cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703GM-DS74 shutdowns/restarts when typing the letter ''T'' on keyboard

temp3212
Level 7
Hey guys, so yesterday my laptop started randomly crashing/restarting for no reason at all. I couldn't pinpoint exactly where the problem laid, so I decided to partially reset my Windows but kept my files.

What I figured out is, it would only crash when typing. I just found that odd so I tried pressing different keys and it wouldn't crash unless I pressed the letter ''T''. Most of the time, it crashes right when I press the letter, some other times it takes 2-3-4-5-6 repetitive taps for the laptop to crash, but it has always crashed so far.

I uninstalled my keyboard drivers and re-started computer but that didn't do anything. I hard factory reset my laptop by holding the power button as well but that only increased the amount of times I had to press the letter ''T'' until it would crash again. Not sure if related.

Good news (not sure?) is when I plug an external keyboard, the laptop no longer crashes. I can spam whatever letters and everything runs smoothly. I have honestly no clue what's causing this.

I ran an sfc /scannow, says some files couldn't be repaired but the logs are filled with spam and dump, can't really find the problem.

It's 100% linked to the keyboard because yesterday my laptop ran for hours as long as I didn't touch the keyboard. Is it software or hardware related?

I've also updated firmware but it feels like this issue happened after the recent firmware/asustek/windows updates.

I seriously need help! What do you guys suggest?
28 REPLIES 28

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
You're being optimistic that Asus repair center or w/e will fix that. They will probably just replace a couple of random parts like they usually do and call it a day lol

#only_asus_things :D:D

their customer support level is horrendous these days.. bad customer care all around from them 😞

I just wanted to update on my original post.

My laptop has been fine ever since. I'm still not sure how the problem came to be, but I am relived that I never had to send my laptop in for repair.

Stumbled across this thread when my GL 703 developed the same fault. I found the fix and mine's been OK for a week or so now. The problem is the metal underside of the keyboard shorting onto the motherboard. You need to lift out the motherboard, flip it over and you'll see that the keyboard is supported by a few dimples punched into the metal which rests directly on the motherboard. Some of these are meant to have an electrical connection as they touch and are screwed onto copper pads, but six or so must not short to the copper tracks and the only insulation provided are a few blobs of white paint silk screened on. In my case a couple of these paint pads had worn through so the keyboard base would short onto the tracks every time the letters around the 'T' were pressed. The solution is to simply cover the paint pads with insulating tape. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Hey guys! I want to thank you for the information! I had the same problem and I decided to open the laptop and put the electric isolation tape. Since then it's working flawlessly! Thank you @Dave B and @Tor_Spo.

Dave B wrote:
Stumbled across this thread when my GL 703 developed the same fault. I found the fix and mine's been OK for a week or so now. The problem is the metal underside of the keyboard shorting onto the motherboard. You need to lift out the motherboard, flip it over and you'll see that the keyboard is supported by a few dimples punched into the metal which rests directly on the motherboard. Some of these are meant to have an electrical connection as they touch and are screwed onto copper pads, but six or so must not short to the copper tracks and the only insulation provided are a few blobs of white paint silk screened on. In my case a couple of these paint pads had worn through so the keyboard base would short onto the tracks every time the letters around the 'T' were pressed. The solution is to simply cover the paint pads with insulating tape. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Tor_Spo wrote:
you need to fix the problem from the motherboard, add electrical tape there where it shortcircuits. your keyboard is just fine.

https://imgur.com/VZuM9WV

Hey guys I have a gl703gs and had the exact same issue with the laptop turning off when pressing certain keys (tfgh).
I took the laptop apart and covered all the metal plates between the motherboard and keyboard as per pictures from previous comment's plus a few extra for good measure and all seems to be working now. Really is something Asus should of done from factory.
Thanks for the help.

Dave B wrote:

I just wanted to say thank you, thank you, thank you Dave B for this discovery and the instructions. I added electrical tape to the four metal spacers (dimples) on the keyboard that had corresponding worn out insulation paint on the motherboard. My GL703 is now back in action. What a relief! Thanks again.

Thanks to all who have written in this post to solve the problem, even to this date this thread helps! 🙂

Had the same problem, but with 5-,6- and 7-keys, same fix though.

Ones again thanks!!

cl-Adrian
Level 8
My name is Adrian from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. If you would allow, i would be more than glad to help provide resolution to this case. Please PM or email me with the below details so I can work with related personnel to get this straightened out.

Product S/N:
RMA #:
Address:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:

Please reach me via email, my email is cl-adrian@asus.com.:

raju2529
Level 7
I think asus is released keyboard firmware update in last year. So contact the security team via email and then get firmware, update it
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

hexaae
Level 12
Same here: if I give a moderate hit in T G Y H zone, my GL703GS sometimes switches off. I can still type normally, but must be careful not to hit too hard that part of the keyboard.
Videos to tear apart this laptops and reach the keyboard?
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse