cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

• Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

• On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.

THE GUIDE - GPU

• Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.

This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

TornaD-oz wrote:
Somewhere in this topic some person suggested that there are gaps between the fans and the heatsink. He proposed to close them with the foil tape, and several people reported that this helped them to drop a couple of degrees. However, someone also stated that this doesn't help with the heat dissipation and the laptop stays hotter for longer (makes sense if you think about it). I tried to apply the foil tape and didn't notice any difference, but got BSOD at first throttle at 93 C. Ordered some speaker grills and a hole saw, going to drill the back cover next.

Can you please post screenshots of your curves for GPU? There is not much info on the exact curves people use for GL702VS and 1070, that would be extremely helpful.

Yeah I threw some electric tape where the heatpipe touches the fans to close that gap but honestly I don't see it making a very big difference.

I created a thread specific to the GL702VS 1070gtx a little while ago https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96013-GL702VS-GTX1070-Undervolting-for-Performance&highlig... and just updated it with my current curve.

FastM wrote:
What’s this Foil tape mod you speak of?

Guys it’s not complicated (don’t mean this in a condescending way) the answers exist.

My GL70VS runs PUBG for hours on end with a max CPU temp of low 70c’s and a GPU of mid 60c’s. When I first got the laptop in stock form my cpu was hitting 99 and the GPU high 80’s.

1. Fans need to be boosted through the gaming center. I have mine at 50%. The laptop’s bios is too happy letting the system heat up at default can speeds.

2. Get a laptop cooler, I bought th Aukey brand from amazon. Slim enough to fit in my backpack and quiet. Yes the laptop will run without one but it’s such a simple addition and honestly I prefer having the whole system a little propped up when gaming, gets me closer to the screen without hunching over.
3. CPU Undervolting to at least -100mV. If you can get more stable even better.

3. GPU undervolted with a max of 900mV. ( my curve flatlines at 1860mhz @ 900mv and I achieve the temps mentioned above. ) If your not using a laptop cooler I’d say keep the Undervolting to 800mv around 1750mhz.)

Lastly, make holes! I used a*Hole Saw drill bit to make round holes over each fan and bought some cheap dust guards on eBay to cover them. Now your CPU/GPU get direct cool air on the head sinks.

Also don’t worry about repasting, I did it and can confirm th difference is negligible. You might lower by a degree or 2 but it doesn’t have a big enough impact to be worth the trouble of cost.*

What size hole saw did you use?

JArias wrote:
What size hole saw did you use?

1 3/4 inch. A 1 1/2 inch would work as well.

FastM
Level 8
loud at idle or when the system is under load?

either way i don’t consider them loud, i always wear open style headphones ( sennheiser game one)*and i don’t notice them. let’s not forget this isn’t a desktop, it’s a thin/light gaming laptop. Want to hear loud? go try a Razer Blade under load.*

i’ll try running them and default next time i play and report my temps.

do you run yours at boost at all?*

pppttl
Level 7
Hi,

Is anyone using thermal grizzly kryonaut here? What improvements did you see?
GL702VM

pppttl wrote:
Hi,

i bought it from amazon and will reach me in a week i guess

will use it with arctic themal pad instead of mx4 on my gl502vmk

thebiggboss180 wrote:
i bought it from amazon and will reach me in a week i guess

will use it with arctic themal pad instead of mx4 on my gl502vmk

what thickness artic thermal pad did you order?

pppttl wrote:
Hi,

I did a repast with kryonaut, honestly were talking maybe 4-5 degrees under load. wasn't a big difference.

If I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't, I don't think it was worth the cost/trouble.

FastM wrote:
I did a repast with kryonaut, honestly were talking maybe 4-5 degrees under load. wasn't a big difference.

If I had to do it over again I probably wouldn't, I don't think it was worth the cost/trouble.

if i get 4-5 c drop it will be great.. so i dont reach the 9xc temp again.. with aida stress test for cpu and gpu a ram cpu will reach to 97 c only 2 cores of them

the others only reach 80 c ... so i guess kryonaut will help me ..

Spxz_z
Level 7
Hello, can someone please give me a link to download the proper ROG Gaming Centre version for my GL702VMK. I did a clean windows install and now I can't find the proper version for my laptop. When I install incorrect versions I don't get the option to control my Fan Boost, which I was previously able to do and I was using it a lot. I tried installing the version for my laptop but I was getting some sort of Error 1001. Thanks in advance for the help.