504-single-replacement-keyboard-...

Please provide any links you may find with other sources, Thanks.

Way too expensive for a single key. You can get an entire keyboard for 50 bucks, free shipping.

Just search for "GL704 keyboard" on ebay or aliexpress.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
Way too expensive for a single key. You can get an entire keyboard for 50 bucks, free shipping.

Just search for "GL704 keyboard" on ebay or aliexpress.

he wants one key. let him buy one key for 15 and not the whole keyboard for 50.

Tor_Spo wrote:
he wants one key. let him buy one key for 15 and not the whole keyboard for 50.

Makes no sense whatsoever, but to each their own.

Pretzel
Level 7
I would, but I have found no keyboard either. Do you have any links to a location (not ebay) where I can find one?

I know in theory these should be available, for my Lenovo and Acer I find them all the time and in one case even several years after the machine was launched. But in reality they seem nowhere to be found not even in Asus spare part partners.

Also it is not easier. A new key just clicks in.
For a new keyboard I would have to open the machine all the way to its last bit.

Pretzel
Level 7
I agree with the expensive point. Sadly there is no "good" solution here.

I contacted ASUS and they are willing to replace the whole keyboard, (the machine is still under warranty) but since I use this for work, I can't send my machine out for 10 days.

Their policy is a bit excessive in this case, and they lose more money this way. Bad for the customer, and Asus.
(Either by reduced loyalty if they do not offer a suitable solution or by increased cost over something trivial if they do replace it.)

Buying the whole keyboard is definitely better Value since it will allow me to replace any key or the entire keyboard in the future. But it increases the already exorbitant cost for the repair almost x3. Definitely not a good solution there in this case.

ASUS could tell me to wait for a day or two, simply look with their service team and see if there is a spare key to send out from a replaced keyboard. Fast, easy cheap.This would be fine for me too. That would be good service and would make the customer happy. But they don't do this.

Pretzel wrote:
I agree with the expensive point. Sadly there is no "good" solution here.

I contacted ASUS and they are willing to replace the whole keyboard, (the machine is still under warranty) but since I use this for work, I can't send my machine out for 10 days.

Their policy is a bit excessive in this case, and they lose more money this way. Bad for the customer, and Asus.
(Either by reduced loyalty if they do not offer a suitable solution or by increased cost over something trivial if they do replace it.)

Buying the whole keyboard is definitely better Value since it will allow me to replace any key or the entire keyboard in the future. But it increases the already exorbitant cost for the repair almost x3. Definitely not a good solution there in this case.

ASUS could tell me to wait for a day or two, simply look with their service team and see if there is a spare key to send out from a replaced keyboard. Fast, easy cheap.This would be fine for me too. That would be good service and would make the customer happy. But they don't do this.

what key did you broke? mby just use another key to replace it (key that you don't need so often and it's the same size as the key you need)