cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM not booting after windows update updated the bios

AFRIKA
Level 7
Hello,

this morning windows prompted me to install updates, i didn't check what updates where and i clicked restart, the computer shutted down, and restarted doing a BIOS update, i noticed that it showed a version dated around april 2019, but when i checked the last bios for this model on the asus page only shows bios dated 2017 as the last one, anyway the update process finalized the bios update, and after another reboot the laptop is stuck in the ROG logo.

i tried to enter to the bios set up but it doesn’t, i just can turn it on or off, I think windows update flashed my laptop with a wrong bios version.

what can i do? is there a way to reflash de bios with the correct one?

Thanks for the help.
34 REPLIES 34

AFRIKA wrote:
Sorry i cant understand correctly, you are saying that you managed to make bios 310 work with ssds?

Can you specify how you did it? Or post it on your native language and i will try to translate

Thanks!

mate try this ... turn again with other metod 3.06 . its ok .

an than ;

asus bios 3.10 download and unzip . put 3.10 file to any usb flash drive .

disconnect ssd from computer ( screw take off ) , open bios setup you know esc key .

and choose advanced section and start easy flash . choose 3.10 files ( on usb flash drive ) and start bios flash .

after that finished bios flash progress , shutdown pc and connect ssd on pc . done . this way worked for me . ssd working ...

The problem is simply , you should not have plugged any ssd in the computer when flash progress .

I hope it works for you too . the same asus models , always reacts differently 😉

eklembacak wrote:
mate , asus published official bios 3.10 for gl702vm .

try this and test about ssd . ssd ok for me ...

waiting for your comments 😄

Windows update now tryes to update my bios everytime i reboot...

block the system firmware hardware ID using group policy editor and update the same to the windows
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

AFRIKA wrote:
Windows update now tryes to update my bios everytime i reboot...

Download this small tool from Microsoft and block the bios update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-rei...

Windows was also trying to update my bios and I blocked it using this tool.
Also, I set all my connections to "metered" so I can download the updates only when I want to.

adrian_craig
Level 7
How do I roll back the bios to 306?

adrian_craig wrote:
How do I roll back the bios to 306?

search for an old hard drive (Non SSD) with windows and from there roll back to the bios 306 using the winflash app from asus, open the folder where winflash is installed, press shift + right click and press open a power shell window here.

then use the following command: .\ winflash /nodate after pressing enter, the winflash app will open, select the 306 bios and flash it.

Greetings, all. I love my GL702VM but the 310 Windows Update ruined my ability to use the keyboard and USB. The touchpad still works.
Using the on-screen keyboard, I've tried:
-Reverting to 305, still no keyboard
-Reverting to 306, no keyboard but USB works sometimes
-Upgrading to official 310, no good.

I switched back to the stock mSATA SSD and unfortunately still no keyboard access.
Reinstalled Windows 10 from USB DVD and it worked great... until Windows updated.
Restored from an image so I'm at least still in an on-screen keyboard state.

I don't know how to get back to a state where the keyboard works. Any clues? Asus chat unfortunately had no clues about rolling back BIOS changes.
Thank you!

Edit: what finally worked: Fresh Win10 install from USB DVD to the NVME using a USB keyboard, block updates, download only ASUS patches from GL702VM page- running the keyboard updater after the chipset driver. Keyboard and USB are back. Fingers crossed.

Test

stmDooD
Level 7
The same problem.
m.2 ssd Samsung 850evo 250 GB + BIOS 3.06 - works good
m.2 ssd Samsung 850evo 250 GB + BIOS 3.10 - doesn't start
m.2 ssd nvme Samsung pm981 512 GB + BIOS 3.06 - works good
m.2 ssd nvme Samsung pm981 512 GB + BIOS 3.10 - works good

ArogGL702vmF
Level 7
AFRIKA wrote:
Hello,

this morning windows prompted me to install updates, i didn't check what updates where and i clicked restart, the computer shutted down, and restarted doing a BIOS update, i noticed that it showed a version dated around april 2019, but when i checked the last bios for this model on the asus page only shows bios dated 2017 as the last one, anyway the update process finalized the bios update, and after another reboot the laptop is stuck in the ROG logo.

i tried to enter to the bios set up but it doesn’t, i just can turn it on or off, I think windows update flashed my laptop with a wrong bios version.

what can i do? is there a way to reflash de bios with the correct one?

Thanks for the help.

removed 850 evo in D Drive position, reinstalled sata hdd in D drive. Boots fine. 850 works in usb in closure but no longer in gl702vm. go figure!