cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

• Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

• On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.

THE GUIDE - GPU

• Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.

This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

Equus Ligneus wrote:
Anyone having battery issues?

Mine seems to be discharging whenever it's not plugged in -- meaning after just letting the laptop sit turned off without the charger in.

Here's a picture of the battery log generated by my laptop, 83505

Defect battery? Is it possible to order a new one and replace it?

It could possibly be. I've noticed this issue (discharging in the space of a week when powered off)
Last week when I was packing my laptop for work, I plugged in the charger, switched it on and nothing, the light goes out on the charger. I have to remove the charger from the wall.
The charger is ok until I plug it in to the laptop then it instantly switches off. I'm guessing either the charger, battery or charging circuit has a fault.
Quite poor seeing as I've only used it about 20 times.

binaryLV
Level 8
Is there any way to undervolt CPU in BIOS/UEFI on GL702VMK?

Until now I've been using Intel XTU to set voltage offset to -0.110V, but it keeps resetting after waking up from hibernation (few times a week, but not always). I have to manually open Intel XTU GUI, check the core voltage, if it is around 1.05V, then set offset to 0V, then set it to -0.110V. There seems to be some bug with this particular setting (i.e., -0.110V). To make it even more fun, there seems to be some weird bug with this particular offset (i.e., -0.110V) which does not show up when I use some other offset (e.g., -0.109V), but that offset also seems to be resetting on waking up the PC.

I've recently found a way to run CLI version of XTU via Windows Task Scheduler when PC wakes up, it seems to be working, but that's "less than ideal" solution, especially taking into consideration that CLI tool was removed in Intel XTU v6.5.

binaryLV wrote:
Is there any way to undervolt CPU in BIOS/UEFI on GL702VMK?

Until now I've been using Intel XTU to set voltage offset to -0.110V, but it keeps resetting after waking up from hibernation (few times a week, but not always). I have to manually open Intel XTU GUI, check the core voltage, if it is around 1.05V, then set offset to 0V, then set it to -0.110V. There seems to be some bug with this particular setting (i.e., -0.110V). To make it even more fun, there seems to be some weird bug with this particular offset (i.e., -0.110V) which does not show up when I use some other offset (e.g., -0.109V), but that offset also seems to be resetting on waking up the PC.

I've recently found a way to run CLI version of XTU via Windows Task Scheduler when PC wakes up, it seems to be working, but that's "less than ideal" solution, especially taking into consideration that CLI tool was removed in Intel XTU v6.5.

XTU is broken for undervolting, those are known issues. Use throttlestop instead.

binaryLV
Level 8
From what I've read, throttlestop has to be started via Windows Task Scheduler. That doesn't seem to be much different from what I do with Intel XTU to make it work as expected.

I've created a task that executes a .bat file each time when PC wakes up (from hibernation in my case). That file is executed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility\Client" and contains following lines:
XtuCLI.exe -t -id 79 -v -109 | rem
XtuCLI.exe -t -id 79 -v -110 | rem

It would be enough only with the second line, but the bug here is that executing it multiple times switches actual offset between 0V and -0.110V. I.e., run it once, it will be -0.110V, run it again, it will be 0V, run one more time - it will be -0.110V again. XTU "thinks" that offset is -0.110V, but actual offset switches back and forth. That can be observed by looking at "Core Voltage" which sould be below 1V with offset applied, around 1.05V without offset applied. If I recall correctly, I haven't observed this bug with other offsets. That's why I added the first line. Technically it works just fine (at least until I reinstall Windows or start using something else instead of Windows), but shows a black window for a fraction of a second when PC wakes up.

bagges
Level 7
As I sold my GL702VM, I also sell my modified back cover. If someone is interessted, PM me.

You can see pictures of the back here https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...

Dreano
Level 7
This isn't really a performance issue so much as a broken laptop issue. I have a GL702V and the keyboard is dead. No backlight, no response at all. Device manager says it's working but it absolutely isn't. Any suggestions? I fear it's an issue on the mobo to do with power etc. Can't say I'd be very happy if it is. This is a £2000 laptop less than 2 years old. Anyway I'm hoping it won't require a new mobo.

Dreano wrote:
This isn't really a performance issue so much as a broken laptop issue. I have a GL702V and the keyboard is dead. No backlight, no response at all. Device manager says it's working but it absolutely isn't. Any suggestions? I fear it's an issue on the mobo to do with power etc. Can't say I'd be very happy if it is. This is a £2000 laptop less than 2 years old. Anyway I'm hoping it won't require a new mobo.

Are you up to date with all the drivers?
If you arent, get them from the ASUS support website.

joacolupa
Level 7
Anyone of those who have been following the thread from the beginning can make an up to date synthesis of all the options we have to bring the temperatures down?
Going through 111 pages is a nightmare

joacolupa@gmail.com wrote:
Anyone of those who have been following the thread from the beginning can make an up to date synthesis of all the options we have to bring the temperatures down?

Well i would say undervolt both the cpu and the gpu, some have got success by disabling cpu turbo and if you are not afraid to loose the warranty repaste and add thermal pads instead of goo on the voltage regulators.

I undervolt the cpu by -110mV with throttlestop and the gpu with msi afterburner (raised freq curve by 200MHz) and i have repasted cpu and gpu with thermal grizzly kryonaut and swapped the goo on the voltage regulators with alphacool thermal pads.

The result is much better compared to when i got it, performance is now ok under long gaming sessions but this is still a laptop and and it can never be compared to a desktop in cooling abilities.

joacolupa@gmail.com wrote:

I didnt undervolt; I just changed the thermal paste which made the most noticeable increase IMO. I also modded my case to have big air holes where the intake fans are.

I would go back like 5 pages and start from there, so read page 106-to this page. You will see my post and posts similar.