cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703VM Crazy temperature over 100°C

giovanni82m
Level 9
Hi!
Lately my notebook temperature is going crazy.
Asus GL703VM
Intel i7-7700HQ
ASUS GTX 1060

Yesterday in game the CPU reached 100°C! And the GPU 88°C
But also if I'm doing simply things (like now, just writing here) sometimes the CPU reach over 90°C.

I don't know if there is also some software issues, and I'm thinking if I need also to format, but probably i need to repaste in any case.
I put the maximium of my CPU at 99%
I undervolted with intel XTU -0.140
but nothing changed, if i do the stress test it is ok, but in game I have always 98/99°C
I have a cooling pad but is useless.

I never really cleaned or repasted, so it's time to do it.
I did with old PC and a old laptop that had GPU problems, so I was not afraid, but now this is important laptop 😉

I still have the paste I used
ARCTIC MX-4 2019 edition
and a small
Thermal pad 50x50x1mm (i used a little bit of it)
But now I'm wondering, would be better to use liquid metal?

In some video i saw they used liquid metal on CPU and GPU and applied some tape to protect the small components around it (i have some black electric tape, is it ok?)
and the thermal pad on other components (but I think i have few of that 😞

It is safe? There is not alluminium in my laptop, right?

The point is that the temperature are really high
And I hope I could decrease a lot the temperature.

Thank you :cool:
5 REPLIES 5

Clintlgm
Level 14
I would avoid Liquid metal unless your expert with applications you can destroy your motherboard with this stuff. Seems from the multiple forums I participate in that Kryonaut seems to be the most effective paste for notebooks.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
I would avoid Liquid metal unless your expert with applications you can destroy your motherboard with this stuff. Seems from the multiple forums I participate in that Kryonaut seems to be the most effective paste for notebooks.

I know of course that I need to be very careful.
But i'd like to have big improvement since i need to open the laptop.
99% CPU, Undervolt and cooling pad did nothing...

How many degree can i decrease with kryonaut?
I'm scared that using normal thermal past can give me just few degree and go from 100°C to 95°C or even 90°C it doesn't look to me a big upgrade.
It's always in "dangerous zone"

I'm looking many videos online.
They use also nail polish with liquid metal. But how can i know if there are electrical conductor inside? I heard that sometime it could happens

In videos online they said also that liquid metal can ruin also copper also if slower than alluminium.

I have a similar laptop Asus GL702VS with GTX 1070

I have never seen 100c but is a hot laptop. I tried both liquid metal and high quality paste the difference was not that much. I would personally recommend a high quality paste, you will see amazing results if you still have factory past.

giovanni82m wrote:
I know of course that I need to be very careful.
But i'd like to have big improvement since i need to open the laptop.
99% CPU, Undervolt and cooling pad did nothing...

How many degree can i decrease with kryonaut?
I'm scared that using normal thermal past can give me just few degree and go from 100°C to 95°C or even 90°C it doesn't look to me a big upgrade.
It's always in "dangerous zone"

I'm looking many videos online.
They use also nail polish with liquid metal. But how can i know if there are electrical conductor inside? I heard that sometime it could happens

In videos online they said also that liquid metal can ruin also copper also if slower than alluminium.

As a non expert working with Liquid Metal use at your own risk you have been warned.
Sounds like your factory paste has failed and possible your heatsink are not making 100% contact when have the heat sinks removed have a good look at how they sit on your CPU GPU they should sit 100% flat on both CPU and GPU Have a good look at this. kryonaut seems to be the best safe paste and is quite effective for most experienced user across brands.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Ok. So for now I'll try normal paste and see how is going.

In some video I saw that they put paste on CPU and GPU and thermal pads on other components.
What you suggest to do?
Because I don't have enought thermal pad and I'm wondering if buy it or use it normal thermal paste instead.