cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL704G - How do I turn off the Automatic power mode switch?

Pretzel
Level 7
This "feature" idea of mode (power mode or other) switching automatically is very problematic.

The device should not be changing power modes and who knows what else on its own.

i.e. when i plug in a VR headset or start using a development tool with VR features, the device changes mode. The screen changes brightness, the lighting of the machine switches to a different style or off...

This is problematic. How can I stop this from happening?
No device I ever had in the past from Asus or other behaved in this way.
4 REPLIES 4

Tor_Spo
Level 8
Pretzel wrote:
This "feature" idea of mode (power mode or other) switching automatically is very problematic.

The device should not be changing power modes and who knows what else on its own.

i.e. when i plug in a VR headset or start using a development tool with VR features, the device changes mode. The screen changes brightness, the lighting of the machine switches to a different style or off...

This is problematic. How can I stop this from happening?
No device I ever had in the past from Asus or other behaved in this way.

are you talking about windows power plan ? or usb power savings, you can disable those through device manager

your power plan

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-turning-usb-devices

or device manager

https://www.top-password.com/blog/tag/windows-disable-usb-power-saving/

Hope this helps.

Tor_Spo wrote:

Hope this helps.

Thanks but no, I am not talking about this.
I am talking about Asus having designed ROG Strix is a way that it arbitrarily changes the power plan depending on certain criteria that are counter-intuitive and lacks transparency and ways to manage it via an option.

GL704G changes plans (and other things) based on the status of our machine and what hardware we have attached, which is an undesirable feature and creates problems under certain use cases.

The device should ONLY change power plan depending on the plugged-unplugged status like most devices do. That is the standard Laptop behavior. I understand this may be considered to be "more fun" perhaps or maybe it was considered to help according to some, but it is problematic for others.

It can be both confusing, and in some cases irritating (i.e. I have a subtle effect on my Aura settings and while on standby my machine becomes a Christmas tree) and even problematic. (i.e. while developing an application and I preview in VR or not VR the power mode (and other modes) changes which makes me unsure of the hardware I am using at a time and whether my application performs as it should or if any problems I may be seeing are based on the automatic plan switch.)

gieffe22
Level 7
i have a 704gw andhonestly never saw this changes...yes in armoury there's a section to automatize such things but if you never used the modes never changes itself, the only way to do manually (and normally) is pressing fn+f5

Pretzel
Level 7
Perhaps you are not using the machine in the same way as I do.

Are you using VR and are you developing games on it?
It happens all the time, and I know it is not a bug or hardware or Windows related. Initially I thought there was something wrong with my machine, but no. It's "by design".

I have disabled stand by because there was no obvious way to alter the behavior of the Aura features when it goes into that mode.