cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gl703gs bios 310

Sayid_Jarah
Level 7
Hello i was wondering if someone could help me out and help me locate BIOS 310 for this laptop (the last BIOS that supports Undervolt for 8th Gen Intel)

Asus have pulled this from their site and the laptop is a toaster without throttlestop.

If somone can send me it id be ever so greatful thank you.
CURRENT ASUS ITEMS I OWN:
-ASUS ROG SWIFT GSYNC MONITOR
-ASUS GL703GS gtx 1070 laptop
-ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO III ROG MOBO

PREVIOUSLY OWNED ITEMS:
G750JX ROG LAPTOP
p8z68v-pro
-ASUS STRIKER EXTREME II
-G751JT ROG LAPTOP
-ASUS MAXIMUS HERO II ROG
-ASUS STRIX GTX 970

20 REPLIES 20

hexaae wrote:
Read above. Probably the best procedure is:
1. disable Device Manager: Firmware > System Firmware. Or RMB and choose Properties, Rollback driver option + disable System Firmware (from menu select View > Hidden devices if you need...).
2. after you put 'GL703GS-AS.310' in C:\ root, reboot, enter the BIOS (keep F2 pressed) and enter the flash section of BIOS and proceed manually choosing from C:\GL703GS-AS.310 BIOS file...
I think it's better to (rollback in case and) disable System Firmware BEFORE you proceed, since I've read many users saying that Win is quite fast to find and re-install in background the new BIOS after your first reboot with the old 310.
Am I right @barko?

You are right. Anyway, my laptop is still with this procedure on same bios version, no forced updates for now. I rebooted laptop few times, I checked for updates of windows. All ok. And of course, ThrottleStop is working as expected.

matau
Level 9
Does "C:\ root" mean just to place the file in C:\?
Also are there any risks when downgrading the bios?
Does every gl703gs has the flashing section in BIOS? I am asking because I watched few videos how to downgrade bios and people were using different software with USB drives.

hexaae
Level 12
Yes, C:\ is the root.
No risk of incompatibility. The only risk is to "brick" PC when flashing badly fails (a very remote situation experienced by 0,01% of users).
Yes enter the EZ Flash section of the BIOS...
[Notebook] How to update BIOS with EZ Flash | Official Support | ASUS Global

P.S.: ASUS BIOS should still have a safe recovery for the previous BIOS image, or you can try removing the battery for a few seconds if everything fails... It should automatically rollback to default BIOS.
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

Thank you so much for the detailed information. I will definitely downgrade it back to 310.

hexaae
Level 12
Just edited my msg #8 adding the hint to prepare a USB pendrive with the BIOS file in it, because EZ Flash from BIOS may not be able to access internal disk (Windows) partitions.
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae
Level 12
Just succeeded and rolled back to BIOS 310 with undervolt enabled.

0. prepared a pendrive with the file 'GL703GS-AS.310' in it.
1. Rolled back from Device Manager: Firmware > System Firmware (choosing when asked: "Previous driver had better performance"). Then disabled it too:

2. rebooted Windows and kept pressed F2 to access BIOS (while keeping pendrive in USB port), entered Advanced BIOS menu mode, EZ Flash... selected 'fs1:\GL703GS-AS.310' and proceeded.
Everything went fine and I'm back to BIOS 310 with undervolt enabled. Windows didn't complain about old BIOS and didn't propose 314 update anymore. Everybody happy 😉
--

You can use WinFlash, create shortcut on desktop to it, edit shortcut and put after "...winflash.exe" /nodate
After you start winflash with that shortcut, take your old bios file, reboot, bios is updated automatically. This is another way of upgrading/downgrading bios.

hexaae
Level 12
A useful guide to disable updates of a specific device driver (could be used for the System Firmware): Prevent Windows Update from Updating Specific Device Driver | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

EDIT: tested and not recommended since will leave an unknown device in Device Manager under Other devices anyway
--

hexaae
Level 12
@ALL
Is Intel SGX still working for you with BIOS 314 or after rolling back to BIOS 310?
Please test with CyberLink Blu-ray Disc Support (free just to see if SGX is detected and working for you, then you can uninstall it).
Add your CPU and OS version.

--

matau
Level 9
Guys after the bios downgrade to 310 should I re-enable the system firmware?