cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703GM-DS74 shutdowns/restarts when typing the letter ''T'' on keyboard

temp3212
Level 7
Hey guys, so yesterday my laptop started randomly crashing/restarting for no reason at all. I couldn't pinpoint exactly where the problem laid, so I decided to partially reset my Windows but kept my files.

What I figured out is, it would only crash when typing. I just found that odd so I tried pressing different keys and it wouldn't crash unless I pressed the letter ''T''. Most of the time, it crashes right when I press the letter, some other times it takes 2-3-4-5-6 repetitive taps for the laptop to crash, but it has always crashed so far.

I uninstalled my keyboard drivers and re-started computer but that didn't do anything. I hard factory reset my laptop by holding the power button as well but that only increased the amount of times I had to press the letter ''T'' until it would crash again. Not sure if related.

Good news (not sure?) is when I plug an external keyboard, the laptop no longer crashes. I can spam whatever letters and everything runs smoothly. I have honestly no clue what's causing this.

I ran an sfc /scannow, says some files couldn't be repaired but the logs are filled with spam and dump, can't really find the problem.

It's 100% linked to the keyboard because yesterday my laptop ran for hours as long as I didn't touch the keyboard. Is it software or hardware related?

I've also updated firmware but it feels like this issue happened after the recent firmware/asustek/windows updates.

I seriously need help! What do you guys suggest?
28 REPLIES 28

hexaae wrote:
Same here: if I give a moderate hit in T G Y H zone, my GL703GS sometimes switches off. I can still type normally, but must be careful not to hit too hard that part of the keyboard.
Videos to tear apart this laptops and reach the keyboard?

you need to fix the problem from the motherboard, add electrical tape there where it shortcircuits. your keyboard is just fine.

https://imgur.com/VZuM9WV

hexaae wrote:
Same here: if I give a moderate hit in T G Y H zone, my GL703GS sometimes switches off. I can still type normally, but must be careful not to hit too hard that part of the keyboard.
Videos to tear apart this laptops and reach the keyboard?

you need to fix the problem from the spot where motherboard & laptop's keyboard contact (T & H area from keyboard), add electrical tape there where it shortcircuits. your keyboard is just fine.

Tor_Spo wrote:
you need to fix the problem from the spot where motherboard & laptop's keyboard contact (T & H area from keyboard), add electrical tape there where it shortcircuits. your keyboard is just fine.

BTW, can you explain the pic and red-circles?
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

toronto699
Level 13

hexaae
Level 12
Thanks, I've read this above. Will do this anytime soon.

(Reposting your useful pic since imgur removes pics after some months)
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
Thanks, I've read this above. Will do this anytime soon.

(Reposting your useful pic since imgur removes pics after some months)

This is so inacceptable.. mine GL703, same problem one month after the 2-years warranty is expired... (planned obsolescence?)
After send an email to Asus support, with also the link to this thread for all the opther people that have the same problem, they answer me to format the pc....

I have followed your suggenstion and looked this video, with a computer with the same problem.

I have placed tha tape in the same position of the image, and for now seems all working... until when, I don't know...

headspawn
Level 7
What a weird design flaw, I've been having this problem for a while when pressing anywhere near 5-0 above the letter keys.

ArmorDude1
Level 8

Taking mine apart this week and trying this fix./

done and done.

Lets see if this works/