cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

• Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

• On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.

THE GUIDE - GPU

• Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.

This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

blujett2.0 wrote:
Hello! I picked up a GL702VS and read through this whole thread. Thanks for all the useful tips! I wanted to look at modifying the bottom of my laptop with a cooling vent like the Alienware 15 R3 and when searching for images I came across HIDEvolution that has an upgrade where they will install vents on the bottom for +$50 when ordering from them! So clearly they've been researching this as well. I wanted to see if someone knew what speaker or grille covers they were using to do it to mine. Since I didn't buy mine from them they wouldn't let me send my bottom plate in and have the mod done. :S

Note: Image is from HIDEvolution.com

Damn that is slick. Makes me wish Asus would have just sold the things like that.

danmoore03 wrote:
I was thinking of modifying my bottom plate as well. How much did you gain in cooling once you did yours? I'm down to mid 30's idling with Kryonaut, and a heatsink on the PCB. Gaming .. destiny maxxed out i get around 70ish. I thought about measuring the diameter of the fan, taking a very small drill bit, i.e. 1/8th inch and drilling small holes in a uniform circular pattern the size of the fans.

Are you using the GL702VM? you mean below 40c on idle? Are the inside fans spinning?

Szlain wrote:
Hi, that's my video/laptop, the vents are cut directly where the 2 main cooling fans are, theyre roughly 30mm diameter circles.

I am considering cutting the rear third away like you say, but only to replace it with something similar to what alienware do with their r4 17 inch

You gave me an idea. Buy a bottom cover from an alienware 17 r4....cut the vent portion out, slap it on the back of the gl702vs...I do wonder if it would fit. You can get a used bottom cover for $20 on ebay. I bought one and am going to see if I can do something with it. Hoping it would look something like this:

KalEl wrote:
You gave me an idea. Buy a bottom cover from an alienware 17 r4....cut the vent portion out, slap it on the back of the gl702vs...I do wonder if it would fit. You can get a used bottom cover for $20 on ebay. I bought one and am going to see if I can do something with it. Hoping it would look something like this:

You know what bottom cover fit with gl703vm?

Wysłane z mojego Redmi Pro przy użyciu Tapatalka

skejcikk101 wrote:
You know what bottom cover fit with gl703vm?

Wysłane z mojego Redmi Pro przy użyciu Tapatalka

Ya that bottom from the Alienware 17 r4 was way too big. I'm thinking I can still use it, but divide it in half into something like this:

I am looking to buy Asus Gl702 VM. I have read many of the posts but still can't come to the conclusion. If I buy it I won't be changing thermal pastes and drilling holes since I have never even opened a laptop's back. So with undervolting, disabling turbo boost and ramping up fan speed manually be enough to keep CPU temperature to playable levels for long gaming sessions? I would really appreciate if someone helps me out.

fchamp1989 wrote:
I am looking to buy Asus Gl702 VM. I have read many of the posts but still can't come to the conclusion. If I buy it I won't be changing thermal pastes and drilling holes since I have never even opened a laptop's back. So with undervolting, disabling turbo boost and ramping up fan speed manually be enough to keep CPU temperature to playable levels for long gaming sessions? I would really appreciate if someone helps me out.

That's what I've done exactly & now My CPU , GPU never Exceeds 75 C >> Which is good

Amr Nasser wrote:
That's what I've done exactly & now My CPU , GPU never Exceeds 75 C >> Which is good

Sorry the model was actually GL702VS and is available at Newegg. Is there any difference between VS and the VM model? Also the model has kaby lake so is there any temperature difference between 6th and 7th Gen CPU?

Amr Nasser wrote:

Thanks for the reply man. That's really good temperature for CPU and GPU.

fchamp1989 wrote:

Undervolting and boosting the fans is enough to keep temps nicely under control. You'll be able to keep TurboBoost On and get better than stock speeds.