cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

• Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

• On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.

THE GUIDE - GPU

• Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.

This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

Matt2097 wrote:
Kompensan - no, your voltage/clock profile won't revert back to the default until you click the reset icon (you might need to click apply afterwards as well... not sure).

Anyone else - is it possible to edit the curve below 800mV? I'm interested in seeing whether I can create some super-low power profiles for when I don't want to bother anyone with fan noise.

Thanks in advance.

Not possible, due to bios limit for 3D mode

keviin074
Level 7
onjax wrote:
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

• Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

• On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.

THE GUIDE - GPU

• Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.

This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.

Hi Onjax,

Thanks for this thread, it helped me very well!
First of all, normally i didn't care about my CPU & GPU temps, but when i looked at these temps (with MSI afterburn) i mentioned that my GPU was at a temp around 86 degrees and my CPU at 90 - 92 degrees!!!

So i went to the internet and i found this thread. First of all i undervolting my GPU with your profiles for MSI Afterburn (profile 3), then i undervolt my CPU with Throttle Stop, i did -115 mV. Then i checked my temps, GPU = 75 - 77 degrees, CPU = 77 - 79 degrees!! So thank you Onjax, it worked for me!

FPS on For Honor = +/- 55 - 60 FPS on High settings!!

THANKS ONJAX!!

Is this method still working much less safe? I recently got the GL702VM and I am getting drops from say 140 to 30 no matter the settings. I really want to fix this. I payed 1400 for this dang laptop :c

Onjax did more than just undervolt.

1. Remove Back Cover minus 15-20 C
2. Remove Anti-dust tape minus 5 C
3. Under voltage 100-150 mV

I guess doing each one will break warranty. Anyone from Asus here would like to shed light if this is ok to do? Or are we expecting to fry GPU and go for complete replacement.

Good thing WASD is on top of CPU side, otherwise, this would be major inconvenience to gamers. 😛

Thats the thing i thinking about.

I've following this thread for 2 months now. And i cant get temperatures as Onjax.

I've taken onjax Afterburner profile and im using number 1 daily.
I also use XTU turned off Boost and undervolted to -125 mV.

I tried a friends laptopcooler which did nothing in the long run. At first i saw a 2 degree drop but with 2H gaming i was still bashing at 91C.

I'm prepared to remove Dust tape but i would like to know exactly where it is.
Would like someone to put up a picture and highlight it so i can be sure. (Then it's -5c which will take me to 86C in theory.)

I'm still waiting for the next big thing to happen. Some magic thing we can turn off or do to drop at least 10c.

StarJack
Level 11
I've seen people say they were unable to fit the Opolar LC06 to their GL702VM. I've heard the Klim vacuum coolers fit the rear vent and work well but if the LC06 fits I may look into picking one of those up.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

StarJack wrote:
I've seen people say they were unable to fit the Opolar LC06 to their GL702VM. I've heard the Klim vacuum coolers fit the rear vent and work well but if the LC06 fits I may look into picking one of those up.

My Opolar Cooler LC06 showed up today in the mail so I'm going to fit it to my GL702 and report back with pictures and temps (if it fits). If not, it's going back.

No, no, no, no..... This can't be happening....

I bought the gl502vt less than 1 year ago, in the USA.

These days the battery light started blinking orange/green after playing CS: GO for a while. When I turn off and turn the computer back on, everything seems to be normal again. Until I play again. The problem repeats. I have not received any warnings about overheating or any other.

Regarding my use: I would say it is normal. During the day I use programs like Word and Excel - work period - and at night - almost every night - I play CS: GO or FS for 3-4 hours. Always, before playing, I open Asus Rog Gaming Center to turn off applications like Google Drive. Obs: When I play CSGO, the fans looks like is going to fly... It makes a very loud fan noise (just saying that looks like it is not normal). Could you - OR ANYONE - help me out? Thank you very much..

UPDATE: Now the sensor of the battery seems to not work at all... stays at 98% even after 1hrs of use..

Thinking about a refund..

Trevor88 wrote:
My Opolar Cooler LC06 showed up today in the mail so I'm going to fit it to my GL702 and report back with pictures and temps (if it fits). If not, it's going back.

Thanks Trevor, much appreciated.

StarJack wrote:
Thanks Trevor, much appreciated.

With the opolar on from cold start, set to 13 (100%)
After removing it, playing for approximately 5 minutes
Put back on, running at 100%

So, what seems to be the best thing to do is keep it running from a cold start, at 100%. It seems that if the laptop heats up even once, it has a really hard time staying cool. To be fair, it did cool my system a bit, just not nearly as much as I thought it would have. I'm going to try and let it cool down and then play again to see if I can keep the temps down. I will post with an update.