cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM not booting after windows update updated the bios

AFRIKA
Level 7
Hello,

this morning windows prompted me to install updates, i didn't check what updates where and i clicked restart, the computer shutted down, and restarted doing a BIOS update, i noticed that it showed a version dated around april 2019, but when i checked the last bios for this model on the asus page only shows bios dated 2017 as the last one, anyway the update process finalized the bios update, and after another reboot the laptop is stuck in the ROG logo.

i tried to enter to the bios set up but it doesn’t, i just can turn it on or off, I think windows update flashed my laptop with a wrong bios version.

what can i do? is there a way to reflash de bios with the correct one?

Thanks for the help.
34 REPLIES 34

My son powered off his Asus ROG GL702VM because it came on screen that "all data was being erased - do not power off" and assumed it was malware. He is aware of BIOS updates and also was surprised to learn that Windows offers BIOS updates (apparently approved by ASUS).

But alas, I have read through these threads and others about EZ Flash and the CTRL-HOME option. It does not work and I am curious if it is because there is no BIOS (since it was powered off while the current BIOS was being erased). Or is there a part of the BIOS/Firmware that is not erasable that contains EZ Flash and this CTRL-HOME option?

Some posts suggest I unhook his primary SSD drive (the drives installed are an SSD drive and TB drive that the unit came with, the laptop has yet to be opened or altered.

Or due to the fact that the laptop was powered off during the course of it being erased is my only option some type of IC Clamp?

MyROGisBRICKED wrote:
My son powered off his Asus ROG GL702VM because it came on screen that "all data was being erased - do not power off" and assumed it was malware. He is aware of BIOS updates and also was surprised to learn that Windows offers BIOS updates (apparently approved by ASUS).

But alas, I have read through these threads and others about EZ Flash and the CTRL-HOME option. It does not work and I am curious if it is because there is no BIOS (since it was powered off while the current BIOS was being erased). Or is there a part of the BIOS/Firmware that is not erasable that contains EZ Flash and this CTRL-HOME option?

Some posts suggest I unhook his primary SSD drive (the drives installed are an SSD drive and TB drive that the unit came with, the laptop has yet to be opened or altered.

Or due to the fact that the laptop was powered off during the course of it being erased is my only option some type of IC Clamp?

turn it up without hard drives, if it boots up, then is the issue described in this forum, if it doesnt boot without hard drive then your board is bricked and you have to send it to asus.

MyROGisBRICKED wrote:

I know you have done the CTRL+HOME method ,but make sure you have an empty usb drive and correct bios naming .BIN in capitals. see below for instructions

Download an old 702VM BIOS firmware from the ASUS website. in this case version 306.
Get an empty reformatted USB stick.right click usb stick >format>click quick reformat>format.

from your downloaded BIOS file 306 extract folder. you will get a file GL702VM-AS.306 , rename this to GL702VM.BIN

drag the file to usb stick. plug the usb to your laptop. turn on laptop,quickly press CTRL+HOME. it should boot to EZflash bios and reupdate it.

this happened on my laptop aswell. i gave up on the CTRL+HOME method until i discovered the renaming part. and it unbricked my laptop.

let me know

binaryLV
Level 8
Here's my experience with flashing bricked GL702VMK (bricked it during BIOS update that was done by Windows update)- https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?111335-What-s-new-in-this-week-s-GL702VMK-bios-update#post...
It took me quite a lot of time to get Ctrl+Home method working, but that's because I wasn't waiting for long enough.

Thanks guys, I updated a customers BIOS AND IT BRICKED. But because of this forum, I was able to save it and revert to older BIOS.
Thank you so much!!