cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

• Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

• On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.

THE GUIDE - GPU

• Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.

This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

Catalinapcv wrote:
Hi everyone, new here. Guess why? Yep, I bought my GL703VM during December sales. It was a good offer so I didn't even stop to read reviews and here I am. Sadly, I didn't have enough time to try it out before. Although I believe I can return it until Jan 31th (5 more days), your solutions gave me hope. Because, besides from the heating this thing is really good (Am I wrong? Please tell me I am not...). Anyway, I bought the Opolar and I saw a significant drop on temperature, but I am worried about my screen. I have tried different positions for it, but I just cannot seem to reach a 90º position and the extractor is already pushing against it. Have any of you had this problem? I think the design on the GL703VM is slightly different to the GL702VM. Any suggestions? I haven't glued the permanent plastic thing of the opolar yet because I am still struggling over whether to keep the laptop or not. It's my first gamer laptop, and I am expecting it to last for a while, but I don't think I will be able to find another with this specs for the same price...

Hi! I have the GL703VM (Scar edition). It was very hot without undervolting. What helps the cooling? You should always keep the back end of the laptop elevated, otherwise it will overheat. Undervolting CPU _AND_ GPU makes it a different machine. I have -140mv stable undervolt in CPU (7700hq) and I run my GPU (1060 6gb) @1850MHz / 825mV. Normally it would have about 950mV with this MHz, so it's about -125mV underclock. Like this, it can run AIDA64 without throttling (100% CPU + 100% GPU).

Also, I have found that I can use the laptop completely in clamshell mode and the temperatures are the same, compared to having the lid open. It seems to leave a small gap, even though the lid is down. This is my first gaming laptop and I'm pretty pleased with it. I was prepared to study the underclocking thing and it sure changed everything. I read this thread before buying.

READ ME NEXT POST! It has the full AIDA64 test.

AAtte wrote:
Hi! I have the GL703VM (Scar edition). It was very hot without undervolting. What helps the cooling? You should always keep the back end of the laptop elevated, otherwise it will overheat. Undervolting CPU _AND_ GPU makes it a different machine. I have -140mv stable undervolt in CPU (7700hq) and I run my GPU (1060 6gb) @1850MHz / 825mV. Normally it would have about 950mV with this MHz, so it's about -125mV underclock. Like this, it can run AIDA64 without throttling (100% CPU + 100% GPU).

Also, I have found that I can use the laptop completely in clamshell mode and the temperatures are the same, compared to having the lid open. It seems to leave a small gap, even though the lid is down. This is my first gaming laptop and I'm pretty pleased with it. I was prepared to study the underclocking thing and it sure changed everything. I read this thread before buying.

READ ME NEXT POST! It has the full AIDA64 test.

Hi, how you undervolt CPU and GPU? Do you use XTU and MSI afterburner or something another? I really need to undervolt my notebook(GL703VM SCAR) becuase it's too hot when i play games. In FIFA18 i have 90-95C CPU and over 97C GPU. its terrible.

RE: now i have update of Windows. I restart the laptop and now its 'working on updates' but its f*cking terribly loud and hot! Its really loud (android apk shows me 65-73 dB !!
Really i need to do something with IT.

skejcikk1 wrote:
Hi, how you undervolt CPU and GPU? Do you use XTU and MSI afterburner or something another? I really need to undervolt my notebook(GL703VM SCAR) becuase it's too hot when i play games. In FIFA18 i have 90-95C CPU and over 97C GPU. its terrible.

RE: now i have update of Windows. I restart the laptop and now its 'working on updates' but its f*cking terribly loud and hot! Its really loud (android apk shows me 65-73 dB !!
Really i need to do something with IT.

Hi! I'm using XTU and Afterburner. Undervolting helps alot.

AAtte wrote:
Hi! I'm using XTU and Afterburner. Undervolting helps alot.

Could you told me how many GB you have on GPU? I have 6GB but XTU show me just 4 GB.

skejcikk1 wrote:
Could you told me how many GB you have on GPU? I have 6GB but XTU show me just 4 GB.

You are fine. The XTU shows it wrong.

Anyone can Edit " Bios " to Unlock Hidden Bios Menu ??

If anyone tried this , does it worth ??

Anyway , My GL702VM , GTX 1060 , While Playing The Division on Ultra Except Little Modification
Tested For 3 Hours Of Gaming , It Reaches 60 - 70 FPS Easily

For Thermals :

GPU >> NEVER Reached 75 C
CPU >> NEVER Reached 75 C

I DIDN'T done the " Drilling Mod " Thought , Just Some Modifications 🙂

Anyone can Edit " Bios " to Unlock Hidden Bios Menu ??

If anyone tried this , does it worth ??

Anyway , My GL702VM , GTX 1060 , While Playing The Division on Ultra Except Little Modification
Tested For 3 Hours Of Gaming , It Reaches 60 - 70 FPS Easily

For Thermals :

GPU >> NEVER Reached 75 C
CPU >> NEVER Reached 75 C

I DIDN'T done the " Drilling Mod " Thought , Just Some Modifications 🙂71351

Catalinapcv wrote:

Weeenaaaa, de que parte de Chile? Y de pura copuchenta, te compraste en Chile el note o afuera? Te salio muy caro? Te quedo piola el arreglo.

wena wena chora! de valparadise, lo compre en 650 lucas en una promo especial que hubo en Ripley, cualquier cosa me escribes por interno, gracias por tu comentario, me gusta hacer moddings y tengo hartas herramientas para eso.
-----
From the main port of Chile, I bought it at 650,000 clp (chilean peso) in a special discount on Ripley, if you need help you tell me by direct message, thanks for your comment, I like to make moddings and I have plenty of tools for that.

Gatoxico wrote:
wena wena chora! de valparadise, lo compre en 650 lucas en una promo especial que hubo en Ripley, cualquier cosa me escribes por interno, gracias por tu comentario, me gusta hacer moddings y tengo hartas herramientas para eso.
-----
From the main port of Chile, I bought it at 650,000 clp (chilean peso) in a special discount on Ripley, if you need help you tell me by direct message, thanks for your comment, I like to make moddings and I have plenty of tools for that.

Saludos bueno encontrar otro chileno... al final hay solucion como pa bajarle temperatura al NOTE?

Gatoxico wrote:
Hello, first of all, excuse my bad English, it is not my native language.
Bored of the high temperatures, change the thermal paste of my gl702vm (i7 6700hq version and 305 bios), use thermal pad artic for the memories and others:

ARCTIC Thermal Pad (50 x 50 x 0.5 mm) - Silicon Based Thermal Pad with 6.0W / mK Thermal Conductivity

ARCTIC Thermal Pad (145 x 145 x 1.0 mm) - Silicon Based Thermal Pad with 6.0W / mK Thermal Conductivity

For the cpu and gpu use artic mx4.

(I followed the same procedure of this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7glBCZr8ntI
but do not use liquid metal because of the risk.
pd: if you perform the video procedure, please disconnect the battery from the motherboard first, see the top of the first image).

Added to the Onjax tutorial:
Cpu: uv -0.135
GPU: profile 3
is 100% stable, with uv -0.140 or profile 1 or 2, playing pubg the system restarts or collapses.

Additionally I drilled the base of the laptop, just under the fans and remove dirt filters.

Playing at 2600mhz processor (i7 6700hq) reached only a max of 73°C (70 average) in cpu and 72°C in GPU (70 average) playing PUBG, dota2 got a max of 65 ° C (62 average), with 23C degree ambient temperature.
The laptop is now much more quiet, with little work the fans even stop turning (netflix, vlc, office, etc)

The original thermal paste of cpu and gpu is very poor quality.

I hope this helps someone the same way that others helped me to solve the temperature problem, thanks to onjax and all the rest of you.

Greetings from Chile.

Hey that's great results! I want to do the exact same thing.

Question for you,

how did you know to order the .5mm and 1.0mm thermal pads? They also sell 1.5mm thickness, would those work better for the GDDR modules?