cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702ZC laptop fans running on 100% inside BIOS/UEFI and in Windows

deksman2
Level 8
I was playing mass effect Andromeda and suddenly, my fans kicked to 100% for unexplained reason. Temperatures were nominal, so was gaming.
The laptops fans just started working on max without explanation.
I shut down the game and waited to see if the fan speed will drop... It didn't.

Restarted into bios/uefi... And fans are still running at 100% there.

Several windows install package services also stopped running as I couldn't remove asus rog gaming center or ryzen master... Kept getting an "error error 1720. There is a problem with this windows installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action remove AMDRMservice script error - 2146828218."

I tried installing latest chipset drivers, etc, no change.

I also just reset windows completely. No change. Laptop fans are at 100% inside and outside windows (bios/uefi - they are running at over 6650 rpm and not powering down... The CPU and gpu are dow below 30 degrees Celsius and still the fans are running at 100% inside bios/uefi)

What the heck is causing this?
Could gaming have caused the thermal paste to dissolve or something?

Earlier today we had a small power surge from a toaster which forced the main electricity switch (which operates the mains) to shut down. But this fan issue didn't start until about 6 hours later and prior to that (but after the surge), fans were running fine by adjusting themselves to the load.

Any ideas?
This seems to go beyond Windows going corrupt.
I could try to install a previous bios/uefi version and see if that changes anything... But maybe I should contact asus technical support first

I already tried resetting bios/uefi to the default and no success.
I shut down the laptop for the night and went to sleep. I'm just up and will try activating it to see if the fans decided to calm down, if not, I'll need to call Asus.

As for installing the older bios/uefi version, i forgot about the fact that Asus never put up the older version on the website. Only the new one.

UPDATE1:
Sigh... just turned the laptop on after hours of it being shut down (I've been sleeping) and disconnected from the mains.
No change... fans went up to 100% as soon as it powered up (and yes, this is also inside BIOS/UEFI).

I honestly don't see how this kind of hardware problem could have been caused by Windows - unless chipset drivers became corrupted somehow, but would that really cause the fans to spin at 100% in BIOS/UEFI?

Btw, resetting the Windows got rid of that annoying MSI installer error. I can now easily remove AMD and Asus programs, but the fans being on 100% from boot (and in BIOS) is a continuous issue.

I could try another clean install and see if that would change anything, but I sincerely doubt that.

ROG Gaming center reports CPU and GPU info normally, but the fan boost is only showing 'MAX' without displaying any RPM values.
Changing the fan slider doesn't affect the fan

And of course, Asus customer service is not responding as all their lines are busy it would seem (go figure), so I sent off a support ticket with this issue to Asus due to the inability to contact them over the phone.

I tried using the laptop connected and disconnected from the mains... no change in fan behavior... still running at 100% all the time, inside or outside of Windows.
16 REPLIES 16

niksan29 wrote:
OK, thank you for the information!
For my laptop Asus also decided to replace the motherboard...

Yeah... odd thing is, Asus couldn't tell what caused the problem in the first place.
One would think determining the cause of the failure would be more important, but I have a pretty good idea that it was bad cooling.
This laptop has enormous amount of space and to think Asus couldn't have designed better cooling is just plain preposterous.

Luckily, the undervolt works, and it's a half decent attempt at an all AMD laptop with which I'm happy... but I still think Asus could/should have done A LOT better for the same price

deksman2 wrote:

Luckily, the undervolt works, and it's a half decent attempt at an all AMD laptop with which I'm happy... but I still think Asus could/should have done A LOT better for the same price

tell us in more detail how much the voltage has decreased (for stable operation of the system) and how?:)

niksan29 wrote:
tell us in more detail how much the voltage has decreased (for stable operation of the system) and how?:)

I'm running the CPU at 3.3 GhZ and 1.05V (I used Ryzen Master for Threadripper in Creator tab to manipulate the settings and get this stable voltage).

As for the GPU, I used MSI Afterburner to undervolt the core to -93mV (stable across all loads).

Stable voltages will entirely depend on your CPU and GPU silicon quality (the higher the quality, the better undervolt you can achieve).

I was able to drop temperatures by about 10 Degrees C on CPU and the same on GPU with the specified undervolt.

deksman2 wrote:
I'm running the CPU at 3.3 GhZ and 1.05V (I used Ryzen Master for Threadripper in Creator tab to manipulate the settings and get this stable voltage).

As for the GPU, I used MSI Afterburner to undervolt the core to -93mV (stable across all loads).

Stable voltages will entirely depend on your CPU and GPU silicon quality (the higher the quality, the better undervolt you can achieve).

I was able to drop temperatures by about 10 Degrees C on CPU and the same on GPU with the specified undervolt.

Hey deskman2, which country are you from? I am in Hungary. Should I go right away to ASUS repair?

Has anyone who has had theirs fixed by Asus had the problem re occur?

I just got mine repaired but now I dont know whether to keep it or sell it?!

Aleycan
Level 7
Same thing happened to me with my 2 months laptop I sent to asus but they want charge me with 800 USD :mad::mad::mad:
Did you pay anything for repairs ?

deksman2 wrote:
I was playing mass effect Andromeda and suddenly, my fans kicked to 100% for unexplained reason. Temperatures were nominal, so was gaming.
The laptops fans just started working on max without explanation.
I shut down the game and waited to see if the fan speed will drop... It didn't.

Restarted into bios/uefi... And fans are still running at 100% there.

Several windows install package services also stopped running as I couldn't remove asus rog gaming center or ryzen master... Kept getting an "error error 1720. There is a problem with this windows installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Custom action remove AMDRMservice script error - 2146828218."

I tried installing latest chipset drivers, etc, no change.

I also just reset windows completely. No change. Laptop fans are at 100% inside and outside windows (bios/uefi - they are running at over 6650 rpm and not powering down... The CPU and gpu are dow below 30 degrees Celsius and still the fans are running at 100% inside bios/uefi)

What the heck is causing this?
Could gaming have caused the thermal paste to dissolve or something?

Earlier today we had a small power surge from a toaster which forced the main electricity switch (which operates the mains) to shut down. But this fan issue didn't start until about 6 hours later and prior to that (but after the surge), fans were running fine by adjusting themselves to the load.

Any ideas?
This seems to go beyond Windows going corrupt.
I could try to install a previous bios/uefi version and see if that changes anything... But maybe I should contact asus technical support first

I already tried resetting bios/uefi to the default and no success.
I shut down the laptop for the night and went to sleep. I'm just up and will try activating it to see if the fans decided to calm down, if not, I'll need to call Asus.

As for installing the older bios/uefi version, i forgot about the fact that Asus never put up the older version on the website. Only the new one.

UPDATE1:
Sigh... just turned the laptop on after hours of it being shut down (I've been sleeping) and disconnected from the mains.
No change... fans went up to 100% as soon as it powered up (and yes, this is also inside BIOS/UEFI).

I honestly don't see how this kind of hardware problem could have been caused by Windows - unless chipset drivers became corrupted somehow, but would that really cause the fans to spin at 100% in BIOS/UEFI?

Btw, resetting the Windows got rid of that annoying MSI installer error. I can now easily remove AMD and Asus programs, but the fans being on 100% from boot (and in BIOS) is a continuous issue.

I could try another clean install and see if that would change anything, but I sincerely doubt that.

ROG Gaming center reports CPU and GPU info normally, but the fan boost is only showing 'MAX' without displaying any RPM values.
Changing the fan slider doesn't affect the fan

And of course, Asus customer service is not responding as all their lines are busy it would seem (go figure), so I sent off a support ticket with this issue to Asus due to the inability to contact them over the phone.

I tried using the laptop connected and disconnected from the mains... no change in fan behavior... still running at 100% all the time, inside or outside of Windows.

Hello!
How are you?
I am very disappointed. Yesterday, I was playing with the Windows ASUS Center, I turned it on to MAX. Then, it never changed. Then, today, it started to speed up and very loud, it became a pain in my ear.
I downgraded, I upgraded the BIOS, I set to defaults, I changed the ASUS Center says AUTO, but it does not change anything.

What can I do? I am calling the vendor, where I purchased it.

If anyone knows how to turn off the 6800RPM fans, please help and let me know, because I am sure no one will know what to do.

See ya!