cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM keyboard stops working or key "stuck" occasionally

xarot
Level 11
Hello,

I've had two occurrences with my brand new GL702VM where the keyboard completely stops working and it is inputting constantly a single character on the screen like there was a key stuck. Rebooting or closing and opening the lid solves this issue. Since it's a brand new laptop, I've only tested some games to "burn in" the laptop like setting all power states and Vsync off and try get the max temps using games like Witcher 3 and Metro: LL. After I've exited the game about one hour mark, the keyboard stopped working.

This happened on the latest 303 BIOS that includes some fixes for the keyboard. I tried to flash the old BIOS (300 version) back and so far, no issues!

Any thoughts Asus guys? Also this customer has written that the new BIOS completely bricked his keyboard.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R312RAVE6LRV0K/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01KB0W4R0&channel=deta...
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling
34 REPLIES 34

Mr_Pool
Level 7
xarot wrote:
Hello,

I've had two occurrences with my brand new GL702VM where the keyboard completely stops working and it is inputting constantly a single character on the screen like there was a key stuck. Rebooting or closing and opening the lid solves this issue. Since it's a brand new laptop, I've only tested some games to "burn in" the laptop like setting all power states and Vsync off and try get the max temps using games like Witcher 3 and Metro: LL. After I've exited the game about one hour mark, the keyboard stopped working.

This happened on the latest 303 BIOS that includes some fixes for the keyboard. I tried to flash the old BIOS (300 version) back and so far, no issues!

Any thoughts Asus guys? Also this customer has written that the new BIOS completely bricked his keyboard.

https://www.amazon.com/review/R312RAVE6LRV0K/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01KB0W4R0&channel=deta...

Guys i solved my problem after uninstalling ATK package in Control Panel and instaling it again from the asus drivers site for my model (Gl702VMK)
Try it

Mr.Pool wrote:
Guys i solved my problem after uninstalling ATK package in Control Panel and instaling it again from the asus drivers site for my model (Gl702VMK)
Try it

And this procedure is not risky? i mean, theres no danger to damage or broke something irreversibly? :confused:

Hey, i'm joining the crew here with my GL502VMK

I turned off my laptop last night and woke up today to no keyboard working, no backlight either.

I've reinstalled windows 3 times and nothing.. I'm about to move from BIOS 305 to 302 and see if that helps.

xarot
Level 11
Hi, it would be a good idea to create another topic with the title reflecting the issue for your particular laptop model. This thread started with GL702VM keyboard issues which I was able to fix with a BIOS update months later + updated the firmware of the keyboard. Just saying that the fixed I used with GL702VM probably won't work with any other laptop(s). 🙂
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

xarot wrote:
Hi, it would be a good idea to create another topic with the title reflecting the issue for your particular laptop model. This thread started with GL702VM keyboard issues which I was able to fix with a BIOS update months later + updated the firmware of the keyboard. Just saying that the fixed I used with GL702VM probably won't work with any other laptop(s). 🙂

which version of bios fix your problem? i have the GL703VD with bios 304 and the keyboard still stucks sometimes

Lianna wrote:
which version of bios fix your problem? i have the GL703VD with bios 304 and the keyboard still stucks sometimes

Do you know if is asus planning to fix such an annoying problem?
I have to restart my laptop almost once per day! I updated the keyboard driver after having unistalled it, but no way to let it work!

masato
Level 7
GL503 vm , I have same issue after 2 days when i get this brand new laptop .... , so anyone solve it ??

Asus Support, after some weeks of telling me they were "making tests in their labs" to solve my problem, just told me to update Bios to newest version (707), but if that broke my keyboard the first time making this anoying thing permanent, i dont wanna do it again, what if that completely break it at all this time?!!! O_O

Lianna wrote:
Asus Support, after some weeks of telling me they were "making tests in their labs" to solve my problem, just told me to update Bios to newest version (707), but if that broke my keyboard the first time making this anoying thing permanent, i dont wanna do it again, what if that completely break it at all this time?!!! O_O

Hi! I did this procedure for my ROG GL703VD, nothing has changed! I guess they are just kidding us, many people are reporting such bugs and none is taking it seriously!

allions
Level 7
Hello everyone. Just bought a Gl503VM about 1 week ago. I noticed that i have the same problem, suddendly during gaming the keyboard stop working. Asus support answered that i can use the RMA but i don't want to wait 2 weeks to have my laptop back. Anyone of you has found a solution to the problem?