cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM not booting after windows update updated the bios

AFRIKA
Level 7
Hello,

this morning windows prompted me to install updates, i didn't check what updates where and i clicked restart, the computer shutted down, and restarted doing a BIOS update, i noticed that it showed a version dated around april 2019, but when i checked the last bios for this model on the asus page only shows bios dated 2017 as the last one, anyway the update process finalized the bios update, and after another reboot the laptop is stuck in the ROG logo.

i tried to enter to the bios set up but it doesn’t, i just can turn it on or off, I think windows update flashed my laptop with a wrong bios version.

what can i do? is there a way to reflash de bios with the correct one?

Thanks for the help.
34 REPLIES 34

This did not work for me, when i used easy flash from bios with a usb stick it gave me an error BUILD DATE IS TO OLD !

I DL the 310 from Asus web site.

I can not boot to windows from my storage hard drive and can not use my ssd . Just like everyone else its a brick with the ssd in so I took it out. I can at least get into bios now but thats it no safe mode no boot options what so ever. Any advice ?

retrsocycick wrote:
This did not work for me, when i used easy flash from bios with a usb stick it gave me an error BUILD DATE IS TO OLD !

I DL the 310 from Asus web site.

I can not boot to windows from my storage hard drive and can not use my ssd . Just like everyone else its a brick with the ssd in so I took it out. I can at least get into bios now but thats it no safe mode no boot options what so ever. Any advice ?

search for an old hard drive (Non SSD) with windows and from there roll back to the bios 306 and then flash the 310 from the bios, and see if that works, if not at least you can roll back to 306 and boot with your old ssd.

AFRIKA wrote:
search for an old hard drive (Non SSD) with windows and from there roll back to the bios 306 and then flash the 310 from the bios, and see if that works, if not at least you can roll back to 306 and boot with your old ssd.

Put windows 10 on an old hard drive and that did not work. It would not boot to it but found a solution that worked for me.

Thanks for the advice AFRIKA just to let anyone else know I found and old hard drive slapped it in there and used the microsoft Create Windows 10 installation media tool. I created a USB Windows 10 installation media stick and that worked for me. put in the stick and installed a fresh copy of windows 10. I will repost when finished flashing and let people know if I was able to fix the problem and down grade from freakin forced windows flash.

retrsocycick wrote:
Put windows 10 on an old hard drive and that did not work. It would not boot to it but found a solution that worked for me.

Thanks for the advice AFRIKA just to let anyone else know I found and old hard drive slapped it in there and used the microsoft Create Windows 10 installation media tool. I created a USB Windows 10 installation media stick and that worked for me. put in the stick and installed a fresh copy of windows 10. I will repost when finished flashing and let people know if I was able to fix the problem and down grade from freakin forced windows flash.

Thanks Again Credit AFRIKA for helping me start the process.

So this solution worked for me please read the previous posts to get an idea but I will quickly run through what i did.

Remember The final step to down grade the BIOS is to run win flash through command prompt. That way it wont block you with error bios is older than current version. Use link below for instructions on how to do this.

downgrade bios

If you were having trouble booting even after switching hard drives with a loaded version of windows use the step above to create a new windows install flash drive.

I downgraded to version 305 and slapped the old ssd drive and my data drive back in. I had to find an old hard drive which was time consuming looking for it so its not an easy fix if you dont have one. You will prob have to buy one or if like me you had a data drive were you didnt want to lose everything find a way to back it up and use that for the clean install. It was BS that we had to even go through this SCREW YOU Micro Soft. What ever bone head decided to automatically flash a bios is a real smart cookie. I would not be surprised if some systems brick permanently. Good luck guys.

retrsocycick wrote:
It was BS that we had to even go through this SCREW YOU Micro Soft. What ever bone head decided to automatically flash a bios is a real smart cookie. I would not be surprised if some systems brick permanently. Good luck guys.

I think we (PC users in general) can expect to see more UEFI updates via Windows Update - https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2018/10/17/introducing-component-firmware-update/

And here's what I found in ASUS FAQ about recent UEFI update - https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1040162
BIOS updated to ensure more security when setting BIOS password
Last Update : 2019/06/06 17:15

ASUS has released a BIOS update for notebook PCs to ensure a more secure and convenient computing experience.
This update only affects the users who currently have a password for their BIOS or hard drive.
Concerned users with a password should install the new BIOS update via Windows Update or download it from https://www.asus.com/support/.

retrsocycick wrote:
Thanks Again Credit AFRIKA for helping me start the process.

So this solution worked for me please read the previous posts to get an idea but I will quickly run through what i did.

Remember The final step to down grade the BIOS is to run win flash through command prompt. That way it wont block you with error bios is older than current version.

If you were having trouble booting even after switching hard drives with a loaded version of windows use the step above to create a new windows install flash drive.

I downgraded to version 305 and slapped the old ssd drive and my data drive back in. I had to find an old hard drive which was time consuming looking for it so its not an easy fix if you dont have one. You will prob have to buy one or if like me you had a data drive were you didnt want to lose everything find a way to back it up and use that for the clean install. It was BS that we had to even go through this SCREW YOU Micro Soft. What ever bone head decided to automatically flash a bios is a real smart cookie. I would not be surprised if some systems brick permanently. Good luck guys.

now i have another Hard drive in case windows wants to reinstall the bios again.

AFRIKA wrote:
well.. the bios 310 that windows update is pushing for the GL702VM is bugged, doesnt boot SSDs... so we have to go back to the 306.

mate , asus published official bios 3.10 for gl702vm .

try this and test about ssd . ssd ok for me ...

waiting for your comments 😄

eklembacak wrote:
mate , asus published official bios 3.10 for gl702vm .

try this and test about ssd . ssd ok for me ...

waiting for your comments 😄

Same thing, no boot up with my ssd.

AFRIKA wrote:
Same thing, no boot up with my ssd.

LoL . We are having engineering experience with asus about one week .

ssd hdd all of them put out on pc . an than usb flash 3.10 on bios startup.

ssd hdd all of them re-put . and work ...

eklembacak wrote:
LoL . We are having engineering experience with asus about one week .

ssd hdd all of them put out on pc . an than usb flash 3.10 on bios startup.

ssd hdd all of them re-put . and work ...

Sorry i cant understand correctly, you are saying that you managed to make bios 310 work with ssds?

Can you specify how you did it? Or post it on your native language and i will try to translate

Thanks!