cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VS power supply adapter charger very underpowered - and the solution

Rythmicone
Level 7
While gaming under a normal load, the 230w charger supplied with the GL702VS (gtx 1070, Core i7 and 120hz G-sync monitor) gets hot. It will start to throttle. When there is a power shortage, you get frame stutter, and crackling in any bluetooth headsets, not to mention wear on the system. The battery has to be called upon the help out under load, and hence drains it during gaming while plugged in. There is simply not enough power supplied.

I went out and got a 330W Alienware power supply adapter/charger with the proper voltage but more juice. I searched and searched for power supply adapter from its common size to the uncommon size of the charging port on my laptop. I got one from some obscure seller on the Austrailian Ebay.

The result? No more overheating. No more throttling. No more crackling sound. No more anything.

Asus, why would you knowingly provide an underpowered adapter with you gaming laptops? This laptop released at $2500... there is no excuse for me having to by a 100$ charger and adapter to replace the one I have.

Not to mention, my battery quit for good less than a year after buying and was not covered. There goes 125$. I am convinced that the stress on the battery while gaming/charging was bad for that battery.

I expect more from an ROG gaming laptop. Once I got things all fixed ( The monitor was replaced under warranty, so that was good. It had a dead cluster) this laptop works beautifully. This should have been the experience from the start!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112529280619?_trksid=p2060353.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI112529280619....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-4mm-5-0mm-to-6-0mm-3-7mm-Converter-Cable-for-ASUS-AC-Adapter-Chargers/...
16 REPLIES 16

Hello, I was able to hook my GL703GM to lab bench PSU and ran my laptop at 240W and it fixed it. So ASUS is definitely messing up.

xyz45 wrote:
Hello, I was able to hook my GL703GM to lab bench PSU and ran my laptop at 240W and it fixed it. So ASUS is definitely messing up.

Interesting. Did you measure the power draw at the wall or at the 19v input?

I hooked a power meter behind my power brick and ran furmark and prime95 and highest power reading from the wall socket was 205W. After the GL702VS reached maximum temps (cpu 96C and gpu 80C) the power reading went down and stabilized at around 180W with a +/- 10W fluctuation due to throttling.

I haven't tried running for a longer time to see if the power brick fails when it heats up but i will report back when i have, an hour of furmark and prime95 will probably be enough.

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
Any noticeable performance increase when running with the more powerful ac adapter?

FastM
Level 8
So i was thinking instead of spending money on a new power brick, I would be more interested in a power lab bench PSU as mentioned above to power the laptop at home.*

Having that kind of tool can be useful for other applications like charging (kick-starting) dead batteries and such..

Can someone recommend that type of unit on ebay or amazon that would work well with our laptop?

In passing, this overload/overheating of the asus psu is getting annoying. It’s happenig at the worst possible moments in game and makes it un-playable for those 5-6 seconds before thing come back to normal. I have my laptop running with the bottom cover off sitting on a laptop cooler. My cpu/gpu temps max out at 80c/65c running a -120mv undervolt and custom 800mv gpu curve. knowning the other components are well cooled with the bottom case removed system overheating cannot be the issue.

FastM wrote:
So i was thinking instead of spending money on a new power brick, I would be more interested in a power lab bench PSU as mentioned above to power the laptop at home.*

Having that kind of tool can be useful for other applications like charging (kick-starting) dead batteries and such..

Can someone recommend that type of unit on ebay or amazon that would work well with our laptop?

In passing, this overload/overheating of the asus psu is getting annoying. It’s happenig at the worst possible moments in game and makes it un-playable for those 5-6 seconds before thing come back to normal. I have my laptop running with the bottom cover off sitting on a laptop cooler. My cpu/gpu temps max out at 80c/65c running a -120mv undervolt and custom 800mv gpu curve. knowning the other components are well cooled with the bottom case removed system overheating cannot be the issue.

A powerful enough bench power supply would be a LOT more expensive than a proper ac adapter.

shennk
Level 7
Rythmicone wrote:
While gaming under a normal load, the 230w charger supplied with the GL702VS (gtx 1070, Core i7 and 120hz G-sync monitor) gets hot. It will start to throttle. When there is a power shortage, you get frame stutter, and crackling in any bluetooth headsets, not to mention wear on the system. The battery has to be called upon the help out under load, and hence drains it during gaming while plugged in. There is simply not enough power supplied.

I went out and got a 330W Alienware power supply adapter/charger with the proper voltage but more juice. I searched and searched for power supply adapter from its common size to the uncommon size of the charging port on my laptop. I got one from some obscure seller on the Austrailian Ebay.

The result? No more overheating. No more throttling. No more crackling sound. No more anything.

Asus, why would you knowingly provide an underpowered adapter with you gaming laptops? This laptop released at $2500... there is no excuse for me having to by a 100$ charger and adapter to replace the one I have.

Not to mention, my battery quit for good less than a year after buying and was not covered. There goes 125$. I am convinced that the stress on the battery while gaming/charging was bad for that battery.

I expect more from an ROG gaming laptop. Once I got things all fixed ( The monitor was replaced under warranty, so that was good. It had a dead cluster) this laptop works beautifully. This should have been the experience from the start!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112529280619?_trksid=p2060353.m570.l5999&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI112529280619....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7-4mm-5-0mm-to-6-0mm-3-7mm-Converter-Cable-for-ASUS-AC-Adapter-Chargers/...

Hi I have an Asus Zephyrus gx501 with the gtx1080 and I also struggled with discharging battery, I discovered that capping games to under 80FPS worked for me and stopped discharging battery!!! But this defeats the object of my 144hz GSYNC Screen, so last week I went to device manager and disabled the AC power adapter driver and since then i can play games full graphics and resolution at 144 fps

I hope this helps many people like it helped me.