cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL702VM-db71... possible to boot from Samsung 950 Pro?

rogrej914
Level 7
Is it possible to make the SATA HDD the storage can and boot from the m.2 slot on a Samsung 950 Pro nvme?

I've installed the 950 Pro and Win10 sees it. Samsung Data Magician sees it. I cloned the HDD to the 950, but I don't see the 950 in the bios. This should be possible, right? Bios just got updated to 303.

It's been difficult to get a definitive answer on this. Not a lot being posted about the GL702. Responses are much appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

rogrej914
Level 7
rogrej914 wrote:
Is it possible to make the SATA HDD the storage can and boot from the m.2 slot on a Samsung 950 Pro nvme?

I've installed the 950 Pro and Win10 sees it. Samsung Data Magician sees it. I cloned the HDD to the 950, but I don't see the 950 in the bios. This should be possible, right? Bios just got updated to 303.

It's been difficult to get a definitive answer on this. Not a lot being posted about the GL702. Responses are much appreciated.

Just updating this: The day after I posted this, I got the Samsung 950 Pro nvme to become the system drive. I cloned the HDD to it using Samsung Data Migration tool... trick was to remove the HDD... then the computer booted up to the m.2 slot.

I used a SATA usb 3.0 adapter to wipe the HDD... reinstalled it and now it's my storage can.

I wish the BIOS on the GL702 was better!

I have installed the exact same NVMe drive - 950 pro, but instead of the cloning process I simply removed the existing HDD, installed a clean copy of win10 to the Samsung, then put the HDD back in and formatted it from within Windows. Same result, booting from the 950 pro with the 7200 HDD as storage drive.

Just have to remember to install the Samsung storage driver for the 950 pro to get the best performance from it.

filbee wrote:
I have installed the exact same NVMe drive - 950 pro, but instead of the cloning process I simply removed the existing HDD, installed a clean copy of win10 to the Samsung, then put the HDD back in and formatted it from within Windows. Same result, booting from the 950 pro with the 7200 HDD as storage drive.

Just have to remember to install the Samsung storage driver for the 950 pro to get the best performance from it.

hi, does the 950 Pro run in nvme or sata mode on the gl702?

I used the Toshiba ocz 400 NVME drive and it was super easy to setup. Booted to windows on spinner, used Macrium reflect to move my install to the NVMe. Told windows to boot to bios. In bios, i change the windows boot manager to the toshiba drive to be the primary boot, and wham, booted right up on my NVMe drive. I then formatted the spinner and all is well.