cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GL702VM & similar] Solution to Performance issues / Overheating / Throttling / Whine

onjax
Level 9
Hi guys, I bought GL702VM and was upset with its ability to handle games and high load. I had immediate temperature jump to over 85 jump and throttling / frame drops in games. So I decided to understand how to improve things, even though, I already lost my warranty due to my experiments, but at least I can answer for everyone, that:
- the main problem of this notebook is inefficient, insufficient cooling system with too thin fans, too small heatsinks, vent holes in a wrong places (aside, not above the fans).

To prove this, I first changed the thermal interface to liquid metal. That doesn't solve the issue. This proves, the thermal contact is ok, but heat dissipation is bad. Second, I ran stress tests with back cover removed - helped a lot, about 15-20 degrees off. The proves that air intake is wrong in this system.

I also removed an antidust tape with holes covering all the intake holes. That helped by around 5 degrees and also brought down air noise.

Then I came to idea of downvolting CPU and GPU, thanks to devs of ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner, we can do this with relative ease.

The result: Fan noise reduced by half. Temp drop is huge. More speed due to ability of CPU/GPU to properly boost to max speed.

For your information - CPU is responsible for about 30% of heat, GPU - for 70%. So best idea is to undervolt the GPU, but for best results go for both.

THE GUIDE - CPU
Variant A - Install Intel Xtreme Tuning Utility

  • Go to Advanced Tuning tab and Change Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset to negative value (move slider to the left). -100mV is a good starting point. Leave Mode to Adaptive.
  • Apply changes.

My CPU holds -150mV well.

Variant B - Install Throttle Stop 8.3 or above

  • On main window click FIVR button
  • Under CPU Core Voltage move Offset Voltage slider to the left. -100mV is a good starting point. The lower value the less heat.
  • Click Apply. On the same window you can save settings to make them apply every time you start the app.


THE GUIDE - GPU

  • Download and Install MSI Afterburner 4.3 or above
  • In settings turn on Unlock voltage control and Unlock voltage monitoring
  • Close MSI Afterburner
  • Download my Voltage Profile for GTX 1060
  • Extract profile to some folder and then copy file to "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles". Click continue as Administrator when Windows asks permission to write.
  • Run MSI Afterburner, click on profile 1 (out of 5). Then press Ctrl+F. (1 - least heat, but may be unstable for some... 2, bit more voltage etc till 5.)
  • You will see my Voltage Curve (screenshot). What you'll see that it's flat until 1050mv. that means. 1050 will never be used, so will never be used any voltage except 831mV @ 1860 MHz and below.
  • Click apply to test this curve
  • If this curve is not stable for you - edit it to your taste: Click on 831mV dot and move it lower, so that lower freq will be used for that voltage, and for 1860 freq next available voltage will be used. Etc. Work with leftmost voltage dots to make everything stable.


This curve drops heat of GPU by at least 30%, which is huge.

THE GUIDE - COIL WHINE
Workaround described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/975530

Perform only these steps as Administrator:
1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066
2. Restart the computer.
3. Run ThrottleStop v8.3 or above and uncheck C1E. Click save.

In theory, it will make CPU a bit hotter while system is idle, because it disables some advanced C-states, but i didn't notice that in monitoring app.
That solved like 99.9% of the noise, and in addition, disabling C1E in ThrottleStop solved noise issue completely.
415 Views
1,122 REPLIES 1,122

l337g0g0 wrote:
No sound issues, just CS GO SOMETIMES frames dip just as the music plays for MVP music kit, it's not responsible for all the frame dips, and it doesn't frame dip every time the MVP sound kit plays.

It just makes me think that new content is loading into ram, V-ram HD stuff? who knows.

This is all weird.

BTW: my games are on the HD and I have the SSD SATA, but not really sure if that all matters, the HD and SSD fighting for pipes?

Thanks though for all your help so far.


There's probably something running in the background causing it.
The hard drive shouldn't be a problem. The only game I have installed in the SSD is GTA5, everything else is in a 1TB mechanical drive, all running fine.

As I said, GPU core, voltage and memory clocks are dropping because of "idle" or "util" limits. You can check that with GPUz or Afterburner. That's not the source of the problem. Something "hangs" the system, GPU usage drops, then util or idle limits hit, causing the frequency dips. That's how it is supposed to work.

Probably not related, since you said the sound is OK, but you might wanna check the DPC latency on your system. It could help you track down what's causing the stutters.

Also, out of curiosity, try undercloking the GPU by around -100mhz, and see what happens.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
There's probably something running in the background causing it.
The hard drive shouldn't be a problem. The only game I have installed in the SSD is GTA5, everything else is in a 1TB mechanical drive, all running fine.

As I said, GPU core, voltage and memory clocks are dropping because of "idle" or "util" limits. You can check that with GPUz or Afterburner. That's not the source of the problem. Something "hangs" the system, GPU usage drops, then util or idle limits hit, causing the frequency dips. That's how it is supposed to work.

Probably not related, since you said the sound is OK, but you might wanna check the DPC latency on your system. It could help you track down what's causing the stutters.

Also, out of curiosity, try undercloking the GPU by around -100mhz, and see what happens.


cl_forcepreload 0

I'm going to drop 100Mhz off GPU when I get back from the gym today.

I'll check for background stuff going on. OHH, I have G-Force experience recording so I can save 5 minute clips, and that's being stored on the HD with the game, and I turned of the X-box DVR thingy.
But you said the whole game is loaded to ram, so the HD is not really in used by the game.

I'm also going to shut off G-Force experience recording the game, see what that does.

I'll do all this later today.

Thanks all.


PS: what's DPC?
And I think your right, something is hanging the system, but that fact that all those voltages/frequency/Ram frequency, all drop same time in a precise repeated pastern, and the ram dropping don't line up with that.

Does your CSGO have that same pattern of fluctuating frequency/voltage/and ram frequency dropping at consistent intervals?

l337g0g0 wrote:
cl_forcepreload 0

I'm going to drop 100Mhz off GPU when I get back from the gym today.

I'll check for background stuff going on. OHH, I have G-Force experience recording so I can save 5 minute clips, and that's being stored on the HD with the game, and I turned of the X-box DVR thingy.
But you said the whole game is loaded to ram, so the HD is not really in used by the game.

I'm also going to shut off G-Force experience recording the game, see what that does.

I'll do all this later today.

Thanks all.


PS: what's DPC?
And I think your right, something is hanging the system, but that fact that all those voltages/frequency/Ram frequency, all drop same time in a precise repeated pastern, and the ram dropping don't line up with that.

Does your CSGO have that same pattern of fluctuating frequency/voltage/and ram frequency dropping at consistent intervals?


Before troubleshooting, you have to disable everything you can that is running on the background. Xbox recording thing, game bar, shadowplay (geforce experience), OBS, discord, audio enhancement stuff and so on.
Also, (note that this should NOT make any difference) for troubleshooting purposes, make sure the Windows power plan is set to "high performance" as well as
the power management mode in the Nvidia control panel is set to "maximum performance".

It is normal for the frequencies to fluctuate like that in a non demanding game. Mine does the same, but no stutters. The GPU can sometimes go as low as 800mhz on CS:S. I haven't really checked the intervals tho, but it's probably random, since that depends on what is being shown on screen. This should NOT happen when running more demanding games.

As for the DPC thing;
DPC stands for Deferred Procedure Call. In its simplest form, it is the part of your Windows system that handles driver efficiency. If there is a driver that is taking longer than normal to process, it may prevent other drivers from being processed in time. The worst case is that it can cause your audio interface driver from responding in time and can cause clicks, pops, distortion and dropouts.


It can also cause stutters, but its rare. Worth checking tho, as it may help you find the cause of the problem, if it's being caused by something hanging the system in the background. Google "dpc latency" and go from there.

his problem is more akin to stutters than drops, when i had the fps drops it was happening every few minutes with each drop lasts about 20 seconds, it practically dropped to 20 fps for 20 seconds and then went back to normal for 5-10 minutes and then it drops again.

Don't lower the GPU clock just yet. i'm pretty sure the problem isn't caused by it. GPU clock or voltage issue usually resulting in crash to desktop, freeze, or graphical anomalies.
if his issue is indeed stuttering, usually the main culprit is system instability due to bad configuration, bad power/voltage profile, bad drivers, or software conflict.

first thing to do is to enable cl_forcepreload 1 so that the game round would be loaded to GPU RAM completely instead of partially loaded from RAM to GPU RAM when it's needed while you play the round.
and then setting power profile in nvidia display adapter to maximum performance.
if it is still happening, i suggest you follow the GPU/voltage curve i posted earlier in MSI afterburner, see if that works and let us know.
we'll figure out what it is, don't worry. we'll just have to check the list one by one to get to the problem.

ps: great decision on disabling DVR and nvidia experience.

djbigbear wrote:
his problem is more akin to stutters than drops, when i had the fps drops it was happening every few minutes with each drop lasts about 20 seconds, it practically dropped to 20 fps for 20 seconds and then went back to normal for 5-10 minutes and then it drops again.

Don't lower the GPU clock just yet. i'm pretty sure the problem isn't caused by it. GPU clock or voltage issue usually resulting in crash to desktop, freeze, or graphical anomalies.
if his issue is indeed stuttering, usually the main culprit is system instability due to bad configuration, bad power/voltage profile, bad drivers, or software conflict.

first thing to do is to enable cl_forcepreload 1 so that the game round would be loaded to GPU RAM completely instead of partially loaded from RAM to GPU RAM when it's needed while you play the round.
and then setting power profile in nvidia display adapter to maximum performance.
if it is still happening, i suggest you follow the GPU/voltage curve i posted earlier in MSI afterburner, see if that works and let us know.
we'll figure out what it is, don't worry. we'll just have to check the list one by one to get to the problem.

ps: great decision on disabling DVR and nvidia experience.




It happens in every game, he showed it. The preload thing ain't gonna help if it's happening in every other game he tries.

Clock instability doesn't always cause a black screen or crash to desktop. Open heaven benchmark, then open afterburner, ctrl+f, and keep dropping the voltages in very small increments. You'll see what happens.*
Simply lowering the frequency offset is a lot easier and convinient than applying a custom curve, as a troubleshooting measure, specially because editing f/v curve and be finicky, and a curve that is working for you might not work for someone else, you know, the so-called silicon lottery.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
It happens in every game, he showed it. The preload thing ain't gonna help if it's happening in every other game he tries.

Clock instability doesn't always cause a black screen or crash to desktop. Open heaven benchmark, then open afterburner, ctrl+f, and keep dropping the voltages in very small increments. You'll see what happens.*
Simply lowering the frequency offset is a lot easier and convinient than applying a custom curve, as a troubleshooting measure, specially because editing f/v curve and be finicky, and a curve that is working for you might not work for someone else, you know, the so-called silicon lottery.


well i'm certainly doing my best trying to help by checking my own list of troubleshooting. since we all learned & experienced it differently, there's no way we all think the same thing and have the same method. i'd prefer if we could each focus on the problem and feedback, and way less bickering with each other.

I turned off recording G-force recordings, I did have it recorded to the C drive, I must have clean installed G-force experience cause it WAS to D drive, cause all my older videos are still there.

I did the NVIDIA max, my mhz stay solid with voltage and ram frequency, didn't fix.
I'll try researching the sound thing tomorrow.

I have no extra sound programs drivers, and settings are default, but again a few times the drop happened when i guy dropped his gun on the ground and that sound matched up with the pause, could be fluke these sound and FPS stutters?

Thank you both.

you both have the rog gl**** ??? and when you play CS GO do you get stuttering?

l337g0g0 wrote:

you both have the rog gl**** ??? and when you play CS GO do you get stuttering?


Mine is a GL502VSK (7700hq + 1070). I used to play CS:S and a bit of CSGO, never had a single stutter. Both are installed in the 1TB HDD that came with the laptop.
GPU and CPU are both undervolted, but it works just fine out of the box, no stutters. I only did it to squeeze a bit more performance out of it.

I'd just like to congratulate this thread on 100 pages. I've been watching it grow like a weed for a couple years.

StarJack

So heat not an issue, HD not an issue, voltage not an issue.
Sound PRETTY mush not an issue, even thought I havn't fully went down that path yet.
CPU not over heating, GPU is not over heating.

What are we left with? My system is pretty much clean install with no bells and whistles added, everything is default and low settings, and turned off extra stuff that could have an impact of FPS stutters.

I'm lost... 😞

I' think I'm just stuck with this, until I fluke something out, cause I don't think any trouble shooting is going to track it down, we've run out of reasonable options now.

Thanks you two, you were both great, can't thank you enough for trying to help me with this.
I wish you problem free gaming laptops...